PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft not a 2020 HOF finalist

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Finalists for Centennial Hall of Fame Class includes Paul Tagliabue but not Robert Kraft

COACHES (eight finalists) — Coaches who last coached more than five seasons ago

Don Coryell – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Bill Cowher – 1992-2006 Pittsburgh Steelers

Tom Flores – 1979-1987 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-94 Seattle Seahawks

Mike Holmgren – 1992-98 Green Bay Packers, 1999-2008 Seattle Seahawks

Jimmy Johnson – 1989-1993 Dallas Cowboys, 1996-99 Miami Dolphins

Buddy Parker – 1949 Chicago Cardinals, 1951-56 Detroit Lions, 1957-1964 Pittsburgh Steelers

Dan Reeves – 1981-1992 Denver Broncos, 1993-96 New York Giants, 1997-2003 Atlanta Falcons

**** Vermeil – 1976-1982 Philadelphia Eagles, 1997-99 St. Louis Rams, 2001-05 Kansas City Chiefs

CONTRIBUTORS (10 finalists) — An individual other than a player or coach

Bud Adams, Owner – 1960-2013 Houston Oilers/Tennessee Oilers/Titans

Ralph Hay, Owner – 1918-1922 Canton Bulldogs

Frank “Bucko” Kilroy, Scout/General Manager/Executive – 1960-61 Philadelphia Eagles, 1962-64 Washington Redskins, 1965-1970 Dallas Cowboys, 1971-2006 New England Patriots

Art McNally, Official/Administrator – 1959-2015 National Football League

Art Modell, Owner – 1961-1995 Cleveland Browns, 1996-2011 Baltimore Ravens

Clint Murchison, Founder/Owner – 1960-1983 Dallas Cowboys

Steve Sabol, Administrator/President – 1964-2012 NFL Films

Seymour Siwoff, Owner/President – 1952-2019 Elias Sports Bureau

Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League

George Young, Contributor/General Manager – 1968-1974 Baltimore Colts, 1975-78 Miami Dolphins, 1979-1997 New York Giants, 1998-2001 National Football League

SENIORS (20 finalists) — A player who last played more than 25 seasons ago

Cliff Branch, WR – 1972-1985 Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders

Harold Carmichael, WR – 1971-1983 Philadelphia Eagles, 1984 Dallas Cowboys

Jim Covert, T – 1983-1990 Chicago Bears

Roger Craig, RB – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings

Bobby Dillon, S – 1952-59 Green Bay Packers

LaVern Dilweg, E – 1926 Milwaukee Badgers, 1927-1934 Green Bay Packers

Ox Emerson, G/LB/C – 1931-37 Portsmouth Spartans/Detroit Lions, 1938 Brooklyn Dodgers

Randy Gradishar, LB – 1974-1983 Denver Broncos

Cliff Harris, S – 1970-79 Dallas Cowboys

Winston Hill, T – 1963-1976 New York Jets, 1977 Los Angeles Rams

Cecil Isbell, TB/DB/HB – 1938-1942 Green Bay Packers

Alex Karras, DT – 1958-1962, 1964-1970 Detroit Lions

Verne Lewellen, HB – 1924-27, 1928-1932 Green Bay Packers, 1927 New York Yankees

Tommy Nobis, LB – 1966-1976 Atlanta Falcons

Drew Pearson, WR – 1973-1983 Dallas Cowboys

Donnie Shell, S – 1974-1987 Pittsburgh Steelers

Duke Slater, T – 1922 Milwaukee Badgers, 1922-25 Rock Island Independents, 1926-1931 Chicago Cardinals

Mac Speedie, E – 1946-1952 Cleveland Browns [AAFC/NFL]

Ed Sprinkle, DE/LB/E – 1944-1955 Chicago Bears

Al Wistert, OT/DT/G – 1943 Phil-Pitt, 1944-1951 Philadelphia Eagles

Last edited:
Maybe Robert Kraft should retire and become eligible in 5 years?

I don't think retirement is necessary for owners to be in the HOF. Jerry Jones is already in. Based on his contributions to the game, Kraft should get in before a owners like Art Modell or Bud Adams who were named finalists. Spa-gate is what's keeping him out.

Last edited:
Kraft has no business being in the HOF at this point, so I don't see the problem here.

I don't think retirement is necessary for owners to be in the HOF. Jerry Jones is already in. Based on his contributions to the game, Kraft should theoretically get in before a owners like Art Modell or Bud Adams who were named finalists. Spa-gate is what's keeping him out.
Modell has been dissed because of Cleveland. He has been on the list a few times and a few folks from Cleveland really, really campaign hard to keep him out. I would expect the same again.

just one example of stuff published today.
Art Modell and the Hall of Fame: His death should not change the fact he doesn't deserve it: Bill Livingston

Jerruh is in. That is the precedent and why this is a story.

It's ridiculous if it's actually because of a *. Maybe this, coupled with spygate 2 could incite some Kraft rage!

Kraft has no business being in the HOF at this point, so I don't see the problem here.
Why do you think that, DI? I would think that the 6 SB wins and 10 appearances and pure football business growth would make his enshrinement a slam dunk.

Why would Modell get in? For chasing away the greatest coach of his era and taking the team away from the die hard football fans in Cleveland?

Why do you think that, DI? I would think that the 6 SB wins and 10 appearances and pure football business growth would make his enshrinement a slam dunk.

He will get in, but the timing right now isn’t right.

Why would Modell get in? For chasing away the greatest coach of his era and taking the team away from the die hard football fans in Cleveland?
Don’t forget the trifecta - he chased away the greatest coach from an earlier era, who the greatest coach of the current era that Modell chased away thinks was the greatest of all time.

Reasons not to list Kraft in the HOF include these little tidbits published just yesterday:

“(Kraft) urges that massages should not have been recorded at any time other than the end of a massage; but the first of his offenses came at the end of a massage,” DeSousa wrote. “And he insists that recording was improper when men left on their underwear at the start of a massage; but he removed his own underwear immediately.” [EBB didn't waste time, lol].

upload_2019-12-19_14-53-1.png

Florida prosecutor slams Robert Kraft's appeal to block Orchids of Asia tapes

I know that it's grossly unfair to treat Mr. Kraft this way. He should at the very least receive the same fair treatment that AB is getting from the NFL. :rolleyes:

I don't think SB wins should put any owner in the HOF.

When I look at that list, and I'm told that only two contributors are getting in, I don't rate any of the owners as most deserving, and Kraft being on that list wouldn't change my take on that. Sabol and Siwoff would get in before all of them, as would Tagliabue, and that's three right there, so I don't even need to look at the other non-owners at that point.

Reasons not to list Kraft in the HOF include these little tidbits published just yesterday:

“(Kraft) urges that massages should not have been recorded at any time other than the end of a massage; but the first of his offenses came at the end of a massage,” DeSousa wrote. “And he insists that recording was improper when men left on their underwear at the start of a massage; but he removed his own underwear immediately.” [EBB didn't waste time, lol].

View attachment 25577

Florida prosecutor slams Robert Kraft's appeal to block Orchids of Asia tapes

I know that it's grossly unfair to treat Mr. Kraft this way. He should at the very least receive the same fair treatment that AB is getting from the NFL. :rolleyes:
He had a flight he needed to catch to KC and needed a quick release prior to that. No time to waste by keeping one’s undies on!

I don't think retirement is necessary for owners to be in the HOF. Jerry Jones is already in. Based on his contributions to the game, Kraft should get in before a owners like Art Modell or Bud Adams who were named finalists. Spa-gate is what's keeping him out.
Yes, I know that...I was subtly just stating that Kraft should "retire" and not be so prevalent in the media. Let's see him only during games/in the owners box during games

The only surprising aspect of this is that Kraft had his fingers all over the last CBA and other profitable decisions. One would think that would have put him on a shortlist. I guess not..

Don’t forget the trifecta - he chased away the greatest coach from an earlier era, who the greatest coach of the current era that Modell chased away thinks was the greatest of all time.

And, FWIW, Modell also chased away arguably the greatest college coach of our generation, too.

I don't think SB wins should put any owner in the HOF.

When I look at that list, and I'm told that only two contributors are getting in, I don't rate any of the owners as most deserving, and Kraft being on that list wouldn't change my take on that. Sabol and Siwoff would get in before all of them, as would Tagliabue, and that's three right there, so I don't even need to look at the other non-owners at that point.
I don't agree with your first sentence but admit that I was looking at this in more of a vacuum.. didn't consider the player vs non-player angle. That's an interesting point.

The only surprising aspect of this is that Kraft had his fingers all over the last CBA and other profitable decisions. One would think that would have put him on a shortlist. I guess not..
That's how I see it. He built a juggernaut team and helped the league in a more broad sense as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes