PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's play a game: Unsung Patriot I miss...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgraw_wv

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Roman Phifer ( sp? ) - I watched super bowl 39 last night, it was a joy to watch that so love-able and solid team play, and it got me thinking, it was the old vets that still had a lot to give that I miss on the current teams, most notably Roman.

There were easily 4 other players I could point out and say "where is our modern day ________", but I figured I would leave the rest for everyone else.

Who do you miss?

Phifer is a great choice, but I do miss Mike Vrabel , who was very missed last year..

the defense had i big hole in it last year with out seymour, he was a leader and a great player.

Seymour wasn't unsung, he sung his way to a holdout the last time....
Man's got a kicka$$ voice!

David Patten was kind've unsung.....glad I don't have to miss him anymore.......well at least into training camp. :D

I miss Michael Bishop......if he were here we would have some folks shouting "Bishop should be the starter"! :bricks:;)

I don't know that any of these guys are unsung and I miss too many to count. But Rodney and Willie are top of my list.

BOBBY HAMILTON
p1_hamilton.jpg

Last edited:
Off the top of my head:

-David Givens caught TD's in 5 straight playoff games en route to 2 titles
-OTIS amazing job in SB36
-Eugene Wilson filling in for Lawyer, he only had 2 good years but it was enough
-Randall Gay having to start in 2004 and held his own
-GRR filling in at OT in SB36, that block towards the end of the first half taking out 2 guys that sprung Faulk for a key first down... held his own overall in the game
-JR Redmond getting out of bounds right before Brady to Brown SB36
-Can't remember who it was that recovered Troy Brown's fumble on his last PR in the snow bowl... one of the long list of plays that could have ended that game and our season
-Antwan Harris right place right time in 2001 AFCC, then forces a fumble in SB36 that led to a TD

Unsung heroes: I miss Donte Stallworth.

In 2007 he had 46 receptions for 697 yards, 15.2 ypc, 3 TDs. Pretty good going for a first year on a new team, especially when you consider that he was the 3rd receiver.

Never gets much credit for what we achieved in 07, but the team wouldn't have been the same without him.

Since I find it hard to define "unsung" I'm going to take guys that weren't on teams that won Superbowls or on the 2007 squad. By that definition it's a tie between 2:

1. Chris Slade - my fav pat on defense to watch that didn't win one with us. That dude was awesome.

2. Ben Coates - my fav pat on offense to watch that didn't win with us. Truly one of the great tight ends to play for any team.

Last edited:
Guess "unsung" has strange meaing for posters here...Coates!? Vrable?! McGuinest!!!

Me, I miss Christian Fauria, always there for a catch to move the sticks.
Antowain Smith didn't do too badly geting us the yards in key situations leading to 2 rings.

Edwards, the fullback.
Bob Kratch, OL. Great football name
Bryan Cox
Dave Meggett
Pepper Johnson (as player)

I haven't seen anyone mention Corey Dillon in a while. IMO, we'd have one less superbowl without him.

My Uncle. Mosi Tatupu.

Kevin Turner...he would have been great as a 2nd TE (H-back) in today's offense.

I'm going to go back a ways and say Andy Johnson. This guy was the most versatile guy the Patriots had in the 70s. He ran well, caught passes out of the backfield and was an excellent blocker. I think he was 6-7 passing with 4 TDs throwing from the HB position.

I miss Steve Grogan...never catch him wearing a man purse ....................... .......................... ..............................
................... .............
............ .................
........3......... .............. .......2....... ............ ......1. ........unleash the hounds

-Can't remember who it was that recovered Troy Brown's fumble on his last PR in the snow bowl... one of the long list of plays that could have ended that game and our season
If I recall correctly that was Larry Izzo.

I miss Izzo, Larry Whigham, and Mosi Tatupu for their excellence on special teams.

It's easily Antowain Smith and Ted Johnson for me (from the Super Bowl era teams). I don't see how Ben Coates would have been an "unsung Patriot". For that era, I guess I would go with Shawn Jefferson, even though I was extremely young then.

Larry Centers, Josh Miller are two instant ones that jump out.

For me, while watching super bowl 39, the main thing that poped out at me was the complete lack of talent at the corner back position.

We were starting Troy Brown, and early in the game Eugene Wilson goes out of the game and into the locker room with a forearm injury. We still had Asante, but other than that, our secondary was depleted.

Yet, our defense was still one of the bests. Something about that front seven was just amazing. Johnson, Bruschi, Phifer, McGinnest, man those were just some hard playing SOBs.

Watching that game, and just seeing the ultimate discipline on how those guys upfront played, it was night and day compared to the last few years of upfront play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes