PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lawrence Guy signed - DL/DE checked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was another team we'd all be calling this an overpay based on the players stats and his career but i trust Bill.

Not that I necessarily disagree that that would be the reaction, but going by traditional stats for this type of player is ill-advised. If anything, his 2015 stats look decent for his level of playing time. 4.5 sacks seems fairly productive considering he rarely played on third down. Seems like his role might change a bit with the Patriots... He'll likely be outside on first and second down and slide inside for Branch at times, considering his ability to get inside pressure on mismatched interior OL.

Not that I necessarily disagree that that would be the reaction, but going by traditional stats for this type of player is ill-advised. If anything, his 2016 stats look decent for his level of playing time. 4.5 sacks seems fairly productive considering he rarely played on third down. Seems like his role might change a bit with the Patriots... He'll likely be outside on first and second down and slide inside for Branch at times, considering his ability to get inside pressure on mismatched interior OL.

I believe we ran a fair bit of 5-1 sets last year. He'll be the 3-tech in that particular front.

I tend not to watch other teams. What was his productivity like?
He was really good in Philly, but dissappeared last year. Maybe that was related to Jim Schwartz as def coordinator. Like Eric Rowe didnt fit in his scheme. thank you Jim.
If he comes cheap it not fair to other teams.

Don't know much about this Guy guy, but he seems like he's more of a hidden stats player. A "push the OL into the QB's face and force the uncomfortable throw" type rather than rack up the highlight sacks. If it gets them off the field after 3rd down, I'll take hidden stats all day long.

Regards,
Chris

Don't know much about this Guy guy, but he seems like he's more of a hidden stats player. A "push the OL into the QB's face and force the uncomfortable throw" type rather than rack up the highlight sacks. If it gets them off the field after 3rd down, I'll take hidden stats all day long.

Regards,
Chris

I think he is there for depth...

I tend not to watch other teams. What was his productivity like?

Barwin (31 in October) is 6035/260 (maybe lighter). Nink type, but more athletic. Started out as a 3-4 OLB dropping down to the line at times.

Started all 16 games for the last seven years, mostly at OLB for HOU, then PHL.

Played 1052 snaps for PHL in 2015. Apparently moved to rotational DE in 2016 in an effort to get more snaps for a younger LB. Barwin played only 709 snaps and his total production (tackles, sacks) declined by the same percentage as his snap count.

Might be signed for vet minimum (he was cut, so he's a street FA) or slightly above. Chances of this increase as time goes by in FA.

The original tweet said "up to" 20m.

Yep, that's a potentially critical phrase. "Up to" 20M if all incentives achieved? Sounds reasonable, and a 5-tech type DL rounds out the defensive versatility nicely.

This is a stunningly complete team to have under contract on March 11. Even assuming that they keep Jimmy and sit out much of the draft, any remaining wishlist looks brief and achievable:

Dont'a
A power running back
A situational edge rusher
A situational coverage LB
A developmental LT
Maybe a center?

Barwin (31 in October) is 6035/260 (maybe lighter). Nink type, but more athletic. Started out as a 3-4 OLB dropping down to the line at times.

Started all 16 games for the last seven years, mostly at OLB for HOU, then PHL.

Played 1052 snaps for PHL in 2015. Apparently moved to rotational DE in 2016 in an effort to get more snaps for a younger LB. Barwin played only 709 snaps and his total production (tackles, sacks) declined by the same percentage as his snap count.

Might be signed for vet minimum (he was cut, so he's a street FA) or slightly above. Chances of this increase as time goes by in FA.

Barwin did not adjust too well when Philly switched to a 4-3.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Soon the bells will start
And the…

:D

I'm not a fan of the signing simply because this has been stuck in my head ever since......
66585_0.jpg

Who is this guy? No Pun intended.

Farewell Geno Grissom

Hah! That's where you're wrong buddy. BB said Geneo's pre draft workout as tight end was as good as any tight end in the draft that year. Including AJ Derby! That's right! Our #3 tight end!:)

BB is preparing a D that ROTATES the big fatties, so they're fresh with the pressure. Rushing Up The Middle this season. And bull rushing. Why this emphasis? Because in 2017 we face several GOOD QBs. Even good QBs are susceptible to strong up the middle pressure.

But according to various pundits, Tom Brady is the only quarterback who struggles with pressure up the middle, or when the defense can generate a great pass rush with three linemen and eight in coverage...as if all QBs don't dip in production. In fact, Brady has the best record of any quarterback when he is sacked 5+ times, and we have seen him overcome some huge beat downs and abnormally high number of hits to win big stakes games.

Barwin did not adjust too well when Philly switched to a 4-3.

Depends on what you mean by "adjust". He went from full time OLB (1052 snaps) to rotational DE with his hand in the dirt (709 snaps - still more than any Pats DE in 2016). Even though his snap count declined by 30%, his year-to-year production per snap didn't.

Barwin's closest comp on the Pats, role-wise and size-wise would be McClellin. I'd wager that Barwin would be a noticeable upgrade to McClellin at probably half the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3