Not open for further replies.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The expectation is that Laurence Maroney will be Corey Dillon's understudy this season and see spot playing time. HOWEVER, what if Maroney really tears it up in training camp? What happens then? Is there a scenario where Maroney proves too good not to be our every-down back and Dillon is left to stew on the sidelines, a la Brady vs. Bledsoe? I'm wondering if BB sees open competition between Dillon and Maroney for the starting job, or anticipates using both interchangeably. Then you've got to wonder how that affects the roles of other running backs on the roster (Faulk, Pass). Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

I dont see any possible way BB allows that to occur.

BB plans for a 19 game season; not just the first 16. If he gave the kid the rock 100% from the get go; he would be toast by game 11.

The best Maroney can hope for is a 50-50 split with Dillon if he is truly impressive in camp.

Tunescribe said:
The expectation is that Laurence Maroney will be Corey Dillon's understudy this season and see spot playing time. HOWEVER, what if Maroney really tears it up in training camp? What happens then? Is there a scenario where Maroney proves too good not to be our every-down back and Dillon is left to stew on the sidelines, a la Brady vs. Bledsoe? I'm wondering if BB sees open competition between Dillon and Maroney for the starting job, or anticipates using both interchangeably. Then you've got to wonder how that affects the roles of other running backs on the roster (Faulk, Pass). Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

why not ? it could really become another Drew-Tom story...

anyway i hope both will do well in tc

There are plenty of carries to go around in this offense. BB likes to keep his RB fresh. Dillon will start and be the primary HB but Maroney could earn 50% of the snaps. The real question is how many carries are left for Faulk.

There's a few players with guaranteed starting jobs but the starting RB isn't one of them. Dillon sucked last year even before he got hurt. I think the possibilities vary from Dillon getting most of the carries and Maroney getting Faulk's change of pace (read : Dillon takes himself out) carries all the way to Maroney getting most of the carries and Dillon staying fresh on the sideline.

My guess ? I really don't know. But I'm saying Maroney has more total touches by the end of the season than Dillon.

NEM said:
Let's really mess up the minds of defenses and go with a full house backfield. Dillon lined up in the middle, as the power back, with Faulk and Maroney as halfbacks on either side.
One tight end and one wideout on the same side.

Both Maroney and Faulk are gifted receivers too....

I like that idea. There's not enough of that kind of thing in the NFL.

I too, would like to see more 2 back sets. Having the 2 of them in at once seems like something that might give defenses a hard time.

You should use them depending on the situation obviously.
When you need inches on the goal line you use Dillon and when they're prone to overpursuiing you use Maroney.

jeffd said:
There are plenty of carries to go around in this offense. BB likes to keep his RB fresh. Dillon will start and be the primary HB but Maroney could earn 50% of the snaps. The real question is how many carries are left for Faulk.
No one is better than Faulk on screens and on third and long.

It's second and goal that I don't want to see him out there.

I think Dillon starts game 1 regardless, after that all bets are off, it will depend on who is making plays.

PatsFan37 said:
No one is better than Faulk on screens and on third and long.
"2-2-NE36 (2:00) K.Faulk up the middle to NE 39 for 3 yards (C.Brown). FUMBLES (C.Brown), RECOVERED by DEN-I.Gold at NE 40. I.Gold to NE 40 for no gain (L.Mankins)."

OK, it wasn't 3rd and long but 2nd and 2 with 2 minutes to go wasn't a "have to run" situation where the Broncos could line up and focus just on Faulk.

I'm sorry but I'm sick of this sh!t with him. Figure out the problem, like Barber did, or let Maroney have your carries.

Dillon is the obvious short yardage back. Faulk is the obvious 3rd down back. What happens the rest of the time depends on (a) how well Dillon runs and (b) how well Maroney pass blocks. I expect Dillon to be the starter simply because BB doesn't want Brady killed by a blitzing LB.

NEM said:
It's the PLAY CALLING......
Even with Weis gone ? ;)

Come on, NEM, the play call didn't cause Faulk to fumble. Faulk fumbled. Again. His fault, no-one else's.

You forget that he was the ONLY healthy back. There was literally no one else, and Belichick was using him because he had no choice...

I don't think Maroney has any chance of being "the guy to tote the rock" until he proves he can pick up the blitz. It is easier to see him sharing the load with Dillion for the first 12 games and then if Maroney has mastered blitz pickup, I could see BB resting Dillion, by reducing the workload, for the playoffs.

One note: I've watched a lot of Maroney tape since the Pats drafted him and it seems to me that he shows a lot of chest as he runs. If he doesn't fix that, he'll wind up on the wrong end of a jacked up session on ESPN. Maroney, please run downhill for now on. Thanks you.

BelichickFan said:
"2-2-NE36 (2:00) K.Faulk up the middle to NE 39 for 3 yards (C.Brown). FUMBLES (C.Brown), RECOVERED by DEN-I.Gold at NE 40. I.Gold to NE 40 for no gain (L.Mankins)."

OK, it wasn't 3rd and long but 2nd and 2 with 2 minutes to go wasn't a "have to run" situation where the Broncos could line up and focus just on Faulk.

I'm sorry but I'm sick of this sh!t with him. Figure out the problem, like Barber did, or let Maroney have your carries.
How can you possibly confuse Faulk up the middle on 2nd and 2 with screens and 3rd and long? He's a situational back and in the right situation he's one of the best in the NFL. Plus, he's got tremendous heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back