2011 NFL Mock Draft: Mel Kiper projects three full rounds of picks - ESPN

...And now, just for laughs:

17: Cameron Jordan DE California
28. Justin Houstin LB Georgia
33. Danny Watkins OG Baylor
60. Daniel Thomas RB Kansas St.
74. Jon Baldwin WR Pittsburgh
92. Marcus Gilchrist DB Clemson.

I'm OK w/ Jordan and Baldwin. Thomas had about 8 fumbles this year (without looking it up..). What is it with these espn talking heads and Gilchrist? I'm not sure if he makes it into the top-20 of my DB's. As Patschick might say, "his cones are down near 6.82, not enough quick- twitch".

Last edited:

I'm OK w/ Jordan and Baldwin. Thomas had about 8 fumbles this year (without looking it up..). What is it with these espn talking heads and Gilchrist? I'm not sure if he makes it into the top-20 of my DB's. As Patschick might say, "his cones are down near 6.82, not enough quick- twitch".

A 6.82 3-cone is actually pretty good. It's not a 6.51 or 6.38, but McCourty's was a 6.71.

Jordan - I can live with that
Houston - I like it but don't love it
Watkins - Love it

The rest is SUPER MEH.....

DB- you're probably right. I kind of dismissed him early- and have not looked at him since. I think my point here was both of these espn guys seem to say, "insert db here, because BB always drafts defensive backs early". There are a lot of guys that I would prefer to take there (I realize you need insider content), and if they did go defensive back at that spot, there are others I would certainly take earlier.

A 6.82 3-cone is actually pretty good. It's not a 6.51 or 6.38, but McCourty's was a 6.71.

Agreed, Gilchrist is a very good athlete...38.5" VJ, too. But Houston, Thomas and Baldwin make my stomach hurt.

Agreed, Gilchrist is a very good athlete...38.5" VJ, too. But Houston, Thomas and Baldwin make my stomach hurt.

Outside of Jordan, I'm not too keen on the players...but the general (not Patriots specific) value of each of those picks seems solid. Right positions, right spot in the draft, wrong players.

Gilchrist also has experience playing FS and SS so offers scheme versatility and is an excellent tackler (93 tackles, 1 sack, 3 FF in 2009 as SS). He's also a KR and took over for Spiller in 2010 and had a 23.3 return avg. Plus he's a film rat which is a big plus for BB.

He's a solid third round pick.

Last edited:
I like Jordan and Houston. I understand that some might prefer Sheard to Houston; not me. I like Watkins, although I suspect that there will be higher rated OG at 33.

I think that we could do better at 60 and 74. Carpenter at 60 plus the best running back available at 74 works much better for me, with a center in the 4th.

insider content:

Both ESPN guys have the Patriots taking a DE with their first pick. Coupled with the fact that this is something that many people on this forum (including myself) want, means this probably means it won't happen.

DAMN!!!

Last edited:
Both ESPN guys have the Patriots taking a DE with their first pick. Coupled with the fact that this is something that many people on this forum (including myself) want, means this probably means it won't happen.

DAMN!!!

It very well might happen.
But the odds of them taking a guy you like might not happen.

That is one sucky mock.

Baldwin in the third would be quite the steal, I think. I think people are sleeping on him. He could be a big talent in this league, enough so to risk the headache he may or may not end up being.

Gilchrist also has experience playing FS and SS so offers scheme versatility and is an excellent tackler (93 tackles, 1 sack, 3 FF in 2009 as SS). He's also a KR and took over for Spiller in 2010 and had a 23.3 return avg. Plus he's a film rat which is a big plus for BB.

He's a solid third round pick.

Agreed. There are a bunch of small-school corners that are right in that 3rd round mix too though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes