PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mallett vs Hoyer - No Clear Winner Monday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
fair enough.......but it goes back to just not seeing the possibility of 'elite' ever being used to describe hoyer. thing is that rodgers took time, but had the makeup all along. I see the same with mallett. he has elements that can't be taught. they may never be realized, but the the deck is certainly not stacked against him.

I'm with you there, but then again Hoyer didn't come into the league with much hype either (then again, neither did Brady ;)). Mallett was obviously touted fairly highly by a lot of draft analysts, hence the reason why the expectations are so high and people like yourself are so enamored with him - which isn't a bad thing.

Again, in my mind it's not a question of whether or not I think Hoyer is a better QB than Mallett because the point behind them selecting him seemed to be really long-term "post Brady". Hoyer will be long-gone by the time that comes, so in that regard it doesn't matter and that wasn't really the point I was trying to make. I thought Hoyer was terrible Monday night as well, so I wasn't favoring one over the other.

The question in my mind is whether or not I can see Mallett becoming the type of franchise quarterback who can maintain the same play we've seen from Brady over the last decade and potentially win a few championships. I'm not saying he can't, but I'm just saying he hasn't really shown us - yet - that he can. As I said in another post I saw glimpses from Brady that made me believe he could be a good quarterback, although back then I never expected what he ended up doing.

I think there are quite a few that think what we've seen over the last 10 years is normal - it's not. We haven't even seen ven a .500 season over that span, let alone a losing season...it's pretty insane. So far there aren't many examples of one elite QB being immediately replaced by another other than - (gasp) - Favre and Rodgers, and before that Montana and Young. I can't think of another off the top of my head but I'm guessing someone else here might be able to.

To be fair Mallett's only in his second season and I'm certainly not rooting for him to fail just to make my point, that's not at all how I think so hopefully you don't have that impression. I'd love to see him continue developing this year and come out next preseason and look completely different. Hopefully he does.

Last edited:
Zolak (who's now part of the commenting team for the Patriots, and may or may not be as free with his words now) notes that Mallet didn't start the game well, but was impressed with his TD throw and called it, along with his feel for the screen game, a step in the right direction.. He still sees Hoyer as the definite #2 - "Hoyer's way ahead of Mallett at this point".

Yup. Zo has never been enamored. The TD throw was a beauty. Thing is absent multiple idiotic undisciplined penalites by Reid's defense that throw and catch never happens. Sometimes it's better (for the bottom line) to be lucky than good. Just need to be willing to acknowledge that for context.

I'm with you there, but then again Hoyer didn't come into the league with much hype either (then again, neither did Brady ;)). Mallett was obviously touted fairly highly by a lot of draft analysts, hence the reason why the expectations are so high and people like yourself are so enamored with him - which isn't a bad thing.

Again, in my mind it's not a question of whether or not I think Hoyer is a better QB than Mallett because the point behind them selecting him seemed to be really long-term "post Brady". Hoyer will be long-gone by the time that comes, so in that regard it doesn't matter and that wasn't really the point I was trying to make. I thought Hoyer was terrible Monday night as well, so I wasn't favoring one over the other.

The question in my mind is whether or not I can see Mallett becoming the type of franchise quarterback who can maintain the same play we've seen from Brady over the last decade and potentially win a few championships. I'm not saying he can't, but I'm just saying he hasn't really shown us - yet - that he can. As I said in another post I saw glimpses from Brady that made me believe he could be a good quarterback, although back then I never expected what he ended up doing.

I think there are quite a few that think what we've seen over the last 10 years is normal - it's not. We haven't even seen ven a .500 season over that span, let alone a losing season...it's pretty insane. So far there aren't many examples of one elite QB being immediately replaced by another other than - (gasp) - Favre and Rodgers, and before that Montana and Young. I can't think of another off the top of my head but I'm guessing someone else here might be able to.

To be fair Mallett's only in his second season and I'm certainly not rooting for him to fail just to make my point, that's not at all how I think so hopefully you don't have that impression. I'd love to see him continue developing this year and come out next preseason and look completely different. Hopefully he does.

you perspective is a good one.....

the way I see it, guys who are not elite, franchise type of QB's no longer win or even get to the SB.......you have to go back to brad johnson and trent dilfer, but look at the defenses they had. couple that with the fact that brady is 35, and you need to have your next long term solution in the works......yeah, sure, brady says he will play until he is 40.....or until one hit tweaks his shoulder for good and takes enough off his throws so that he doesn't have it anymore. you need someone else to make all the throws to justify the pass catching targets you have, or you may as well start spending all you money on defense again.

anyway, they're both here this year.......and there's plenty of time to ruminate this issue......hoyer may be gone next year, but it'll probably require someone to offer him a decent contract as a backup.....if the pats feel there is still a need for him to be here, they will have that option.

This is Mallett's 2nd season. If he has not beaten out Hoyer for #2 by start of the season he's running behind the curve as a future franchise QB. It's not like Hoyer is a proven NFL vet who has lots of NFL game experience to win over on intangibles where Ryan hasn't had the chance. And it's not like Hoyer has a superior arm, so it's up to The Hammer to make it his time as #2. BB is usually open as to who his #2 QB is. I look forward to finally having some objective evidence in the next 2 weeks or less.

Last edited:
Yup. Zo has never been enamored. The TD throw was a beauty. Thing is absent multiple idiotic undisciplined penalites by Reid's defense that throw and catch never happens. Sometimes it's better (for the bottom line) to be lucky than good. Just need to be willing to acknowledge that for context.

sometimes luck is better than good.......but it is always better than bad(hoyer).....here for his 4th year, he should be ahead and should not have to depend on the availability of edelman to make a play......I think you're going to see mallett bury hoyer in the next couple of PS games

sometimes luck is better than good.......but it is always better than bad(hoyer).....here for his 4th year, he should be ahead and should not have to depend on the availability of edelman to make a play......I think you're going to see mallett bury hoyer in the next couple of PS games

Color me deeply skeptical but that would be great if so. We then could possibly cut/conditionally trade Hoyer and get another binkie onto the 53. And I like Hoyer.

Last edited:
Color me deeply skeptical but that would be great if so. We then could possibly cut/conditionally trade Hoyer and get another binkie onto the 53. And I like Hoyer.

I think you will still see all 3 there, and as for who is called #2, who cares.

isn't hoyer and his 1.9M already guaranteed?

This is getting down right silly.

If,if,if,if,if...............if only if.

Foles doesn't become a foles hero if there isn't two turnovers.

If only......the Tuck Rule............

Absent "idiotic,undisciplined penalties" the Eagles had plenty of chances to stop them. That didn't happen.

Amazing the emotion about two guys who have the least chance to play.

One wonders the threads over the long snapper job some day.

This is Mallett's 2nd season. If he has not beaten out Hoyer for #2 by start of the season he's running behind the curve as a future franchise QB. It's not like Hoyer is a proven NFL vet who has lots of NFL game experience to win over on intangibles where Ryan hasn't had the chance. And it's not like Hoyer has a superior arm, so it's up to The Hammer to make it his time as #2. BB is usually open as to who his #2 QB is. I look forward to finally having some objective evidence in the next 2 weeks or less.

Rodgers sat for three years.

Brees was so bad his first three years, San Diego drafted a "franchise QB" in 2004.

The timeline referenced looks a somewhat specious.

Mallett has had far fewer reps that a second year player like Rogers for example, no Rookie camp, OTA's last year, 3rd QB reps last year.

If he were getting 1st teams reps like Dalton and other had gotten then I would be concerned. But that isn't the case here.

More bad than good on that clip and it missed him hitting the CB square in the back.

He got a little more of the screen game and Vereen and Edleman to work with. Hoyer didn't get Edleman at all if I recall and a lot more Ebert whom he seemed to be having trouble getting on the same page with (probably because Ebert isn't on the page yet). His worst mistakes were negated by really dumb penalties. Otherwise he has a typically rough outing.

Wait a minute. I consistantly read here on Patsfan that Edelman sucks and should be cut and replaced by Ebert. Now he doesn't? I'm confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results