PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels likely the next Falcons HC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Gonzalez gone and S. Jackson seemingly as cooked as a well-done steak, that's an Atlanta team with a lot of issues. It's definitely helped by playing in a down division, but

TE
RB
OL
DE (pass rushers: note the plural)
LB

are all critical needs before you even start looking at normal upgrading and replacing. And the owner is not going to be in a patient mood. He just fired the winningest coach in team history, basically because of two injury ruined seasons.

I agree that there are lots of holes.

I expect that that ownership would give the new coach a couple of years. Josh is unlikely to get a better shot to develop a team. If not, the trio would all be gone.

There is sufficient cap money. And yes, I could see ATL wanting Ridley and Ayers.
=====

I think that folks greatly over-rate how much someone would want to wait 3 years and POSSIBLY take over a team from Belichick that has won 10 games a year for 15 years. Perhaps, as a coach, it would be much more satisfying to build your own team. And yes, it would be kind of fun to build an offense around Ryan and Jones.
=====

BOTTOM LINE

I don't know whether the job will be offered, However, if it is offered, then I think that this is a good opportunity for Josh.

And, yes, he'll probably make more money.

I expect that that ownership would give the new coach a couple of years. Josh is unlikely to get a better shot to develop a team. If not, the trio would all be gone.

There is sufficient cap money. And yes, I could see ATL wanting Ridley and Ayers.
=====

I think that folks greatly over-rate how much someone would want to wait 3 years and POSSIBLY take over a team from Belichick that has won 10 games a year for 15 years. Perhaps, as a coach, it would be much more satisfying to build your own team. And yes, it would be kind of fun to build an offense around Ryan and Jones.
=====

BOTTOM LINE

I don't know whether the job will be offered, However, if it is offered, then I think that this is a good opportunity for Josh.

I just don't like what I'm seeing from that owner.

Filling the holes in Atlanta would be easier than you may think.
Ridley at Runningback.
Akeem Ayers at defensive end.
Throw money at Pierre Paul.
Sign Mccourty.
They have the cap to do it.
At tight end Jermanine Gresham
And Rob Houser as a move tight end.
Nate Solder at tackle.
Denver will prob release Welker
Welcome to Atlanta.
I doubt the Pats let McCourty go and I think they will try to hang on to Ayers

Why???? He just freed himself to go anywhere!

He likes McDaniels.

He is from SF.

Money is Money and then there is the other!

Yep, the Patriots are going to get rid of the GOAT when he is still an MVP candidate and has a team friendly deal just because.......

There is literally no redeeming quality to this idea at all. It would literally be the single stupidest move in the history of the NFL. It would make the Vikings look like geniuses for the Walker deal.

=====

=====

BOTTOM LINE

IMO - Best opportunity for Josh - Pioli & Dimitroff, Pats friendly faces.
He is not rebuilding the entire team.
He'll be in a weak division

BillB won't be retiring any time soon (unless Ring#4 with Patriots is complete in Feb)

I agree. Patience, stability, an ability to hire a front office staff, and the discipline to keep hands off are some major things I would want to see from an owner. I think in general he supports his front office staff, but I'm not sure Blank has the patience. I think he's too much the marketing guy.

However, that said, I think if the Atlanta job is offered, McDaniels should take it, rather than wait. The structure of the front office will keep Josh in check, personnel-wise, they have a very good QB, and the NFC South sucks. It maximizes his chance of success. What are his other options? NFC West is a meat grinder, a number of the other teams are dumpster fires, and I'd guess he would be waiting for 5 years before Belichick retires. I guess there could be some kind of behind-the-scenes agreement with Kraft/Belichick, but that doesn't seem like their style.

I agree. Dimitroff is a solid GM and Pioli did a great job when he was in New England. I think a staff of McDaniels, Dimitroff and Pioli could put a very competitive team on the field. Also, I just read that there are sources saying the the new head coach will have a say in the future of the GM. Am I the only one that thinks this is ass backwards?

Filling the holes in Atlanta would be easier than you may think.
Ridley at Runningback.
Akeem Ayers at defensive end.
Throw money at Pierre Paul.
Sign Mccourty.
They have the cap to do it.
At tight end Jermanine Gresham
And Rob Houser as a move tight end.
Nate Solder at tackle.
Denver will prob release Welker
Welcome to Atlanta.
Hush you

Curren on WEEI this morning was opening Brian Daboll as OC in waiting

Why???? He just freed himself to go anywhere!

He likes McDaniels.

He is from SF.

Money is Money and then there is the other!
Why would we want that?

I said it before and I'll say it again; Josh McDaniels as the Head Coach and Rex Ryan as the Defensive Coordinator is the perfect outcome for Atlanta. It maximises the strengths of both coaches and significantly improves on the weaknesses of Atlanta.

i do think that Atlanta offers McD a great opportunity...he just better make sure that he gets a top notch DC so that he doesn't have to fix their D all by himself.

i do think that Atlanta offers McD a great opportunity...he just better make sure that he gets a top notch DC so that he doesn't have to fix their D all by himself.
Is there any better situation? Having Matt Ryan is a better situation than OAK, NYJ or SF.

as a offensive coach the falcons are the best HC job he may ever get but saints and panthers are both only a player or two away from being 12 win teams so he will have a lot of work to do IMO to get them back to the playoffs but there offense will be fun to watch

Is there any better situation? Having Matt Ryan is a better situation than OAK, NYJ or SF.

Oakland is $50 million under the cap, has Carr and the fourth pick in the draft. They play in a division where Manning and Rivers are winding down their careers and the other QB is Alex Smith. If Davis isn't going to be a meddler, and will agree to a contract that pretty much keeps the coach safe for a few years, that could be a very good situation.

I just dont see the friendly situation everyone is talking about. They have been killed the last two seasons from injury and had a very noticeable drop off in talent. They have 20mill in cap space for about 9 starters, plus their best player will need a contract this summer to be able to retain him.

Familiar faces in the front office? thats great right now, but who is to say they are around a year from now if they have another season of struggle, if the owner is already willing to pull the plug. Then hes a year in to a contract with a new GM who didnt hire him.

They have some very shiny pieces in Ryan and Jones, but the depth on that team is atrocious and their capspace is more of an illusion given the amount of holes.

Oakland is $50 million under the cap, has Carr and the fourth pick in the draft. They play in a division where Manning and Rivers are winding down their careers and the other QB is Alex Smith. If Davis isn't going to be a meddler, and will agree to a contract that pretty much keeps the coach safe for a few years, that could be a very good situation.
I still think that starting with Matt Ryan is a better spot, Atlanta has a good amount of cap room too

I still think that starting with Matt Ryan is a better spot, Atlanta has a good amount of cap room too

Time flies, my friend. Matt Ryan is already going to be 30 years old when next season starts. I'm probably coming off more harshly anti-ATL than I mean to, but I really don't like what I've seen from the owner.

Last edited:
Good. If MacDaniel's is leaving Atlanta is the franchise that will show the most respect to the Patriots current interests, so if they hire him they v will allow him to focus solely upon his job n in NE until that's up. Dimitroff and Pioli can take care of all of the Falcons needs in the time being.

I'd add that there are two reasons for that (and I'm exaggerating for the sake of simplicity):

1. General affection for the Pats.
2. No need to ask him what he wants in players; they can already guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back