PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel: What have we here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't get to see the game against Miami, what can you fellas (or ladies) tell me about Matt's performance ? Stats-wise, pretty impressive for a 7th rounder who hasn't thrown a TD pass since High Scool. He had to be pretty pumped up after throwing 2 TD's. I wonder how close he came to being USC's starting QB after Palmer left. Talent wise, he had to be pretty close. What can you tell me about his talent, for instance, arm strength, pocket awareness, poise, etc.

Felgie's take, pretty much what I saw.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=119695

Quarterbacks — B-minus
My opinion hasn’t changed since training camp: Matt Cassel is going to play in this league some day. Yes, he looked like a skittish rookie on many plays, dropping his first shotgun snap and displaying “happy feet†on several plays throughout the game. But when he decided to set his feet in the pocket and deliver the ball, the results were mostly positive. He threw a great seam route to Andre Davis for 36 yards in the third quarter and followed that up with several strikes over the middle in the fourth (30 yards to Ben Watson, 21 yards to Childress). His last-play touchdown to Watson was a laser. The only question is whether the coaches are considering moving him up past Doug Flutie to the No. 2 spot behind Tom Brady in the playoffs (BC fans can send hate mail to the email address above).

personally--he started slow, and then started to get into a comfort zone as the game progressed

one of the things that struck me was that Brady and Cassell were communicating openly between plays--more than one would usually see, but probably not surprising considering Brady's role on the offense

When the game slows down for Cassell, it looks like he has a future in the NFL.

Not sure he could have ended up in better hands in the NFL.

Flying Fungi said:
one of the things that struck me was that Brady and Cassell were communicating openly between plays--more than one would usually see, but probably not surprising considering Brady's role on the offense

Not sure he could have ended up in better hands in the NFL.
Brady v. Favre - TEAM v. mememe - disrespect v. fawning adoration :violent:

There is just no substitute for actually playing against a full speed NFL team

No amount of practice can prepare you (from what I'm told!)

That being said, Cassell came in, unsurprisingly looked rusty, and maybe a little bit tentative... then within a quarter really began to warm up and show a degree of poise one would expect from an NFL QB... and all this while playing alongside many backups, against the Dolphins starters, in just 3 total quarters of play

Not bad all things considered.

From what I'm hearing, seems like he is a better prospect than Rohan Davey, Kliff Kingsbury & Michael Bishop. Amazing for a 7th round pick. In fact they kept this unknown 7th rounder over Davey. It'll be interesting to see next years training camp and preseason games to see whether the Pats need a veteran backup to Brady, or if Cassel will lock up the spot. I am not comfortable with Flutie as the backup, don't really think we can win with him in there (look at what Jacksonville did with Garrard in there when Leftwich got hurt).

Box_O_Rocks said:
Brady v. Favre - TEAM v. mememe - disrespect v. fawning adoration :violent:
Ohh.. A-fricken-men brutha. My whole opinion of Favre changed with that "not in my job description" crap, and my appreciation of Brady went up even more.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Ohh.. A-fricken-men brutha. My whole opinion of Favre changed with that "not in my job description" crap, and my appreciation of Brady went up even more.

agreed--Tom went up another notch for me the other day--watching him help Cassell--not unlike the support Bledsoe gave him...

scott99 said:
What have we here?

For two seasons now, it's been a cliche to say that we have the next Joe Montana.

When Tommy Terrif took over for Drew, he had ... what? ... 18 NFL games on the bench "under his belt".

Cassel has 15. After Sunday's 2nd half, i think, more likely than not ... we also have the next Steve Young.

flutie2phelan said:
For two seasons now, it's been a cliche to say that we have the next Joe Montana.

When Tommy Terrif took over for Drew, he had ... what? ... 18 NFL games on the bench "under his belt".

Cassel has 15. After Sunday's 2nd half, i think, more likely than not ... we also have the next Steve Young.

and lucky for this Steve Young...he doesn't have to suffer in sherbet orange for a few years first... :D

flutie2phelan said:

From your mouth to God's ears.....lol.....Two Hall of Fame QB's on one team ? I think it can only happen once......right ???

Hey, maybe Cassel won't play that ridiculous disrespect card Brady did yesterday.

Pretty sad day for Brady...one of his worst as a Pro I think. He is getting smacked all over the media today. For opposing team fans, like our buddies at the Indy forum, they are LOVING this...Tom has fed right into their "Cindy Brady is a whiney ***** card"...

The Pats have 37 guys on the roster who have SB rings, WHY in God's name does our QB think we need to play the disrespect card?

Hey, I love TB, but this was just dumb!!!!

Yep.....the guys in my office were all over me for that, especially the Steeler fan. So what I say, where is the actual question from the reporter asking about disrespect ? I bet it was taken out of context. There was no way he just started blabbing about disrespect without someone asking him about it in question form, I would love to see the question that started the Brady comments. But i will say this, the Pats ARE the most disrespected dynasty of all time. If you watched any of the so called experts, they had the Pats dead and buried every week. Who cares, he can whine all he wants as long as he is the Tom Brady circa 2003 & 2004 playoffs.

scott99 said:
Yep.....the guys in my office were all over me for that, especially the Steeler fan. So what I say, where is the actual question from the reporter asking about disrespect ? I bet it was taken out of context. There was no way he just started blabbing about disrespect without someone asking him about it in question form, I would love to see the question that started the Brady comments. But i will say this, the Pats ARE the most disrespected dynasty of all time. If you watched any of the so called experts, they had the Pats dead and buried every week. Who cares, he can whine all he wants as long as he is the Tom Brady circa 2003 & 2004 playoffs.

I just hate to see the whining get in the way of people appreciating a great QB. Like Marino, Brady is starting to establish a rather bad reputation for himself. The comments after the San Diego game and now this. Just seems very strange to me that he thinks they really either are disrespected (which is dumb) or that he has to say it to fire up the troops - both are just awful and tired! IMHO...

I even think BB seems on the defensive today when asked about TB's comments. Very uncomfortable situation for him to be in, but what is a HC to do when asked about comments that his 3 time SB QB said...he had to say he agreed with him. Oh the scandal if he didn't agree with Tommy boy!

Last edited:
Drewwho said:
I just hate to see the whining get in the way of people appreciating a great QB. Like Marino, Brady is starting to establish a rather bad reputation for himself. The comments after the San Diego game and now this. Just seems very strange to me that he thinks they really either are disrespected (which is dumb) or that he has to say it to fire up the troops - both are just awful and tired! IMHO...

I even think BB seems on the defensive today when asked about TB's comments. Very uncomfortable situation for him to be in, but what is a HC to do when asked about comments that his 3 time SB QB said...he had to say he agreed with him. Oh the scandal if he didn't agree with Tommy boy!

I think this will all quickly disappear if Brady has his usual playoff performance. It's a non-factor. Don't forget, Tom Brady is a warrior, and obviously hates to lose....the ultimate underdog who is striving for success......and respect. To h*ll with all the people making a big deal of this, mostly jealous Patriot's haters.

I don't know. If Brady is so hated now, maybe we should start Cassel instead.

Brady's comments are a non-issue. The drop kick is a non-issue. It all goes to show that when you are the guy they are looking up to, they either throw roses or turds, usually some of each.

Cassel looked good when he got warmed up. I was impressed. I'd guess that he's already number two.

Drewwho said:

That crappy denial of service attack means you don't need to worry about having some of the numerous 'Pats Suck', 'our season is over' posts and threads linked here to remind you of all the crap dumped on the team this season. Lincoln Kennedy on Total Access tonight started whining about how sick he was of talking about the Patriots, but he could brag on his Raiders when he was supposed to be talking about the Bengals. If the TEAM chooses to remember those faint-hearted fans and gleeful pundits, and carry a big chip on their shoulder into each playoff game it's because they earned it.

Box_O_Rocks said:
That crappy denial of service attack means you don't need to worry about having some of the numerous 'Pats Suck', 'our season is over' posts and threads linked here to remind you of all the crap dumped on the team this season. Lincoln Kennedy on Total Access tonight started whining about how sick he was of talking about the Patriots, but he could brag on his Raiders when he was supposed to be talking about the Bengals. If the TEAM chooses to remember those faint-hearted fans and gleeful pundits, and carry a big chip on their shoulder into each playoff game it's because they earned it.

:agree:

Tom wasn't whining, he was reminding folks with conveniently short memories that the 2005 Patriots were almost universally given up for dead for most of the season. Including hereabouts. Hell one of their own, Ted Johnson, in just the last few weeks has gone on local and national programs to say he still thinks they can't beat the Colts.

I really have to wonder too about any supposed Pat's fan who would say:

Dewwwho said:
Like Marino, Brady is starting to establish a rather bad reputation for himself. The comments after the San Diego game and now this. Just seems very strange to me that he thinks they really either are disrespected (which is dumb) or that he has to say it to fire up the troops - both are just awful and tired! IMHO...

not to mention:

Drewwho said:
Hey, maybe Cassel won't play that ridiculous disrespect card Brady did yesterday.

Pretty sad day for Brady...one of his worst as a Pro I think. He is getting smacked all over the media today. For opposing team fans, like our buddies at the Indy forum, they are LOVING this...Tom has fed right into their "Cindy Brady is a whiney ***** card"...

:explative

JoeSixPat said:
There is just no substitute for actually playing against a full speed NFL team.

Huh? I thought he played against the Dolphins.

ZING! *rimshot*

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back