PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Last minute emergency QB rule change

Kraft will be too busy jerking off to the sight of his new advertisement board….sorry….scoreboard to call Roger and chew him out for this horseshit.

So essentially we’re being punished for knowing the rule.

Any league that was properly run would tell all teams to table any changes until next offseasons rules meetings. Not change things days prior to the season start date. But I’d expect nothing less from the NYFL.
Yeah. I mean, to be fair, it is kind of a stupid oversight - having your QB2 on your practice squad and your QB3 on your 53 is a pretty odd scenario that I doubt many teams would actually exploit, and I’m sure it’s not what the league intended. But at the same time, you can only PS elevate that QB2 twice so it’s only something you could take advantage of for two weeks and then you’d need to sign the player. It seems like a bit of an overreaction. “Oh no, NE will save a roster spot for two weeks!!! Quick, send a memo!!!”

Yeah. I mean, to be fair, it is kind of a stupid oversight - having your QB2 on your practice squad and your QB3 on your 53 is a pretty odd scenario that I doubt many teams would actually exploit, and I’m sure it’s not what the league intended. But at the same time, you can only PS elevate that QB2 twice so it’s only something you could take advantage of for two weeks and then you’d need to sign the player. It seems like a bit of an overreaction. “Oh no, NE will save a roster spot for two weeks!!! Quick, send a memo!!!”
Speed, Bryant,or Wade candidates for release to PS?

Teams definitely cried about our roster tinkering.
They’ve been crying since 2001 and I for one, welcome their baby tears and tantrums.

Cry, Falcons, you of zero SB wins. Cry your heart out losers. All of you.

On the off chance Mac gets hurt, couldn't the Pats game the new rule and have Corral get "hurt" and then have Zappe come in to replace him?

On the off chance Mac gets hurt, couldn't the Pats game the new rule and have Corral get "hurt" and then have Zappe come in to replace him?
I said this earlier or Bench Corral and bring in Zappe whatever happened to coaches decisions?

They’ve been crying since 2001 and I for one, welcome their baby tears and tantrums.

Cry, Falcons, you of zero SB wins. Cry your heart out losers. All of you.
Adobe_20230904_181458.jpg

No. The rule memo clarifies that all 3 players must be on the 53 in order to get the game day roster exemption for the third QB. If one of their QBs is a PS elevation, they can’t get that exemption. They would need to have all 3 guys active to be able to play all 3.

In all likelihood this just means Zappe still gets elevated as expected but he will take the game-day active spot of another player that otherwise would’ve been active, and the Pats will do that for two weeks and then see how Corral’s doing. If he needs more time, they’ll probably need to ink Zappe back to the 53.

QB2 or QB3 mean little. Because coaches could refuse to rank them that way (as BB keeps doing in never calling Mac his "starter")

But, the real confusion is what I saw on one of the articles saying the emergency QB can't be a PS call-up?
Do they mean "in-game call-up"? If so, that's fine. But there's no way they can say that you can't sign a PS QB to the 53 on Friday, and then designate him the emergency QB3 on the "technically" inactive list, right? That's absurd.

Is this really a surprise? The one thing I liked about FatMatt was his bozo shirt…

IMG_0366.jpeg

You have to love the corrupt nitwits in the NFL office. They’ve just neutered the emergency 3rd QB option for every team carrying 3 QBs on their 53 that suffers a short-term injury to one of them as well.

Say Tua has a concussion for the Dolphins and misses 3 games. Chances are they wouldn’t put him on IR, and he’s in protocol and dressing him as the emergency QB is not an option. So, unless the Dolphins promote a 4th QB to the 53, they lose the use of the emergency QB for the games Tua can’t play. That’s foolish and counter to what they wanted to accomplish with the emergency QB rule in the first place.

Why make 10 rules when one good rule will suffice? There should not be an limitations on using practice Squad QBs as the emergency QB. I suspect those teams carrying 3 QBs on the 53 do so because they have 3 worth protecting. The idea of the rule was to prevent the spectacle of some team having to end a game direct snapping to a RB or playing a QB with a torn ulner nerve and unable to throw as we saw in last year’s NFCCG.

They already signed Pharaoh Brown to take his spot.
Seen that on Fakebook, but no thread here on the signing gave the impression that it was BS.

QB2 or QB3 mean little. Because coaches could refuse to rank them that way (as BB keeps doing in never calling Mac his "starter")

But, the real confusion is what I saw on one of the articles saying the emergency QB can't be a PS call-up?
Do they mean "in-game call-up"? If so, that's fine. But there's no way they can say that you can't sign a PS QB to the 53 on Friday, and then designate him the emergency QB3 on the "technically" inactive list, right? That's absurd.
There’s a difference between calling a player up from the PS for a game, and signing them to the 53 man roster.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back