PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions and Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why the Detroit Lions should trade for Matt Cassel

They ARE the Lions. They LOVE Dante. Who wouldn't ??? I love Dante. Let's get Dante & reunite him with Moss. Cassel ? He's no good... we need a vet ! I love the Lions. I love Dante.

As for the Pats : let's draft a WR (in both 2009 AND 2010). Woooo !

Matt Millen, step away from the keyboard!

Hmm yeah it could happen but I think there philosophy might to be to build around the QB position (OL) but I wouldn't blame them for trading for Cassel. The worst thing the Lions can do is draft Crabtree with #1 then a QB at #20 or vise-versa, then again its the Lions :).

Need to consider the Pats will want more than just a #20 first rounder.
DW Toys

If the Patriots get the #20 overall for Cassel, they should jump at it. If they can get more, great. But I think the 20th pick is terrific value.

Hahaha ! Like that ?

Watch for more of me, Matt Millen, on NBC. They may scroll mean things about me on the local station, but I'm still getting paid !

In all seriousness : I don't think Detroit is going to take the plunge on Cassel. I think they SHOULD go with an O-lineman with the 1st and pry away Cassel with the 20th (plus a third, or whatever)... but I have just seen them make sooooo many crazy moves.

Maybe the Vikings are more stable (but I still remember them getting bypassed two consecutive years during the draft because they couldn't get their act together). I dunno - here's what I DO know : Cassel's getting traded and I doubt BB gets the short end of the stick.

If Detroit is smart they will make a move for Cassel. If they go with Stafford or Sanchez with the 1st pick they are reaching but if they instead take a franchise LT, which at this time looks like Virginia’s Monroe not Jason Smith, and then trade pick #20, along w/other considerations, for Cassel they are not only making the right football decision but the smarter financial decision as well.

Why pay for a QB at #1, who is a 50/50 proposition at best if history is an indicator when you can take Monroe, or the highest OT on your board, and pay him a smaller overall deal and also get yourself a QB who has played well in the league, who is more mature than any other option available in the draft and has shown he can handle adversity and also know exactly what you would be paying for? He will also cost you considerably less in guaranteed money. It’s a no-brainer. The 1st pick will probably cost between $30-35 mil in guaranteed money so you can't gamble it on Stafford, who is a bust waiting to happen in my eyes, and Sanchez, a one-year wonder in college who was surrounded by the most talented offense in college football.

Off the topic and a discussion for another thread and time but for my money Eugene Monroe should be the #1 pick. He might not be the flashiest player in this draft but he is the most balanced for his position, being equally effective as a pass & run blocker. He is the safest choice in this draft because there are no concerns about his ht/wt, experience, position and also his character. He may not have as big of an upside as other prospects but when you’re shelling out the $30-35+ million in guaranteed money mentioned earlier for a college kid I’d go with the safer pick all the time.

Last edited:

OR

The Lions are a team in need of a multitude of players .. on D as well as O. Use this draft to being rebuilding, use your picks wisely, get clever in FA and start the healing process

Then in a deep QB class next year with McCoy, Tebow etc you get your Franchise QB

Not saying that's what they will or should do, but if I was a Lions fan I wouldn't use a first day pick on Cassel - its too much of a risk for them when they have a whole world of other needs

OR

The Lions are a team in need of a multitude of players .. on D as well as O. Use this draft to being rebuilding, use your picks wisely, get clever in FA and start the healing process

Then in a deep QB class next year with McCoy, Tebow etc you get your Franchise QB

Not saying that's what they will or should do, but if I was a Lions fan I wouldn't use a first day pick on Cassel - its too much of a risk for them when they have a whole world of other needs

So they should stay pat with the nobody QBs they have right now and suck for another year? The NFL is a win now league. I don't think that any GM that has to worry about his job can take that sort of attitude. Besides Cassel can easily turn their team around if they also use their #1 overall pick to draft an elite LT. Don't believe it? Look how the Dolphins went from the WORST team in the NFL to a playoff team by just drafting Jake Long #1 and adding Pennington as a free agent. You're telling me the Lions don't see that and don't want to do the same kind of thing?

OR

QB is their #1 need at this point, their depth chart consists of Culpepper, Orlovsky, let's not forget the Drews: Stanton and the immortal Henson. Come on, you saw what how the Dolphins went from 1 win to 11 last season, would they have even come close to that with out consistency out of the QB position w/Pennington. In this league you need a QB to build around, you start there and hopefully you're not picking #1 overall AGAIN next year. A good QB can hide a lot of warts and start the winning process. They need W's to build confidence in their new coaching staff.

Last edited:

So they should stay pat with the nobody QBs they have right now and suck for another year? The NFL is a win now league. I don't think that any GM that has to worry about his job can take that sort of attitude. Besides Cassel can easily turn their team around if they also use their #1 overall pick to draft an elite LT. Don't believe it? Look how the Dolphins went from the WORST team in the NFL to a playoff team by just drafting Jake Long #1 and adding Pennington as a free agent. You're telling me the Lions don't see that and don't want to do the same kind of thing?

I hear you but, devils advocate here, the Lions are in much greater need of just a QB. From what I see they need immense help on both sides of the ball. Other than Johnson, who's double covered all game anyway , who else does he throw the ball to? Probably no-one, as he's gonna be on his back about every other down. In essence, it doesn't matter if they pick up Cassel, a chepaer FA QB or stick with Orlovsky, they're hurting no matter what they do...

However if Im the Lions FO id trade down from No.1, get the Franchise OT and a few others and offer the 09 2nd and conditional 10

Also if Im Cassel I would avoid going there at all costs

Last edited:

If the Lions were smart they'd trade that 1st overall pick for Matt Cassel.

Assuming Matt Cassel is available via a draft pick, no other player in this draft class is a better value pick @ #1 than Matt Cassel is.

Further, no other player in this draft class comes with less risk than does Matt Cassel.

Further still, no other player in this draft class will come better equipped to help the Lions win football games next season than Matt Cassel.

But the Lions are the Lions so they will **** it up.

Just my opinion, but I disagree with the idea that QB is the Lions' number one need. First thing they need to fix is their defense; they ranked dead last in points allowed, yards per game, yards per play, and rushing defense last year. Taking that in to consideration, plus the fact that next year's draft class will be much more solid at QB, and it is not inconceivable that the Lions could go with Culpepper for one year and then draft a QB next year - while using their top picks on the defensive side of the ball.

Also if Im Cassel I would avoid going there at all costs

LOL. I don't think Cassel has much say about where he's going. I suppose he could dig in his heels, but why would he? He's going to get a starter gig and a LOT of money.

Just my opinion, but I disagree with the idea that QB is the Lions' number one need. First thing they need to fix is their defense; they ranked dead last in points allowed, yards per game, yards per play, and rushing defense last year. Taking that in to consideration, plus the fact that next year's draft class will be much more solid at QB, and it is not inconceivable that the Lions could go with Culpepper for one year and then draft a QB next year - while using their top picks on the defensive side of the ball.

Who is available at the #1 pick in the draft that will turn around that defense and that team as a whole? BJ Raji? Aaron Curry?
A drop in the bucket compared to the void of SUCK that is the Detroit Lions.
And if you wait till #20 to get defensive help, your options are even MORE limited and less attractive.

Adding a good QB and improving their offensive line with a top pick will do a lot more to get them turned around than improving a defensive unit that is not in charge of putting points on the field and will need a whole lot more than 1 draft to turn around.

Last edited:

One thing people are forgetting is that Matt has a say in this now.I can't see why he would want to go to the Lions. I personally have thought for a while now that the Vikes are the most likely team for him.

They need a QB and not much else to contend. they have a good OL and a decent D. The also have very very good RB's. Matt would thrive in a play action offense, IMO.

I have no inside info but it just makes sense and I think the Vikes will give up #22 and #86 for him. I won't be surprised if the deal has already been done.

Last edited:

LOL. I don't think Cassel has much say about where he's going. I suppose he could dig in his heels, but why would he? He's going to get a starter gig and a LOT of money.

Well lets assume the Lions offered the Pats the #1 pick and the Vikes offered the #20. I assume Cassel can say, look I prefer the Vikes and there's not much NE can do if they want to trade him?

It's much different playing D in a close game than in a game where you have no shot to score or win.

I hear you but, devils advocate here, the Lions are in much greater need of just a QB. From what I see they need immense help on both sides of the ball. Other than Johnson, who's double covered all game anyway , who else does he throw the ball to?

That's one more good WR than the Dolphins had.

Did I read/hear somewhere that they are going with Culpepper?
Not sure why they would want to have him rather than a Younger QB. He has seen his better days.

Who is available at the #1 pick in the draft that will turn around that defense and that team as a whole? BJ Raji? Aaron Curry?
A drop in the bucket compared to the void of SUCK that is the Detroit Lions.
And if you wait till #20 to get defensive help, your options are even MORE limited and less attractive.

Adding a good QB and improving their offensive line with a top pick will do a lot more to get them turned around than improving a defensive unit that is not in charge of putting points on the field and will need a whole lot more than 1 draft to turn around.
I wasn't saying the Lions will or should focus on defense and ignore the QB position; was just saying that it's not a slam dunk that they'll use a first round pick on a QB either.

I agree that there's a strong possibility of using their two first round picks on a LT and a QB, and if they do, they would be foolish to not consider Cassel.

I was just saying that if they do that, what then becomes of that league-worst defense? If waiting till #20 to get defensive help means 'your options are even more limited and less attractive', what are they if you wait till the second round? The additions of Cassel and an OL aren't going to put up enough points to make up for that defense that was giving up over 400 yards and 32 points per game.

Since it is going to take 'a whole lot more than 1 draft' to turn around their defense, doesn't it make sense for the Lions to start addressing this area of need now, with day one picks, rather than waiting another year?

ok
n.20 and n.33
than pats trade the 33 for nest year first round to 49ers or chargers...:D

Not sure about the dude suggesting the Lions go without a QB "because of other pressing needs". Clearly, he didn't see what happened in Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta...

While I don't think they'll try for Cassell, they DO need to address QB asap. Still... I do agree with their man-love for Dante. He's so dreamy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes