PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Late Round Steals

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So we have all been talking a lot about the top players but I thought it be educational for everyone to talk about some of the later round prospects (lets say round 4 or lower).

They are the players that can turn a good draft into a great one cause you are kind of playing with house money and winning if you hit.

Some guys I like/Have heard about

Colt Lyerla - TE - 6'4 250
A.C. Leonard - TE - 6'2 250
Jonathan Dowling - S - 6'3 (4.52)
Devin Street - WR 6-3 (4.55 speed hurts him but can win jump balls )
Jeff Janis - WR 6-3 (4.42)
Jay Bromley - DT 6'3 306

Two linebackers of note are Kevin Pierre-Louis who is tremendously explosive (Boston College), who, if BB is looking that way, could be an interesting safety/LB prospect. Tyler Starr had the best 3 cone ever for a player of his size so you know he had to be in the running. The rest of his workout, and his tape, were a little disappointing though.

Brock Vereen, brother of Shane, is a very likely Tavon Wilson replacement. Excellent combine, we've met him so he's on the radar and he gets good reviews as a safety that can play CB, much like Wilson coming out of Illinois.

Zach Kerr is a light footed NT type with decent to good range for a man of his size. Charles Leno Jnr is a very good athletic fit for what the Patriots are looking for from an interior OL. Matt Patchan, Boston College again, is the same at RT.

Lorenzo Taliaferro is a near 230lb RB that actually tested pretty well considering his size. Best blocking RB in the draft.

Those are some of mine.

Trey Millard
Gabe Ikard
Jon Dowling
Keith Price
Chris Boyd
Vintavious Cooper
Damien Williams
Matt Lehman

Michael Campanaro.

I think the pats will draft him in the late 3rd though. Perfect replacement for Edelman.

Another obligatory Georgia State push for Albert Wilson.

Like kennyb, I think he would be a perfect replacement for Julian Edelman and possibly a backup for Shane Vereen.

His body type and a little of his playing style remind my homer-self of Carolina Panthers Steve Smith.

What do people think about Xavier Grimble (USC - TE)? Not much production in college but has decent hands, size, and can get good YAC.

Brett Smith and Cody Latimer are severely underrated IMO

Philip Gaines, CB, of Rice was one of the stars of the combine. Just doing some reading on him. He allowed only 13 receptions on 40 targets with 11passes defenses and four interceptions. His combine numbers were very much BB droolworthy and at 6-0, 193, he certainly deserves some serious consideration.

Philip Gaines, CB, of Rice was one of the stars of the combine. Just doing some reading on him. He allowed only 13 receptions on 40 targets with 11passes defenses and four interceptions. His combine numbers were very much BB droolworthy and at 6-0, 193, he certainly deserves some serious consideration.

Watch his tape. It's good.

We talk about all these steal potential guys so often I feel like they're going to climb and not be steals. :bricks:

Watch his tape. It's good.

I'm getting on board with Gaines too, the more I watch.

What about Trey Burton? The Gators tried like hell to find a natural position for him, but he's quick in and out of his breaks and has soft hands. He wouldn't set the world on fire, but would be a mismatch coming out of the backfield. You can also draw up gadget plays for him since he can throw the ball as well.

Aaron Colvin

Brandon Coleman?

FB/H-Back Trey Millard
WR/H-Back Trey Bruton
DE/TE conversion Larry Webster
QB/TE converson Logan Thomas
TE Colt Lyerla *********************
NT Zach Kerr
NT Beau Allen
LB Kevin Pierre-Louis
CB Phillip Gaines
CB Aaron Colvin
DB Dontae Johnson
DB Jonathan Dowling

For a start. Lots of others.

I don't know if this report about number one WRs in the NFL is valid (probably not) or really understand it, but it has positive news about Albert Wilson.

Albert Wilson out of Georgia State is only 5’9, but posted a Megatron Index of 79. That’s pretty remarkable.

link rotovizDOTcom/index.php/2014/02/the-physically-gifted-the-megatron-index/

Alex Amidon in 7th

The key is to identify that someone who wasn't at the combine and whom no one has on their radar whom BB will draft in the second round.

Wesley Johnson OT Vanderbilt worked out as OC at Combine 1st Team AllSEC LT
John Brown speedy WR Pitt St

I like Webster as TE conversion and Logan Thomas as TE conversion

Would like to see Telvin Smith LB Florida St drafted around 3 - 4 and converted to SS. He cab really cover TEs

Kevin Piere Louis LB BC would be an excellent ST player for years and backup Will LB
JC Copeland is a huge FB that can catch too. He is a short yardage specialst that absolutley blows up LBs.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back