PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions and Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The primary consideration is not who will give the Patriots the best draft pick. It's a combination of who is willing to meet the Patriots' trade demands, as well as where he wants to play. He's going to get his $20M or so in guaranteed money wherever he goes. He's a SoCal kid, born and raised. Why on earth would he want to play (and live) in Detroit?

The primary consideration is not who will give the Patriots the best draft pick. It's a combination of who is willing to meet the Patriots' trade demands, as well as where he wants to play. He's going to get his $20M or so in guaranteed money wherever he goes. He's a SoCal kid, born and raised. Why on earth would he want to play (and live) in Detroit?

Calvin Johnson

How does ANYONE know whether Matt Cassel would be a better QB in Minny than Tavaris Jackson or even old Gus Frerotte?

Um...BY WATCHING FOOTBALL. Are you kidding with this? Come on, man.

No one's claiming Cassel's the second coming of Brady or anything, but Tavaris and Frerotte are PUTRID, awful football players. Matt Cassel was leaps and bounds better than both of those guys last year.

Good God, ease up on the Contrarian pedal.

Last edited:
How does ANYONE know whether Matt Cassel would be a better QB in Minny than Tavaris Jackson or even old Gus Frerotte?

I've seen Tavaris Jackson play. Tavaris Jackson is not Matt Cassel. ;)

Cassel is the biggest question mark of this offseason - Is Matt just a one year wonder and product of the system and the talent we had at WR? or is he the next top flight QB to come out from vitually nowhere

Cassel is as chancy as anything known to man right now

I think any team that goes after Matt will not give up anything more than a
2nd rounder and another later on or another 2nd or 3rd next season,I do not see a team forking over a 1st rounder this year,especially one that is relatively high - too risky for them IMO

How is someone who has proven he can play well in the NFL under certain circumstances more risky than someone who has never played a snap in the NFL?

Lions 2nd this year and next years 1st, Lions get whichever best tackle in the draft and Cassel in the second.

I could really see this happening hes the best fit for a QB and Lion desperately need one, although they could take a different approach and draft guys to build around a QB primary OL.

Cassel is the biggest question mark of this offseason - Is Matt just a one year wonder and product of the system and the talent we had at WR? or is he the next top flight QB to come out from vitually nowhere

Cassel is as chancy as anything known to man right now

I think any team that goes after Matt will not give up anything more than a
2nd rounder and another later on or another 2nd or 3rd next season,I do not see a team forking over a 1st rounder this year,especially one that is relatively high - too risky for them IMO

NFL coaches and GMs are paid to know the answer to this question from analyzing what they see.
You argument could be extended to never drafting a player or signing a free agent.
On Inside the NFL Simms, Sapp and (grudingly) Collinsworth all said the Lions would be better off with Cassel than the #1 pick. Lombardi made an excellent point when CC tried to call Cassel a system QB: Would you rather have a guy coached up by Bill Belichick where you have 15 games of his ability vs NFL players on film, or a guy coached up by Mark Richt with fewer games against college talent on film.

How could Cassel be more risky than a draft pick?

How is someone who has proven he can play well in the NFL under certain circumstances more risky than someone who has never played a snap in the NFL?

Especially when you consider that the two best quarterbacks coming out this year are Matthew Stafford (who had under 60% completion percentage and is as overrated as it gets) and Mark Sanchez (played one year in USC and had one of the best college defenses of all time backing him up). Cassel is much more of a safer bet.

WE DO NOT WANT THE LOINS #1 PICK.

Ummmm....Ill take it if I can trade it for something like the Eagles 2 first rounders or a team drafting around #10 overall for their first and second. for some reason teams value the #1 overall pick really high.

Ummmm....Ill take it if I can trade it for something like the Eagles 2 first rounders or a team drafting around #10 overall for their first and second. for some reason teams value the #1 overall pick really high.

Trading the number one pick is a lot harder than it sounds. Just ask Parcells.

Trading the number one pick is a lot harder than it sounds. Just ask Parcells.

yah i know. thats why i would take the 1st if i believed i could trade it.

yah i know. thats why i would take the 1st if i believed i could trade it.

Yeah... unfortunately for the Pats, Mike Ditka doesn't coach anymore.

bringing up the dolphins is a prime example of why the lions should trade their number 20 for cassel. do exactly what the dolphins did. get ur LT then get a qb (cassel). it's not the worst plan to follow

bringing up the dolphins is a prime example of why the lions should trade their number 20 for cassel. do exactly what the dolphins did. get ur LT then get a qb (cassel). it's not the worst plan to follow
Although Joe Thomas really dropped off in his 2nd year, the clowns also won more games than they were expected to in his rookie year.

Why the Detroit Lions should trade for Matt Cassel

The Detroit Lions need a starting QB badly. Cassel gives you a proven QB.
Your other option is to draft Stafford at #1 and pray that he doesn't become a high priced bust.
The other factor is that if you take Stafford #1, you're not gonna get one of the premier OTs at pick #20. This means no Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, etc.

Scenario 1:
#1 pick for Jason Smith
#20 pick for Matt Cassel

Result: You've got the best LT in the draft and a proven NFL QB. Watch Cassel throw for 4,000 yards to Calvin Johnson and enjoy your first winning season in decades.

Scenario 2:
#1 pick for Stafford
#20 pick for fill in the blank prospect

Result: You have a QB of the future with high upside but who could also bust. Meanwhile you don't have an elite passblocker protecting his blindside. Watch the kid get sacked a ton and sit on your sofa and enjoy another losing season.

Scenario 3:
#1 pick for Jason Smith

Result: Your passblocking improves dramatically due to the elite tackle you've drafted but you've still got no credible QBs to throw the ball to Calvin Johnson. Watch an unimpressive offense and enjoy yet another losing season.

What choice would you choose? Do you have any other better scenarios than Jason Smith + Matt Cassel??

Re: Why the Detroit Lions should trade for Matt Cassel

The Detroit Lions need a starting QB badly. Cassel gives you a proven QB.
Your other option is to draft Stafford at #1 and pray that he doesn't become a high priced bust.
The other factor is that if you take Stafford #1, you're not gonna get one of the premier OTs at pick #20. This means no Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, etc.

Scenario 1:
#1 pick for Jason Smith
#20 pick for Matt Cassel

Result: You've got the best LT in the draft and a proven NFL QB. Watch Cassel throw for 4,000 yards to Calvin Johnson and enjoy your first winning season in decades.

Scenario 2:
#1 pick for Stafford

Result: You have a QB of the future with high upside but who could also bust. Meanwhile you don't have an elite passblocker protecting his blindside. Watch the kid get sacked a ton and sit on your sofa and enjoy another losing season.

Scenario 3:
#1 pick for Jason Smith

Result: Your passblocking improves dramatically due to the elite tackle you've drafted but you've still got no credible QBs to throw the ball to Calvin Johnson. Watch an unimpressive offense and enjoy yet another losing season.

What choice would you choose? Do you have any other better scenarios than Jason Smith + Matt Cassel??

Need to consider the Pats will want more than just a #20 first rounder.
DW Toys

I could also see the Lions using their two first rounders for both lines, then trading their 2nd round pick (#33) and a conditional pick next year for Cassel. If they go OL then DL they have their choice of Jason Smith, Andre Smith or Eugene Monroe on the OL, and then depending on who is available at #20, Peria Jerry, Larry English, or Tyson Jackson are possibilities for their DL. And since they're not picking Stafford in this scenario, they might even be able to pick up an extra late round pick by trading down a spot or two too.

Need to consider the Pats will want more than just a #20 first rounder.
DW Toys

Detroit should offer that 20 and their first choice in round three which could do it.

A hint about what Detroit's plans are will come by the end of the month as they have a $2.5 MM bonus due to be paid to Culpepper by then. So, if they do not cut him, then chances are they use that #20 for a rookie QB to go with Dante.

Seems to me to be dumb to keep Dante and draft unproven rookie, when a solid Cassel could help restore them to respectability much sooner.

But, they are the Lions......

Detroit should offer that 20 and their first choice in round three which could do it.

A hint about what Detroit's plans are will come by the end of the month as they have a $2.5 MM bonus due to be paid to Culpepper by then. So, if they do not cut him, then chances are they use that #20 for a rookie QB to go with Dante.

Seems to me to be dumb to keep Dante and draft unproven rookie, when a solid Cassel could help restore them to respectability much sooner.

But, they are the Lions......

They ARE the Lions. They LOVE Dante. Who wouldn't ??? I love Dante. Let's get Dante & reunite him with Moss. Cassel ? He's no good... we need a vet ! I love the Lions. I love Dante.

As for the Pats : let's draft a WR (in both 2009 AND 2010). Woooo !

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes