PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kraft: NFL should expand to Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
London is not "an extra two hours in a plane", it's more like an extra 7 when you consider all factors. But regardless, you're missing the point.

It is a matter of competitive advantage. In basketball and hockey, every team is travelling and playing games every couple of days, so they're all in the same boat.

But if 1 team was stationed in London, with all the rest in the U.S., then that team in London would be at an extreme competitive disadvantage. Travelling to every single road game would be anywhere from a 10 to 15 hour long ordeal, not to mention a 5 to 8 hour time difference.

It would be a physically exhausting and grueling schedule for the players. The coaches would have significantly less time to prepare for every game. Free agents would avoid London like the plague. It would be a joke.

10 to 15 hours ordeal? wow I didn't realize they were traveling to Central Asia. Plus it is not like they have a game the next day, I think most teams get Monday off after a game? right? Did you get a chance to see the planes the Pats flew over in? Not quite the same as flying coach.

I'll be honest, this Europe GARBAGE sure sounds like a way for a way to make more $, at the detriment of the "HOME-JOKE" team.
This is a ridiculous money grab at best, and a pathetic way for the LOSERS at the NFL headquaters to make $..........
NOTHING else..

LOSERS, these game do NOT benefit the players, they HURT the players.......they only help the GREEDY OWNERS...

Geeezus Cripes, HOW MUCH $ DO YOU NEED!!!!!:mad:

You do understand that total player compensation is determined by a percentage of total revenue. If there are more games in Europe, and more money, the players would get about the same amount of extra money as the owners would.

I'll be honest, this Europe GARBAGE sure sounds like a way for a way to make more $, at the detriment of the "HOME-JOKE" team.
This is a ridiculous money grab at best, and a pathetic way for the LOSERS at the NFL headquaters to make $..........
NOTHING else..

LOSERS, these game do NOT benefit the players, they HURT the players.......they only help the GREEDY OWNERS...

The next step is to have two games in Europe, probably in the 2010 season. Manchester and Dublin have been both been pushing for game.

Actually, this option has many fewer problems than the others.

OPTION
Have an increasing number of games in Europe, using existing teams with bye week following.

10 to 15 hours ordeal? wow I didn't realize they were traveling to Central Asia.
Well, how long do you think it would take to go from London to San Diego? I am not talking airtime, I am talking from the moment they arrive at one airport to the moment they leave the other. What, do you think that's just a 6 hour plan ride?
Plus it is not like they have a game the next day, I think most teams get Monday off after a game? right? Did you get a chance to see the planes the Pats flew over in? Not quite the same as flying coach.
Yeah most teams have Monday off. Of course, the London team would have to spend their Mondays travelling home, so no off day there.

But no, that wouldn't be a competitive disadvantage at all. Not one bit. :rolleyes:

You do understand that total player compensation is determined by a percentage of total revenue. If there are more games in Europe, and more money, the players would get about the same amount of extra money as the owners would.

Which team LOSES a home game?
HOW is that fair to them?

Please explain this, as any team with a good home team will lose a serious Home-Team advantage, and for WHAT exactly....... for GREED is all, no other reason...

Greedy hmcga.chgbch.gbchjb's is all Goddell and the clowns are....bunch of losers.

The only way this works is of Europe has it's own league, and the overall winner of their season plays the winner of our superbowl for a true "world champion" trophy.

All the top players are American and top 10 draft choices are going to balk at going to unknown European markets. Could you imagine Eli's reaction if he was drafted by the Warsaw never mind San Diego. If Europe had equivalent home grown talent like in basketball, hockey, and soccer, the dynamics would be different.

Do you guys think the Pats will ever come back to the UK any time soon?
I think they've done their duty to King and Country (meaning, Goodell and the League) for now so they won't be back until most of the rest of the league cycles through.

NOTHING else..

yes it's about more money but i dont think the player's mind it to much im sure some of the pats bring there fams with them and now they have a by week so they can stay a few more day's in england

so unless your tony romo lol they all most never get to take a vacation with there wife/girl friend during the season

Which team LOSES a home game?
HOW is that fair to them?

Please explain this, as any team with a good home team will lose a serious Home-Team advantage, and for WHAT exactly....... for GREED is all, no other reason...

I wholeheartedly agree with you... but in fairness, I don't think playing the game in Tampa would have helped the Bucs much today. :cool:

But seriously, I think the people really getting shafted in this deal are the fans here in the U.S. If you're enough of a fan to buy season tickets, that's 8 Sundays out of the year you really look forward to... and then you find out that Goodell and a bunch of guys in suits decided to knock that down to 7 on ya.

Or even worse, what if you're a Pats fan who lives in Tampa, and then you find out that the one time in 8 years your team will be playing where you live, they're playing in London instead. I'd be pyst.

The fan base is not big enough to sustain a franchise right now. Sure they sold 85,000 tickets for this game, but they wouldn't do that for 8 games. The average TV viewing figures for Sunday games are about 60k, there simply isn't enough support for the sport in this country. And most NFL fans in the UK have their team, speaking for myself i would not change allegiance to a team in London and i know most people wouldn't.

I wholeheartedly agree with you... but in fairness, I don't think playing the game in Tampa would have helped the Bucs much today. :cool:

But seriously, I think the people really getting shafted in this deal are the fans here in the U.S. If you're enough of a fan to buy season tickets, that's 8 Sundays out of the year you really look forward to... and then you find out that Goodell and a bunch of guys in suits decided to knock that down to 7 on ya.

Or even worse, what if you're a Pats fan who lives in Tampa, and then you find out that the one time in 8 years your team will be playing where you live, they're playing in London instead. I'd be pyst.

Yeah, season ticket holders get the shaft as well.

Money grab by the greedy owners/league.
Baseball is doing the same BS......

Not only is there concern about travel and the logistics of bye weeks and scheduling, but what about the players?

Can American Teams openly trade with European Teams? It's a much bigger question becuase as a person, I may not want to lose my rights as an America by going to England. English people have very diminished personal rights as compared to Americans. How does that work out then? And it only gets worse with other countries.

Who does this European Team draft from? American Colleges? I just think when it comes to the NFLPA, this idea is sunk, unless their salaries are subsidized by the NFL. Things are generally much more expensive over there, plus higher taxes, so going to play on that team might be a major loss in salary.

AND, you can kiss your popularity good bye in America if you get traded to that team for a few years...

So, I don't see it happening.

Even in Canada and Mexico. I think Canada is the only near possibility because our countries are so very similar.

Imagine getting drafted from Boston College to play in Mexico City... Would you even feel safe going there? Nope... who would want to LIVE there with their family?

The only way I see things happening is if someone went to Mexico and started the MFL, or something, these other leagues need to be organic to their countries and then after 20 years or so and a college / high school training system, you could up the level of play and the NFL can buy that league and integrate...

Could you imagine Eli's reaction if he was drafted by the Warsaw never mind San Diego.

Remember how delighted Matt Leinart looked when he was taken by Arizona? Just picture this: "With the 17th pick, the Stockholm Scandinavians select Matt Leinart..." :eek:

I have not read anything that has been positive about this that goes deeper than "it seems like a good idea"...Where is teh upside? Where are the logistics involved with travel, expense? Does it make sense to haveteams travel there per usual?? Makes aboslutely no sense at all....and would like to read about WHY it makes sense??

I have not read anything that has been positive about this that goes deeper than "it seems like a good idea"...Where is teh upside? Where are the logistics involved with travel, expense? Does it make sense to haveteams travel there per usual?? Makes aboslutely no sense at all....and would like to read about WHY it makes sense??

They are tunnel-visioning on the potential of more money to be made by "expanding the NFL market." All they see is selling more tickets and merchandise. This is the same rationale behind expanding the games to 17 or 18 per season.

You haven't read anything positive or you haven't read anything acceptable to you? Making money and having more NFL fans is important to the league, the owners and the players.

The league, Kraft, Brady and many others were very happy to see 80,000 screaming fans attend an NFL game. They were very satisfied to see all the merchandise being worn in the statium. They liked the worldwide-wide TV audience and the world-wide sale of merchandise.

The league and its players would like to make more money. But perhaps you don't think that people like Kraft know anything about making money.

At present the plans include increasing the number of games in Europe. You may hate it, but so what. I see moving to 8-10 games in the next decade (with a bye the next wee), with the teams rotating as now. The question of whether these 8-10 home games require a Europe-based team is another issue.

They are tunnel-visioning on the potential of more money to be made by "expanding the NFL market." All they see is selling more tickets and merchandise. This is the same rationale behind expanding the games to 17 or 18 per season.

That and they kept adding expansion teams without adding games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back