PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mankins vs Tuck - What happened the last time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys remember the first play of SB42 for NE? That is NOT the kind of play we should dial up in the very beginning. The Giants D-line is coached to be in attack mode, so unfortunately, they will not be going for double-fake actions or 3-second-developing screens.

I'm all for a smash mouth game plan, play-action, and YAC against NY. We got away from 2 of these things in the AFCCG.

We can work out of the Gun or under center in establishing a power offensive strategy. The wraps, pulling and seals we employed against Baltimore's front are concepts that should be used against a somewhat small but aggressive Giant's front.

The first few plays should be scripted. Make the back seven guess and over anticipate. And nothing slow-developing when momentum is on the line. We don't want NY rushing up the field against us. That's a psychological edge we can't let them have.

The Pats need to commit to the run and protect Brady.

And stay committed. Keeps Pats' defense on the bench & sets up play action. The running game, hopefully, will be key.

Last edited:
Two comments:
1.) Several people have pointed out the need to commit to the run in the SB....great idea, but have the Pats ever done that at all this year? That was one of my "complaints" about this past game against the ravens...Law Firm would rip off two great runs and then head to the bench and wouldnt re-appear.
2.) Great thread...its threads like this that keep me coming to this board. :rocker:

I don't remember the thread (i was in shock, i still haven't recovered) but i do remember Mankins doing his best impression of a turn style....one in which you didn't need to slow down to pay.

Matt Light was on his back more times than a Thai prostitute too......let's just say they all pretty much sucked on the OL in the game whose name shall not be mentioned......

Thanks for the compliments on the old thread.

I'd like to note that later statistical breakdowns provided by Football Outsiders indicated that the Patriots led to the league in draw plays in both 2007 and 2008. Lots of posters at the time felt the Patriots should have been running more draw plays, pretty much on a game-by-game basis.

I don't have the stats to back me up on this, but I think in the last two years, with the "two tight-end spread" formations the Pats have gone to, they've partially replaced their reliance on the draw from the spread shotgun with power plays. Good example of one was the touchdown Lawfirm scored on in the AFCCG, where Mankins pulled and put an iso block on the Ravens playside linebacker.

Interestingly they had tried almost the exact same play earlier in the drive, but with Brady under center, and it went nowhere because Pollard and the playside linebacker (Dannell Ellerbe, on that play) read their run keys too fast. This was the play Ellerbe ripped off Lawfirm's helment, if you recall.

You can see both plays on NFL.com's game highlight reel.

Matt Light was on his back more times than a Thai prostitute too......let's just say they all pretty much sucked on the OL in the game whose name shall not be mentioned......

stcjones this is a family forum.:D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes