PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions trade LB Kyle Van Noy (& 7th) to Patriots for 6th round draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several folks on the draft board had him highly rated a few years back. Will be interesting to see what role he can contribute in.

Its a low cost deal, if he turns out to be good then we will celebrate, if not we dropped a few slots on the late sixth round. At least we get to see if he can offer more than a backup role. Not too disappointed in McClellin as I was not expecting too much from him in the first place. I still hold out hope for Mingo, given that he missed almost all of training camp, and then had to pick up the playbook as we went into vanilla/basic mode for the first four games. He has made some good plays on ST, but its the D where I want him to flourish - it's still early days though.

Great college athlete, meh NFL player. I remember him in college and wanted the Pats to draft him. But really hasn't done squat in the NFL, kinda like the Mingo move, great athletes, but not great football players.

To quote RAC from SB 36, "I need rushers, I need rushers". Would've rather traded for someone who could possibly sack the QB. In BB we trust.

Out of curiosity, who would you trade for and what would you offer?

Mingo to me's the biggest shock. I thought he would excel at the next level.
You know he hasn't been on the field much, but he showed well in the presason game he was in so i don't get it. He must stink in practice's

Looking at the pic of his wife, he must be just too drained to have any energy left on gameday... :D

I've no idea why forum participants get so upset at the Patriots bringing in a player, at low cost, who may have potentially been misused and may quite possibly, offer something in a deficient area.

Van Noy will work out or he won't. At the cost of a low round pick, I'm fine with GM Belichick's thinking.

I forgot what game it was but I remember in college he had an absurdly good game, couldve been in a bowl game not sure. He had a game you dont see many people have.

I've no idea why forum participants get so upset at the Patriots bringing in a player, at low cost, who may have potentially been misused and may quite possibly, offer something in a deficient area.

Van Noy will work out or he won't. At the cost of a low round pick, I'm fine with GM Belichick's thinking.
Are people really in an uproar over this trade?

I forgot what game it was but I remember in college he had an absurdly good game, couldve been in a bowl game not sure. He had a game you dont see many people have.
It's was the Pointsietta Bowl or whatever it's called, vs San Diego State a few years back. 1.5 sacks, he forced a fumble where he recovered it in the end zone, had a pick six, and also blocked a punt. It was the last game as a junior where he had 13 sacks. Only had 4 sacks the year after as a senior, Ziggy Ansah had left for the draft prior to that season.

I really like his name.

It's was the Pointsietta Bowl or whatever it's called, vs San Diego State a few years back. 1.5 sacks, he forced a fumble where he recovered it in the end zone, had a pick six, and also blocked a punt. It was the last game as a junior where he had 13 sacks. Only had 4 sacks the year after as a senior, Ziggy Ansah had left for the draft prior to that season.
Thats a rare game right there, I wonder how many times thats been done college and pro (1 sack-fumble for 6 ,pick 6, blocked punt)

If anyone has any stats on him or film, please post. I wonder if he plays special teams.

They were definitely still very much into finding replacement for Freeny (even after adding Reilly to PS few days ago). Decided for trade at the end.

It could be mostly about STs short-term. With Freeny and Harbor Pats lost two core STs from the start of the season. Scruggs was probably the first option here, now on IR as well. Grissom was ST addition the last two weeks and Chung saw too much time on STs for my liking since he's always on the field on D - and with Richards not showing progress - a very valuable piece of D (a hero in my book @PIT). If they are thinking of cutting Grissom and maybe even Richards when PUP guys come in (putting them on PS where they currently belong IMO) then having another back up LB taking ST duties to relieve starters is not a bad idea.

He recorded a tackle every 12 snaps this year. Not to compare - god forbid - but just for some context: Collins and High have a tackle every 10 snaps.

This from his DET coach recently:
“We keep saying the same thing about Kyle, and it all started last year in the offseason when he came back he was in the best shape that he’s been in, which allowed him to practice and learn the position better than he’s ever been able to,” Austin said this month. “I think that’s why he’s continued to play and when he had an opportunity to play he’s taken advantage of it and I think he’s done a good job for us so far.”

The thing of concern long-term (apart from his hot misses) is his hip issue.
Van Noy, a second-round choice in 2014, battled injuries his first two seasons, struggling to fulfill lofty expectations in Detroit. He missed nine games as a rookie after suffering a sports hernia. He appeared in 15 games last season, but never carved out a significant role after missing extensive time during training camp with a hip injury.

_

I think Reiss sums the story well:

The Patriots' linebacker depth has been thinned in recent weeks, beginning with No. 3 option Jonathan Freeny landing on injured reserve Oct. 15. Freeny also was a core player on special teams, which is an area Van Noy (signed through 2017) also figures to help.

In addition to Freeny, the Patriots have dealt with injuries to linebackers Dont'a Hightower (knee), Jamie Collins (hip) and Elandon Roberts (ankle) this season.

Tuesday's trade is similar -- in terms of the player, position and terms -- to when the Patriots acquired defensive end/outside linebacker Akeem Ayers from the Tennessee Titans in 2014. If Van Noy works out as well as Ayers did, the Patriots will be thrilled.

For the Patriots, it's a reasonable price to pay for a player who has some unique traits that made him a second-round pick just three years ago.

FWIW, PFF graded him as the worse linebacker for week 7:

Linebacker: Kyle Van Noy, Detroit Lions, 30.2

Van Noy was poor all around on Sunday, as there was no real aspect of his game that found a lot of success. He made just one solo stop on the afternoon, and missed two tackles. He was targeted three times in coverage and allowed all three to be caught for 26 yards. Coming out of the game, news came down Tuesday that the Lions dealt Van Noy to the Patriots.

He will be a steal in retrospect! Mark my words. Hopefully he can be a Deandre Levy type player eventually.

Great college athlete, meh NFL player. I remember him in college and wanted the Pats to draft him. But really hasn't done squat in the NFL, kinda like the Mingo move, great athletes, but not great football players.

To quote RAC from SB 36, "I need rushers, I need rushers". Would've rather traded for someone who could possibly sack the QB. In BB we trust.

People need to stop complaining about the pass rush and educate themselves on the Patriots game plans. It would solve a lot of problems and end a lot of needless complaining. When the team is only rushing 3 or 4 while dropping 7 into coverage, it's obvious that they are trying to force the QB to beat them with their arm. The Pats also play contain on running QBs, trying to make sure they don't beat the Pats with their legs.. That's been a standard of Belichick's for the entire time he's been a coach here.

Van Noy is exactly the kind of guy that BB likes for the ILB position in the 3-4. Van Noy is a Solid 6'3, though his arms aren't that long at 31 5/8". His hand span is average at 9 5/8". Van Noy has the kind of athleticism that could allow him to be effective in pass coverage, which would allow them to not have to sub in Chung as much. Van Noy could also give the Patriots much needed depth to spell Collins.. Which is something they haven't had..

I think that this is a good trade for the Pats and Van Noy adds more athleticism to a LB corps that was very shallow but is much deeper now.. And no. I don't consider McClellin a LB when he's been rushing the passer more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News