PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Chatham analysis on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperpat

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Didn't see a post on this and thought folks might want to hear what Matt Chatham had to say about AFC Champ. game. He definitely doesn't agree with much of the one-line summaries we've been hearing since the game, the most prevalent being "The Patriots got beaten up." Worth a listen.

Matt Chatham, former Patriots LB, recaps the AFC Championship game

Didn't see a post on this and thought folks might want to hear what Matt Chatham had to say about AFC Champ. game. He definitely doesn't agree with much of the one-line summaries we've been hearing since the game, the most prevalent being "The Patriots got beaten up." Worth a listen.

I will have to listen, since I also dont agree with much of the knee jerk one-line analysis either.

I will have to listen, since I also dont agree with much of the knee jerk one-line analysis either.

Not sure if this was intended or a Freudian slip, but it works. The "beaten up" thing has at-a-glance pack "analysis" written all over it. Lots of herd following happening.

About to listen to Chatham now.

I just re-watched the game last night and felt the Pats just blew it. They fought hard but kept making stupid mistakes that cost them the game. Add to the fact, the balls just did not bounce their way (first pick of Brady) and it became a blow out.

Normally, the Pats win because they never beat themselves. They make the plays and make it generally look easy. In the AFCGC, they were fighting themselves, nothing came easy.

I just re-watched the game last night and felt the Pats just blew it. They fought hard but kept making stupid mistakes that cost them the game. Add to the fact, the balls just did not bounce their way (first pick of Brady) and it became a blow out.

Normally, the Pats win because they never beat themselves. They make the plays and make it generally look easy. In the AFCGC, they were fighting themselves, nothing came easy.

Seems to be a growing consensus among people who have re-watched, first Bedard and now Chatham. I just listened and here is some of what Chatham said:

A lot of bad football ....Handful of mental errors in first half by offense.

Pats were very physical in first half, Ryan Wendell was kicking Ray Lewis's ass in a lot of instances. ... But there were a lot mistakes. A lot of non-Patriot football type things.

Patriots were much more physical in first half and into third (as far as Chatham has gotten). Had drives fail because of mistakes. .. People take the Pollard hit and transpose that over the entire game. ... The idea they were bullied by this big physical Ravens team is non sense. ... It felt like the Patriots left a ton of plays out there.

Some of the mistakes were Talib being penalized on an early punt return, a few uncharacteristic mistakes by Gregory, return of poor tackling at inopportune times, Hightower having some problems losing the edge. Also cited a couple of mistakes by Brady: Going for the bigger gai on risker passes when Woodhead was wide open, and not pump faking Keruger on that screen where AHern was wide open but the pass sailed over his head. Also said if the Ravens DBs were intimidating Pats receivers you'd see alligator arms, which you didn't.

I don't love Chatham's writing but his appearances on Mut and Merloni are terrific. Just really insightful, level headed stuff. Looking forward to hearing this.

Thanks for the link.

I haven't commented on the game much as I haven't re watched it yet. However if you told most Pats fans that the ravens after their first possession of the second half would have 7 points most would have signed up for that. I know I would have signed up for that in a second.

Also cited a couple of mistakes by Brady: Going for the bigger gain on riskier passes when Woodhead was wide open, and not pump faking Keruger on that screen where AHern was wide open but the pass sailed over his head.

I also watched the replay last night.

On some plays, TB looked like god. On others, he seemed really out of sync. I dunna know, but i'm seeing a trend. The guy (can't blame him) is trying too damn hard out there, be perfect and sometimes make stuff happen.

IE: Hes pressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also watched the replay last night.

On some plays, TB looked like god. On others, he seemed really out of sync. I dunna know, but i'm seeing a trend. The guy (can't blame him) is trying too damn hard out there, be perfect and sometimes make stuff happen.

IE: Hes pressing.

"Pressing" might be a better word than "choking".

I would dispute one point, however, and that's the pump fake idea. What if Krugman doesn't bite on it?

somewhat contrasting with bedard who said some of the players got tossed around

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe