PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Bowen's analysis on why Gronk gets called for OPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP2

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
From BSPN so I am not posting link, but am copy/pasting the critical excerpt:

Instead, I don't think the NFL refs have any idea of how to handle a player like Gronk. It's a lot like what we saw with Shaquille O'Neal back in the 1990s when a defender would go flying, Shaq would get nailed for an offensive foul, and just raise his arms like, "What'd I do?" The end result always looked worse than it was because of the sheer size difference between the two players involved. If a guy gets back on his heels against Gronk from a press position, forget about it. The defender is toast. There is just too much size, strength and power from Gronk to throw some poor technique out there.

To ask Gronk to change his style of play is ridiculous. Maybe the officials will catch up, maybe they won't. But one thing is for certain: Defensive backs better get those knees bent and be ready to battle Gronk. They can't always count on the refs to bail them out.

I had that exact thought, with Shaq and all. Gronk's so explosive and huge that anyone who tries to jam him gets blown the hell up, and it looks like it's Gronk's fault so they throw a flag.

I suppose if the officials had been calling false OPIs on Gronk for his whole career, that might be a valid argument. Gronk played the same before this year, and rarely got called for it. The reason is obvious.

Last edited:
I suppose if the officials had been calling false OPIs on Gronk for his whole career, that might be a valid argument. Gronk played the same before this year, and rarely got called for it. The reason is obvious.
To clarify, I'm talking about the OPIs specifically. I think defenders have been getting away with mugging Gronk for a long time, and that is likely similar to the Shaq effect.

The problem is that it gives defenses the ability to put even lighter defensive players on gronk because they will get moved even more. That doesn't sound important, but a team throwing a 200lb free safety or even a corner on gronk takes away what makes him so special. He is too athletic for clunky linebackers and too big for dbs. This means he's just too athletic for linebackers and dbs can do whatever they want.

I said it on Monday that this was 1991 Shaq at LSU all over again.

Shaq would get the ball with his back facing the basket, start to dribble and back in. He was quick with his feet and so powerful that the defender wasn't able to get in a position to take a charge so he would be shuffling and get sent backward 6ft. The result was an offensive foul on Shaq. Refs didnt know what to do.

I believe this is the same as what Polian did years ago when the Patriots CB's were disrupting his receivers. The competition committee or some other committee like that made OPI a point of emphasis in the off season and I bet the example they used and showed to all the refs possibly with video was Gronk muscling a defender. This is why I believe that although Gronk was just made an example of this, so many refs see him play and associate it maybe even subsconciously with OPI.

roger-goodell.jpg

Correct
Correct, last year Lafell was the opi whipping boy.

Correct, last year Lafell was the opi whipping boy.

Those were different though. Those were pick plays where he was blocking a tad early, and they dried up as the season went on. I think those were a case of LaFell not having the timing of the offense down yet, as most of them were technically good calls (as memory serves).

That doesn't relieve you of the obligation to post a link. Ian has covered this.

Unless you paid mr bowen or have a legal fund for Ian.:)

+1 Great point.

Maybe the Pats should call an early play in which Brady throws it away intentionally while Gronk throws a db outta the club like he did Sergio Brown so that the refs can get the quota out of the way.

I had that exact thought, with Shaq and all. Gronk's so explosive and huge that anyone who tries to jam him gets blown the hell up, and it looks like it's Gronk's fault so they throw a flag.

The difference is that Shaq was dropping his shoulder and moving people out of his way. That IS a foul, or was until the NBA decided to make it legal. That's why when Bill Russell (the greatest basketball player who ever lived) was asked how Wilt would be defended now, his answer was that he couldn't be if they allowed him the same freedom. Back in the real days of the NBA they called offensive fouls.

What Gronk is going through is the exact opposite. He's staying within the rules but the officials are calling him for fouls anyway.

To ask Gronk to change his style of play is ridiculous. Maybe the officials will catch up, maybe they won't. But one thing is for certain: Defensive backs better get those knees bent and be ready to battle Gronk. They can't always count on the refs to bail them out.

They don't need the refs to bail them out all of the time. Just on a key 3rd down or two throughout the game to get the pats offense off the field.

NFL refereeing 101: Its not about how many penalties are called its about when they're called.

wish they had statistics on how many penalties are called on 3rd downs, in the 4th quarter etc.

That's excessive. People should be able to choose whether or not they follow links.

Maybe the Pats should call an early play in which Brady throws it away intentionally while Gronk throws a db outta the club like he did Sergio Brown so that the refs can get the quota out of the way.
I like that. Except maybe not too early, let the DB establish how he's going to play Gronk, see how the refs are calling it, and then demonstrate what it looks like if GRONK *really* commits OPI by extending his arms...

I said it on Monday that this was 1991 Shaq at LSU all over again.

Shaq would get the ball with his back facing the basket, start to dribble and back in. He was quick with his feet and so powerful that the defender wasn't able to get in a position to take a charge so he would be shuffling and get sent backward 6ft. The result was an offensive foul on Shaq. Refs didnt know what to do.
The recollection of Shaq dribbling (sic) is scary. Shaq did not dribble, he bounced the ball up and down in front of him while pushing the defender with his big butt until he got close enough to dunk the ball. Shaq was great at what he did but it wasn't basketball. He was just bigger and stronger than anyone else and it was ok for him to push the defender but it was terrible if they pushed him. Gronk is similar. He runs into guys and gets open. If he does that he should be called.

That's excessive. People should be able to choose whether or not they follow links.

I'd agree with you if he controlled our ability to go to the site and find the article. All he's doing is saying he doesn't want to participate in their success by making it easier for us to do so.

The recollection of Shaq dribbling (sic) is scary. Shaq did not dribble, he bounced the ball up and down in front of him while pushing the defender with his big butt until he got close enough to dunk the ball. Shaq was great at what he did but it wasn't basketball. He was just bigger and stronger than anyone else and it was ok for him to push the defender but it was terrible if they pushed him. Gronk is similar. He runs into guys and gets open. If he does that he should be called.

You might be being a little general here in your assessment of Shaq and Gronk's reasons for success.

I don't think you get to be #6 all time in scoring in NBA history or having 63 touchdowns in 75 NFL games without being incredibly talented, having excellent fundamentals and knowing how to play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back