Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
www.fanball.com
(Yes, it is a fantasy site. Have seen lots of good info here, however.)

To summarize (for copyright reasons - and they cite the Globe as their source):

WR Jakari Wallace [subsequently spelled "Walker", don't know which is right,] impressed at mini-camp. The Fanball article mentions his speed (fastest at Minnesota,) and his low production there as well.

I guess the Pats liked what they saw when they went to scout Kool-Aid, and figured they'd give him a try-out.

What does it add up to? Probably nothing... maybe the sound of footsteps, if you're Bethel Johnson, if this guy does make the team (hey look! A really fast guy with low production! And he'll play for rookie minimum!)

Over-reading the tea leaves,

PFnV

he was a WR for Minnesota, so he knows Maroney of course. The guy is flat out fast. Runs a flat 4.3 40 I think.

Hendrix said:
he was a WR for Minnesota, so he knows Maroney of course. The guy is flat out fast. Runs a flat 4.3 40 I think.
Some say in the 4.2's on his good days.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Some say in the 4.2's on his good days.

i'd believe it..the guy is FAAST. They should seriously put him on punt returns

Does " low production " mean blistering speed but lousy hands??

:confused:

edzo44 said:
Does " low production " mean blistering speed but lousy hands??

:confused:
Minnesota has had two 1,000+ yard rushers the last three years...I'm inclined to view low production for a WR in that system as something more than a "lousy hands" problem. He apparently caught the ball well enough to receive a UDFA contract after mini-camp, unless Maroney needed a teddy bear to help him sleep at night...:eek:

When is the last time a Minnesota receiver had high production?????

From NFL Draft Scout...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10286

2004 Season
Possessor of blazing speed | owns the team's fastest 40-yard clocking with a time of 4.34 seconds | has made huge strides since recovering from a severe ACL injury in 2002 | is a threat to run the ball via the reverse and is a deep threat every time he enters the game | has good strength for his size and is very athletic with a 35-inch vertical jump | should see his numbers continue to improve in 2004.

2003 Season
Became bigger part of the offense as the season progressed | appeared in the final nine games | did not see action in first four non-conference games | had three catches for 44 yards and a touchdown | rushed three times for 29 yards | caught first career pass from 23 yards out for his first career touchdown vs. Michigan State (10/18) | had a reception for nine yards at Illinois (10/25) | had a catch for 12 yards and two rushes for 23 yards vs. Indiana (11/1) | had a career-long 15-yard run vs. the Hoosiers | had one carry for six yards against Oregon | participated in 160 plays | earned first letter.

2002 Season
Freshman Season: Sat out season after tearing the ACL in his left knee during spring practices.

2001 Season
Redshirted.

Draft Scout Player News

10/04/05 - WR Jakari Wallace played hard and well as a receiver and a returner. Wallace caught a team-high five passes for 63 yards and also returned two kickoffs for 103 yards including a long of 65 yards in the loss to Penn State. Glen Mason needs to get the ball to Wallace as the season progresses because he has the kind of speed that can make a defense.

09/06/05 - WR Jakari Wallace needs to be a big-play performer for the Gophers. He caught one pass for eight yards and needs to be more of a downfield threat.

Last edited:
Its me your favorite Gopher fan back :D

Jakari was basically our slot WR, could run reverses and return kicks

Blew out ACL I think 2 years ago so was probably even faster back then

I would characterize him as poor mans Antwaan Randle El, maybe faster but less skilled overall. Great team guy that lines up wherever they need him. Fast as hell.

Maybe he's here to help Maroney feel comfortable and have a familiar face around over the summer. Not a bad idea.

kingvega said:
I would characterize him as poor mans Antwaan Randle El, maybe faster but less skilled overall. Great team guy that lines up wherever they need him. Fast as hell.

Hey, I don't need a poor man's Randle El, I need a poor man's Bethel.

But seriously folks... if we're going to have a guy with great speed, it would be great if he eventually learned to run routes (my main issue with Bethel, although some folks here think he's ready to break out - and I am happy to be proved wrong.)

PFnV

Right. Kool-Aid is Maroney, Gator-Aid is Chad Jackson.

PatsFanInVa said:

I don't get it. The Maroney connection with Kool Aid that is.

I see no Kick or punt return experience.

At 5"8" 175, hard to see him beating out Bethel and Willie Andrews.

Punt returning is difficult. Speed alone does not make a punt returner.

The Kool-aid thing's been the subject of a few media reports. Here's the story, actually, the two stories and the story about the convergence of the stories.

Story 1, the one he told his mother:
Maroney's family evidently did not allow soda pop in the house at all, but did have kool-aid.
So, when the other kids started calling him Kool-Aid, he explained to his mom, it was because they could always come over to his hour and get some Kool-Aid. Simple, no?

Story 2, the one that somehow got out in the media (and is true):
The above story, regarding the availability of Kool-Aid at Maroney's house, is accurate. However, the other kids called him Kool-Aid because when they were playing with matches and started a fire on the front yard, Maroney ran back inside, grabbed the first liquid he found (a pitcher of Kool-Aid,) and put out the fire.

The story about the convergence of the stories - Maroney actually had to fess up to his mother years later, when Story 2 got into the media. She still believed Story 1 at this point.

And then, of all places, New England - where "drinking the kool-aid" is a byword - picks him. How perfect is that?

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
The Kool-aid thing's been the subject of a few media reports. Here's the story, actually, the two stories and the story about the convergence of the stories.

Story 1, the one he told his mother:
Maroney's family evidently did not allow soda pop in the house at all, but did have kool-aid.
So, when the other kids started calling him Kool-Aid, he explained to his mom, it was because they could always come over to his hour and get some Kool-Aid. Simple, no?

Story 2, the one that somehow got out in the media (and is true):
The above story, regarding the availability of Kool-Aid at Maroney's house, is accurate. However, the other kids called him Kool-Aid because when they were playing with matches and started a fire on the front yard, Maroney ran back inside, grabbed the first liquid he found (a pitcher of Kool-Aid,) and put out the fire.

The story about the convergence of the stories - Maroney actually had to fess up to his mother years later, when Story 2 got into the media. She still believed Story 1 at this point.

And then, of all places, New England - where "drinking the kool-aid" is a byword - picks him. How perfect is that?

PFnV

Thanks for the clarifcation. Good stuff!

PatsFanInVa said:

Dillon Must Be..........Bruschi Must Be

redbull-can.jpg
jolt-cola.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PatsFanInVa - - -

Posted By F.B.N - - -
Dillon Must Be..........Bruschi Must Be

Wouldn't Dillon be - Power-Aid and Bruschi be - Band-Aid?

:D

From one gopher fan to another.. Cheers! anyway I agree he is fast, but still short for WR and I am uneasy about his hands. Didnt Logan Payne replace him on PR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back