PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lamar Woodley... INSIDE LBer

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I'm not sure Woodley is quick enough to be a consistent edge rusher as a 3-4 OLB... However, his size, brutal style and high motor translate well as a run stuffing ILB in the 3-4. Also, his pass-rushing skills provide the versatility BB loves. He could be switched out as an edge rusher on occasion. IMO Woodley may be the best 3-4 ILB prospect in the draft. It might take 2 years to impact there unfortunately... but this guy could become a beast ILB if handled with patience. Woodley or Willis are both good candidates (albeit at different positions).

Last edited:
Re: Lamar Woodley reminds me of Jeremiah Trotter

PonyExpress said:
I'm not sure Woodley is quick enough to be a consistent edge rusher as a 3-4 OLB... However, his size, brutal style and high motor translate well as a run stuffing ILB in the 3-4. Also, his pass-rushing skills provide the versatility BB loves. He could be switched out as an edge rusher on occasion. IMO Woodley may be the best 3-4 ILB prospect in the draft. It might take 2 years to impact there unfortunately... but this guy could become a beast ILB if handled with patience. Woodley or Willis are both good candidates (albeit at different positions).

Who knows, maybe he could be a jack of all trades LB like Vrabel and Bruschi.. Merriman was a DE in College and is a beast in the middle for San Diego... stranger things have happened.

I can't wait to see that matchup Sat. I'm a PSU alum. Can't stand either squad. But, from a scouting angle it should be great. I think we will be able to see how quick Woodley really is. Chasing Troy Smith will be quite a challenge. Watch D.Harris. He could be our answer at ilb too. Big, strong, tough kid. Not sure about speed with him either. I would like to draft a couple of db's early. But, I think an edge pass-rusher would do more to help this defense than any rookie db. Extremely unlikely we get an edge rusher where we will be picking. Prob no higher than 24. CAL/USC features a ton of prospects. Going to be an interesting day.

Re: Lamar Woodley reminds me of Jeremiah Trotter

cstjohn17 said:
Who knows, maybe he could be a jack of all trades LB like Vrabel and Bruschi.. Merriman was a DE in College and is a beast in the middle for San Diego... stranger things have happened.

He is not a ILB at SD...

PonyExpress said:

What he may lack in quickness at the next level, LaMarr makes up for in intelligence. He's a brilliant player, and can drop back in coverage and hold his own, which is unusual for such a dominant rush backer. I don't think the transition would be as long as you think, he's very pro-ready now. If the Pats got LaMarr, well, I would be the happiest dude in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back