PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo OLB

I did checkout the Football Outsiders website, FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2009 OFFENSIVE LINES

And the Pats have the following percentages as stated on the site,

LE 9% LT 15% Mid Guard 58% RT 11% RE 6%
So they like to run behind Light and Mankins, and the draws up the percentages for the middle runs.

Other teams are righthanded, scanning the website page I could not tell if there was a prefereance league wide, for example the Jets stats are basically just the opposite of ours.

Looking at those stats you would want both S & WLBs to be able to handle the run.

Couple more questions, I always thought the strong side was the TE side?
And how does a guy from England become a NE Patriot fan?

Thanks

The stats I think are available on the Football Outsiders website (check the O-line stats page). I think I'm right in saying that every team runs mostly Centre/RG, and really that's the way it's balanced - in the 3-4 you'll normally (hopefully) have your RDE doubled by the LT and LG, your NT doubled by the C and A.N.Other (used to be the RG, but more and more it's the FB especially in today's game), and then you'll see the LDE doubled by the RT and TE - meaning your RG is free to block down-field. It doesn't always work like that, but it typically does. That's why the left side of the defense is called the strongside and you'll normally have your best run defenders there.

That's where the WILB and the Safeties come in. The SS should line up on the strong side ready to play the run or the pass (think Rodney at his very best), whilst the WILB should be ready to cover anything underneath. That's as far as I understand it anyway. I'm sure some of the guys on here who know way more than I do could put you exactly straight.

Last edited:
And how does a guy from England become a NE Patriot fan?
Thanks

For me it was because all my mates but one were Philly fans for that SuperBowl so I went with the minority and it just stuck from then, some people become a fan because "England" is in the name, some because of the success etc.

Bruschi had terrific hands developed as a DL, that allowed him to literally slip the block and eel around the OL and into the hole. After his stroke he wasn't as agile and was more often locked up by the OL.

In college Bruschi had the best hands of any D-lineman I have ever seen. His hands were like an Aquito master's. And he spent most of the game in the opposing backfield.

There is no one in this draft even remotely close.

I did checkout the Football Outsiders website, FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2009 OFFENSIVE LINES

And the Pats have the following percentages as stated on the site,

LE 9% LT 15% Mid Guard 58% RT 11% RE 6%
So they like to run behind Light and Mankins, and the draws up the percentages for the middle runs.

Other teams are righthanded, scanning the website page I could not tell if there was a prefereance league wide, for example the Jets stats are basically just the opposite of ours.

Looking at those stats you would want both S & WLBs to be able to handle the run.

I had a look and to me the Stats show why you have a strong and a weak side, although both should be (and normally are) capable of taking on blockers. Look at the Jets for example, Harris and Scott are superb against the run.

But then they lose a lot in coverage.

Couple more questions, I always thought the strong side was the TE side?

It is. Why?

And how does a guy from England become a NE Patriot

Bob Kraft :)

I was a fan of the sport for a long while, first watched it back in the 80's, but didn't really have a team. I "liked" the Cowboys when they were winning, but it was really more about Emmitt, Deion, Irvin and Aikman in all honesty. The whole "America's Team" thing was and still is cringeworthy. I stopped following the sport for a few years and then got back into it in about 2002. I told myself that this time I would pick a team to try and help me follow it more, but I didn't want to follow the team that won the last SB - so the Buccs were right out.

I enjoyed watching a few teams, the Bengals, the Pats and the Colts, but when Bob Kraft was linked with buying Liverpool FC (my football team), the deal was sealed.

Last edited:
Bruschi is my draft measuring stick. At Arizona he was relentless, could not help noticing him, every single play, how he lasted till the 3rd round is beyond me.

He has to be one of the all time Patriots, quite the career. We will see if Brady can match his.

In college Bruschi had the best hands of any D-lineman I have ever seen. His hands were like an Aquito master's. And he spent most of the game in the opposing backfield.

Interesting analysis as always.

Ochmed, is there anyone you can see currently in the College game with hands like Bruschi's?

Last edited:
It is. Why?

Just the way your response was written, I thought you said it differently.

Oh, bye the way that website also shows that the Right side of the Pats OL is significantly weaker than the Left, food for another thread.

Thanks

Bruschi is my draft measuring stick. At Arizona he was relentless, could not help noticing him, every single play, how he lasted till the 3rd round is beyond me.

He has to be one of the all time Patriots, quite the career. We will see if Brady can match his.

He was a tweener. Not big enough to be a DL and teams could not project him as an OLB.

This is probably were the difference between BB and BP manifests itself most glaringly.

BP (with a little help from Bobby Grier) sees a potential LB playmaker (Bruschi) and draft him. BP is left with the job of "coaching the player up". Three years later a star is developed.

BB on the other hand, would never have taken Bruschi. Why? Because BB did not see Bruschi on film doing what he needs done, so he would have passed and hired a veteran retread. Plus BB shows no desire to coach up any OLB prospects. Why? It makes no sense. With just TBC alone, BB has shown he can do it. Is having a Colvin or Thomas so much more preferable to developing talent within your system? He does it with every position except LB. It makes no sense.

BB has shown he will draft a playmaker at other defensive positions and try to coach them up. A few years ago he took the kid from Rutgers, whose daddy played for the Jets. It didn't work out exactly right, but it was worth the gamble.

Why won't BB do it with LBers???????? This bizarre behavior has hurt the team and is a major contributing factor in our decline.

BB has shown he will draft a playmaker at other defensive positions and try to coach them up. A few years ago he took the kid from Rutgers, whose daddy played for the Jets. It didn't work out exactly right, but it was worth the gamble.

If you mean Dan Klecko, he played for Temple.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back