PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather on why he didn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timeline

Patriots get destroyed by Baltimore.
Brady sends a message to the team that they need to listen to the coaches.
Brandon decides he's going to try something new and start freelancing.

Facepalm.

Meriweather is an athletically skilled, immature dimwit.
I'll buy the first two adjectives, athletically skilled and immature, but I don't think he's a dimwit by any stretch. When interviewed, I've thought he sounded introspective and appropriately self-critical. Now, whether or not that is a "show" for his audience or not, I don't know. What I do think is that the clock is ticking for Brandon. I think that history has shown that BB is largely patient with guys he likes and believes can be good, but that patience is not infinite. I think Meriweather is a very talented and reasonably bright guy who wants to be good, but he's running out of time.

I was listening to an interview with Meriweather just after last season or early in tracining camp and he was asked about all the missed tackles the Pats D had last season, and if they where working on that to get it corrected. his answer? he didn't see it as a problem and what they needed to do was to make sure more guys where flying to the ball so if the first guy(s) missed the tackle there would be more there to finish the job. :confused::confused:

in this interview today he was asked if he was going to review the film himself before the team review, his answer? nope, he wants to put that game in the rear view mirror.

me thinks he's just not getting it.
I don't know if the film thing is a sign of anything, he is probably a little banged up after the game and probably didn't get home until about 11:00. I know Wilfork said he hasn't seen the film yet and many times on Monday morning I've heard Brady say he hasn't seen the film yet, that he will go over it with the coaches.

This why we usually pass on players with red flags or any types or rumored character issues. Chad Jackson was the first mistake, a combine warrior whose work ethic and maturity was always questioned. Brandon Merriweather is teetering right now on an uncoachable player with a one-way ticket out of here and a wasted first-round pick rotting in the garbage can.

This why we usually pass on players with red flags or any types or rumored character issues. Chad Jackson was the first mistake, a combine warrior whose work ethic and maturity was always questioned. Brandon Merriweather is teetering right now on an uncoachable player with a one-way ticket out of here and a wasted first-round pick rotting in the garbage can.

hy·per·bo·le   /haɪˈpɜrbəli/
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]

–noun Rhetoric .
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

I have to agree that this is a pretty crazy exaggeration.

First of all, it hasn't been a wasted pick, the guy has been our most productive defensive back over the last two years.

Second, he's not uncoachable - Meriweather has admitted to his mistakes, and has stated that he is working to improve.

If there were reports coming out of the locker room saying meriweather is tearing this team apart (i.e. Adalius Thomas last year) and Meriweather continually denied that and ripped the coaching staff, then maybe you would have a point, but the guy is essentially saying "I messed up, it was on me, the coaches were right, I'll do better from here on out."

That's the language of someone starting to get it, if you ask me, albeit a little slower than we might have liked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft