PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's talk about the lines: DEFENSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I think the defensive line will be one of the more interesting groups on the team this year. Lots to talk about.

1. The return of the two big men in the middle, Wilfork and Kelly. Wilfork is an all-pro talent and Kelly is a very solid player. The Pats played most of the season last year without them, instead going with undrafted rookies and such. Adding these two guys should help the defense immensely. Wilfork isn't much of a pass rusher, but is great against the run and just provides an anchor in the middle. Kelly is strong against the run but can also get to the quarterback. Last year he had 2.5 sacks in just 5 games, and for in 2010 and 2011 he had 7.0 and 7.5 sacks, respectively. He has also had years with just 1 sack, so he's not a sure thing. But he's pretty solid. Good to have them back.

2. Chandler Jones. Worth discussion all by himself. Year 1: 45 tackles/assists and 6.0 sacks. Year 2: 70 tackles/assists and 11.5 sacks. You can just see the improvement all the time. He is a real weapon on the outside. I wonder if year 3 will be a regression or a year where he makes the leap into superstardom. If the rest of the defense plays like they're capable of (DBs covering better, meaning the DL has more time to get to the QB, plus the effectiveness of the other DLinemen, etc.), then he could have a monster season.

3. Easley and Siliga. Two very intriguing guys. Siliga has shown an ability to get to the QB (3 sacks in 5 games), albeit in a very small sample size. And Easley…well…he has gobs of talent. If he can be healthy, then he can provide the Patriots with tremendous push up the middle, which will force QBs to throw with guys in their face, or push them outside into the waiting arms of Jones or Ninkovich. Which brings me to…

4. Rob Ninkovich. A very steady performer against both the run and pass, he is not flash but has a knack for making the big play. If offensive lines are going to load up protection against Chandler Jones and Kelly/Siliga/Easley in the middle, and if the coverage is going to be good, it opens up all kinds of opportunities for Ninkovich. I see him having a potentially huge year for the Pats. I am amazed at how much he is able to stay on the field, but I wish they'd be able to work out a rotation to give him some rest.

5. The rest of the gang. We're talking about Buchanan (shown good pass rushing skills), Vellano (grinder), Chris Jones (injured, but pretty productive against the pass), Will Smith (veteran who used to have some ability; we'll see if he's still got it), Bequette (not sure he'll make the team), Zach Moore (interesting guy), Bass, and Worthy (two guys who are injured). This group represents the "depth" of the DL. Of course, not all of them will make the team. I'm interested in Worthy because of his talent. I like Chris Jones. Neither will likely be available at the start of the season, though, so I'm not sure how they handle it (heck, Worthy may not even pass his physical). These guys aren't as good as the starters, obviously, which is why they're the "depth", and every team's talent falls off at this point. But there are some interesting guys there, who I wouldn't feel bad about putting out there as necessary.

But the key guys: Ninkovich, Wilfork, Kelly, Chandler Jones, Easley, Siliga - I love that group and think they can have a really good season.

Joe Vellano has things to prove | Boston Herald

“Still a lot of football left and last year’s last year,” he said yesterday. “You know, you’ve got to build on this year with the new stuff that we’re doing, old stuff we’re doing and kind of get your technique back and look at the tape and get ready for this whole preseason. Kind of big weeks coming up to the real season for us.”

At yesterday’s joint practice with the Philadelphia Eagles, Vellano played a lot with the first unit as a 3-4 defensive end. Last year, he and the team worked primarily out of a 4-3. But the Pats have shown both looks this preseason. Vellano is comfortable in either.

“I’ve played in every scheme,” he said. “I’ve got a lot of years playing both 3-4 and 4-3 in my career. Just, you know, some different techniques and some different reads and stuff like that but you kind of fine-tune them. And the more reps you get in them, the better you kind of get at it. Watching film and getting it from the coaches and learning from them and just getting some more reps in practice work at it.”

And Vellano has become more comfortable in that practice work.​

i think it all hinges on Bequette making that 3rd year leap.....if he can be that guy.....no stopping us

They need someone to step up other the Chandler and Ninko.

Easley, Buchanan, Kelly, Chris Jones(again), or someone else.

The 2017 post Wilfork/Brady line is starting to form.

Chandler Jones, Mike Buchanon at RDE, Dominique Easley, Chris Jones at DT, Siliga,???, Worthy at NT, and ???, Zack Moore, Jake Bequette at LDE. Please Add a couple more prime beeves as you wish.

It's a good start, IMHO.

Chandler Jones, Mike Buchanon at RDE, Dominique Easley, Chris Jones at DT, Siliga,???, Worthy at NT, and ???, Zack Moore, Jake Bequette at LDE. Please Add a couple more prime beeves as you wish.

It's a good start, IMHO.

You have developmental 6th and 7th round guys with little or no meaningful football experience making up the DL 4 years from now? CJones and Easley are about the only 2 guys I'd pencil in there. The last 3 guys you named may not even be on the roster in 2014.

You have developmental 6th and 7th round guys with little or no meaningful football experience making up the DL 4 years from now? CJones and Easley are about the only 2 guys I'd pencil in there. The last 3 guys you named may not even be on the roster in 2014.

Yup. Feel free to alter as I said. How do you know the "???" players, TBD, will not be All Pros?

Our DLine will be good if healthy..... but we don't know how healthy they can stay. So just leave it at that.

The defensive line looks more like an infirmary, especially at the defensive tackle position (Chris Jones, Sealver Siliga, Jerel Worthy).

When can we get a real injury update on Jones and Siliga?

It's a good start, IMHO.

I would take the question marks off Siliga. He's a big man who is hard to move. He's not quick like Wilfork, but he is a force, and UDFA or not, I expect him to hang around for a while. (2017 is probably too far in the future to look in the FA era, but I expect that he will be there for another couple of years.)

Worthy won't make a good NT, unless BB changes his scheme. When he puts a NT in there, he's almost always 2-gapping, and that is clearly not Worthy's strength. He'd look good at 3-tech, next to Siliga, however. I'd add Hightower to the mix in Nink's spot within a year or two. I think he's well suited for the position, especially as LBs get faster to keep up with the pass-happy league.

Are we talkin about this unit?
mash.jpg

The biggest key is the health of Wilfork and his ability to hold up both the center and the guard. If he returns to health and stays that way, that's very big. Outside of that, someone... anyone... besides Nink and Jones needs to step up. Those two were absolutely gassed by the end of the year last year and simply cannot be the team's only two viable edge rushers again. The Seahawks taught us that you need a rotation of guys, both at 5-tech and at 3-tech that can push the pocket.

When can we get a real injury update on Jones and Siliga?
If I'm not mistaken, the first injury report is not required to be posted until the week preceding the first regular season game - so not for another three weeks.

What are peoples thoughts on a 4-3 under as a base?

9-Tech Sam LB- Donta Hightower, Rob Ninkovich, Darius Fleming
5-Tech LE- Dominique Easley, Chris Jones, Jerel Worthy
1-Tech NT- Vince WIlfork, Sealver Siliga, Tommy Kelly
3-Tech DT- Tommy Kelly, Jerel Worthy, Chris Jones
Leo RE- Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Michael Buchanan
Mike LB- Jerod Mayo, Donta Hightower, Steve Beauharnais
WIll LB- Jamie Collins, Jerod Mayo, James Anderson

What are peoples thoughts on a 4-3 under as a base?

9-Tech Sam LB- Donta Hightower, Rob Ninkovich, Darius Fleming
5-Tech LE- Dominique Easley, Chris Jones, Jerel Worthy
1-Tech NT- Vince WIlfork, Sealver Siliga, Tommy Kelly
3-Tech DT- Tommy Kelly, Jerel Worthy, Chris Jones
Leo RE- Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Michael Buchanan
Mike LB- Jerod Mayo, Donta Hightower, Steve Beauharnais
WIll LB- Jamie Collins, Jerod Mayo, James Anderson
That would be excellent. I hope to see that often.

Here is the jist of it IMO. The DTs will be serviceable at the least. Even without Kelly/Wilfork last year the reason they lost was not due to the DTs. This year we have them both healthy and better/proven depth behind them. I think we have too many quality bodies for that to not work out.

DE to me is the real issue. We know Jones/Nink are good to go. What is behind them? This to me is less proven depth. However I think between Moore/Smith/Buchanon/Hightower/Easley we will find something that works enough.

Here is the jist of it IMO. The DTs will be serviceable at the least. Even without Kelly/Wilfork last year the reason they lost was not due to the DTs. This year we have them both healthy and better/proven depth behind them. I think we have too many quality bodies for that to not work out.

DE to me is the real issue. We know Jones/Nink are good to go. What is behind them? This to me is less proven depth. However I think between Moore/Smith/Buchanon/Hightower/Easley we will find something that works enough.

Buchanan can provide some pass rush, but he looks lost against the run. He might be limited to 3rd down obvious passing situations if he doesn't improve vs. the run.

Easley played all over the DLine in college, including DE. I expect he will see some time at DE in New England.

Hightower has taken some reps with his hand on the ground in college and this years training camp. He might see reps at DE as well.

I would take the question marks off Siliga. He's a big man who is hard to move. He's not quick like Wilfork, but he is a force, and UDFA or not, I expect him to hang around for a while. (2017 is probably too far in the future to look in the FA era, but I expect that he will be there for another couple of years.)

Worthy won't make a good NT, unless BB changes his scheme. When he puts a NT in there, he's almost always 2-gapping, and that is clearly not Worthy's strength. He'd look good at 3-tech, next to Siliga, however. I'd add Hightower to the mix in Nink's spot within a year or two. I think he's well suited for the position, especially as LBs get faster to keep up with the pass-happy league.

The question marks were meant to indicate a player not yet drafted and added to the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call