PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Slauson fined $10K for block on Brian Cushing

Status
Not open for further replies.
laughable...but then, Goodell's entire 2012 performance has been a running sitcom on Comedy Central

There should an official investigation from the League Office of the New York Jets from Slauson all the way up to Rex Ryan. Goodell should be fired for covering up "Knee-Gate".

It wasn't legal. You aren't allowed to blck below the knees from behind...that's been a rule for years.

I don't think they should fine higher just because of the result of the play. I doubt intent to injure was there. If tts the Andrade fine or that kind of personal fine then so be it...as long as they're consistent with it in the future.

It wasn't legal, there is absolutely no denying that. But, and I mentioned this at the time as well, I have to wonder if that was retaliation for something earlier in the game. The intent to injure is clearly there but I don't remember hearing anything about Slauson being a dirty player. I've certainly heard (and seen) that he completely sucks, but nothing about being dirty.

It wasn't legal, there is absolutely no denying that. But, and I mentioned this at the time as well, I have to wonder if that was retaliation for something earlier in the game. The intent to injure is clearly there but I don't remember hearing anything about Slauson being a dirty player. I've certainly heard (and seen) that he completely sucks, but nothing about being dirty.

I don't think the intent to injure was there at all. People just over exaggerate.

Last edited:
I don't think the intent to injure was there at all. People just over exaggerate.

I think it was. There were a lot of ways that he could have made that block on Cushing without going for the knees, and he still went for the knees unforced. That tells me that he was aiming for the knees. Whenever that happens, it's assumed that there is intent to injure there. That's what I get out of the play, as someone that used to line up at TE and has had plenty of experience dealing with LB's and DE's in the past. The only thing I have to ask is whether or not Cushing did something earlier in the game to pre-meditate it.

I think it was. There were a lot of ways that he could have made that block on Cushing without going for the knees, and he still went for the knees unforced. That tells me that he was aiming for the knees. Whenever that happens, it's assumed that there is intent to injure there. That's what I get out of the play, as someone that used to line up at TE and has had plenty of experience dealing with LB's and DE's in the past. The only thing I have to ask is whether or not Cushing did something earlier in the game to pre-meditate it.

Sorry but at that game speed you don't even have time to process the thought. You aren't taught to stand around, you're taught to o after the nearest guy you can. He happened to do it in a way which was dirty and sadly the result was a season ending injury. It happens...it's part of the sport.

Blocking below the knees is legal from the front, just not behind...it's not done just solely to injure as you will know if you played TE. Cutting people's legs from under them is a commonly taught technique if you're undersized or having trouble with your man...it's even part of the play calling system by design.

He just made an error...a costly one.

You're just assuming and, given you have no real reason to think he wanted to injure him as you don't know him and can't find a premeditated reason, I don't think ou can judge an intent to injure.

As I said, and you should know this as I do through playing experience, you don't have time to process that thought...you just play and as an offensive lineman, he's taught to get downfield and hit the first man he can get his hands on.

He just did it n the wrong way.

If this was a Pats player getting fined...and maybe even suspends as people have suggested...the turnaround in opinion would be laughable.

Last edited:
So... he gets a $10,000 find for a hit with very obvious intent to injure and Belichick gets fined $50,000 for trying to get the attention of a replacement official.

:confused:

Don't all on-field transgressions have set fine amounts set out in the CBA? Because Goddell's hands would be tied and $10k would be all he could fine if that's what the owners and players agreed upon.

Coming from someone who didn't see anything really dirty about Pollard's hits on Brady/Gronk/Welker, that looked like a dirty play.

Sounds like Goodell is advertising a sale for taking out a defensive player for only 10K. Though, it hardly makes sense to do that in the AFCE, but it we had known that when playing Baltimore, maybe we could have lured Pollard in the Box :D

Just kidding on that last part, other than the TB hit, I'm thinking he was just doing his thing.

I'll allow the Joker to explain this.

3qchj5.jpg

It wasn't legal. You aren't allowed to blck below the knees from behind...that's been a rule for years.

I don't think they should fine higher just because of the result of the play. I doubt intent to injure was there. If tts the standard fine or that kind of personal foul then so be it...as long as they're consistent with it in the future.

IMO no ones goes out with true intent to injure. Guy was just playing hard. YOU try processing the game at that speed. He's taught to hit people and that's what he did.

That is what I thought.

What happened to the old rule: 'IF YOU CAN SEE THE NAME - YOU CANT HIT THEM.'
Let alone in the knees. all this 'it was a legal hit'; is just such BS.
This is another one where mediots and nfl just cover up instead of doing there jobs. sexy rexy throws out 'i think it MIGHT have been a legal hit' and everyone is quick on the bandwagon to go ... oh yeah, oh yeah it was just unlucky.
No way in hell anyone gets back up from a block like that 9 times out of 10. So it has to be illegal or there would be 20 guys carted off every game.

Coming from someone who didn't see anything really dirty about Pollard's hits on Brady/Gronk/Welker, that looked like a dirty play.

Well they can't really be dirty if he wasn't breaking the rules...so you're being another homer/paranoid Pats fan. Plus you're talking absolute rubbish if you think there was anything in the slightest bit dirty on either the Gronk or Welker TACKLES. Neither were really what you call 'hits' so don't over dramatise it.

If you wanna argue the hit on Brady was dirty I can kinda see the logic..but it wasn't against the rules at the time and he was only doing his job. If you wanna ***** about it and say there was intent there then fine...but you don't really know so it's a matter of opinion.

But please, don't put the Welker/Gronk incidents in that same category.

Also, it would help if you actually read everything i've said in this thread. I acknowledged Slauson's hit was dirty...I just said the intent to injure wasn't there. You don't have to set out to deliberately injure someone for it o be classified as a dirty play.

Last edited:
this is so ridiculous it almost describes total lunacy...OK, whatever John...your idiotic undercover Rat troll impersonation of an English fan is getting old...and the attempt to trip that Miami receiver in play by your practice squad wasn't an attempt to injure either...Rex just teaches that way...trip the guy in play....throw your body at the back of a player's knee...hey...definitely NOT intentional...you just teach it that way...to be dirty...scummy..like a toe saucker....log off and try another handle...

Last edited:
Others have been fined lots more for doing much less. Go figure the former Jet employee gives a light punishment to Slauson.

how many of these OBVIOUS pro Jet decisions by Goodell the past four years does it take before people finally start to see the truth?

I wish i could spit on this low life

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST