PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt "Lite"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGameguy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Is it me, or does this guy shrink worse in big games than Tomlinson against a tough run defense? Don't get me wrong, he's good at run blocking, especially when he pulls to block downfield, but he just looked awful against Freeney.

The irony is that Light is supposed to be an athletic, nimble, quick LT. I just can't stand it when he gets praised for being such a great Tackle. If you have two pass rush moves in your arsenal you will blow by him everytime.

I don't mean to nit pick in a big win but he was bad for long stretches. If that SF choice stays as high as it does, BB needs to consider drafting Jake Long from Michigan if he's available. The team can't keep covering for his weaknesses.

That's ridiculous. Freeney is a great pass rusher, he'll make just about any Tackle look awful.
And it's not like you can put all of your focus on him with Mathis on the other side.

He had a very tough assignment, dude. He was manned up all day long, and he's going to get beaten at some point.

Don't forget, the offensive tackle is being attacked, not the other way around. Let them run the ball and we'll see how Freeney makes out.

I saw some plays where Matt handled Freeney brilliantly. Freeney pulled a spin move on him, and Matt anticipated it, spun with him, and kept him locked up for the play.

But you cannot be serious about expecting him to simply dominate Freeney. That ain't right.

Um, Kaczur did not look too solid either...

This isn't the only game or opponent he's played poorly against. He has trouble against EVERY speed rusher. He's not some rook. He gets called for a lot of holding calls caus ehe gets beat so often. That leg whip on Freeney was ridiculous too. We all love to criticize the Broncos for questionable blocking like that, well that leg whip was pretty bad too. Take the homer glasses off.

Is it me, or does this guy shrink worse in big games than Tomlinson against a tough run defense? Don't get me wrong, he's good at run blocking, especially when he pulls to block downfield, but he just looked awful against Freeney.

The irony is that Light is supposed to be an athletic, nimble, quick LT. I just can't stand it when he gets praised for being such a great Tackle. If you have two pass rush moves in your arsenal you will blow by him everytime.

I don't mean to nit pick in a big win but he was bad for long stretches. If that SF choice stays as high as it does, BB needs to consider drafting Jake Long from Michigan if he's available. The team can't keep covering for his weaknesses.

It is you.....and I'm not getting you wrong.

Freeney is the one of, if not the, premier pass rushing lineman in the game. He will win some.

I figured people beotching about Light or the OL in general would start with the first loss. If nothing else you have exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:
Light normally plays well in big games -- e.g versus Sn Diego last year. He's generally pretty solid IMHO.

Matt had a hard job to do and at times he got beat. But I ve seen enough of him to know that he can get the job done.

This isn't the only game or opponent he's played poorly against. He has trouble against EVERY speed rusher. He's not some rook. He gets called for a lot of holding calls caus ehe gets beat so often. That leg whip on Freeney was ridiculous too. We all love to criticize the Broncos for questionable blocking like that, well that leg whip was pretty bad too. Take the homer glasses off.

It wasn't like the leg whip was a premeditated block. Light was desperate because he got beat badly, and if doesn't trip him up, Brady is dead.

I rather he get that PF then give up the big hit on Brady.

But yes, Light is overmatched sometimes.

When has he ever dominated a good speed-rushing DE by himself? He's had a good game here and there. He's paid to dominate and keep these guys off Brady's back, not to "give his best shot against a tough assignment." Instead we have to constantly keep other players on his side.

I guess it was ok when Duane Starks got beat on all those deep passes, because really, there were only just a few of them, and it's tough to be alone on the island. Hey, you're gonna win some and you're gonna lose some right?

Please

Both tackles did a questionable job today... it isn't complaining, just a fact.

Both of the colts "spinners" are always doing that to teams.

That is their special move.

Kazcur is not really on my favorite list anyhow... it would be wise to upgrade his pos.

The Pats won, and that is the most important thing of all.

The Pats didn't have ANY answer for Addai.

Addai looks MUCH better than Maroney at this space in time.

There are improvement needs most def.

If not players... then techniques.

When has he ever dominated a good speed-rushing DE by himself? He's had a good game here and there. He's paid to dominate and keep these guys off Brady's back, not to "give his best shot against a tough assignment." Instead we have to constantly keep other players on his side.
Here lies the fault in your logic. If Matt Light had pancaked Dwight Freeney on half the plays, you'd say something like "Man, Dwight Freeney is a scrub! He must suck, if Matt Light could block him." Please understand that Dwight Freeney is All-Pro, so you're asking Matt Light to be All-World or something.

You might also be interested to know that the Colts do in fact pay Dwight Freeney quite a bit of money to pressure Tom Brady. I looked up their cap values for last year at USAtoday, and the Pats pay Matt Light half as much to protect Tom Brady as the Colts pay Freeney to hurt him. I think we ended up getting pretty good bang for our buck, considering it was Robert Mathis, not Freeney, who racked up all the Colts' sacks.

I guess it was ok when Duane Starks got beat on all those deep passes, because really, there were only just a few of them, and it's tough to be alone on the island. Hey, you're gonna win some and you're gonna lose some right?
Well, I guess we'll see if BB replaces Matt Light with Wesley Britt after the bye, won't we?

he can make 55 good plays, and 3 bad ones, and that means he had a bad game. not an easy task.

Here lies the fault in your logic. If Matt Light had pancaked Dwight Freeney on half the plays, you'd say something like "Man, Dwight Freeney is a scrub! He must suck, if Matt Light could block him." Please understand that Dwight Freeney is All-Pro, so you're asking Matt Light to be All-World or something.

You might also be interested to know that the Colts do in fact pay Dwight Freeney quite a bit of money to pressure Tom Brady. I looked up their cap values for last year at USAtoday, and the Pats pay Matt Light half as much to protect Tom Brady as the Colts pay Freeney to hurt him. I think we ended up getting pretty good bang for our buck, considering it was Robert Mathis, not Freeney, who racked up all the Colts' sacks.

Well, I guess we'll see if BB replaces Matt Light with Wesley Britt after the bye, won't we?

Well when Freeney gets his sacks or pressures, the majority aren't when they are overloading his side, which is the defensive equivalent of what the Pats have to do with light to make him successful against a speed rush. Maybe a TE isn't on his side every down, but they are adjusting their playcalling to have someone come in and chip him before going for the route. It could hamstring our offense, and it has in previous seasons.

Haha I think we're more likely to see when they draft Oher or Long :snob:

Well when Freeney gets his sacks or pressures, the majority aren't when they are overloading his side, which is the defensive equivalent of what the Pats have to do with light to make him successful against a speed rush. Maybe a TE isn't on his side every down, but they are adjusting their playcalling to have someone come in and chip him before going for the route. It could hamstring our offense, and it has in previous seasons.

Great defensive players do have a tendency to hamstring offenses, yes. Presumably that's why we pay Seymour the big bucks.

Haha I think we're more likely to see when they draft Oher or Long :snob:

Oh, but you compared Matt Light to Duane Starks. That was a mid-season benching in favor of a rookie. Fair's fair.

Seriously, even if Light were Jonathan Ogden or Orlando Pace that means he'd be about evenly matched with Freeney in the passing game. Freeney didn't even have a real monster game.

And Light has come up huge on numerous occasions (pretty much all of them) in the playoffs so I'd be inclined to say the exact opposite.

Well obviously Light isn't as bad as Starks, that was an extreme example. My point was that this is the NFL, anyone at this level isn't going to make mistakes every play, but that just a handful can be the difference between poor performance and good performance. You guys are making me say Light is worse than I want to. Hes a good run blocker and he does alright in passprotection, but he falters against any good speed rush.

Light had a bad game but if he is bad in 2 of 10 games then I am o.k. with that,What I want to know is why was K. Brady not in on some of the obvious Blitzing plays

Why all the negativity and nitpick?

If anything, going against the hostile Indy crowd noise HURTS the OL-likely makes them jump out of their stances later than normal.

This W will take a long way toward HFA, and everyone's complaining? If I were a Colts fan, I would be complaining like mad HOW we lost a 10 pt 4th qtr lead!:bricks:

Light is not considered,and never was considered a "GREAT" LT. I don't think he's even rated in the top ten at his position.But 95%of the time he gets the job done. He has up and down games against players such as Freeny. Last Jan. he stopped S.MARYMEN cold no help. So hes not as bad as you think he is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference