PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Key Match - up's vs the Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss vs Darrell Revis - Welcome to the NFL

Mankins/Neal vs Vilma/Harris et. al - can our guards peel off and get a hat on the Jets LBs in the zone run blocking scheme?

Wes Welker vs Hank Poteat - or whoever they have covering the slot receiver.

Josh McDaniels vs Kerry Rhodes - Despite not having the talent to play for the Pats, Rhodes is still a very good player. If Rhodes is crowding the box to stop the run, time for some play action.

Re: Key Match-up's vs the Jets?

You and your nit hunts. Rhodes hurt Tommy pretty good with his blitzes, and the bad reads/blocks weren't on the OL, it was Tommy himself not moving blockers or misreading that Rhodes was coming off the edge.

However wouldn't the WR's be more important in keeping Rhodes back? If their corners can't cover Moss/Stallworth one on one, then the safeties are going to have to stay back to help.

This will open the door for Maroney to have a big day as their front 7 will not be able to handle our OL & TE's. But if the WR's are being covered one on one then the safties can come up in the box.

However wouldn't the WR's be more important in keeping Rhodes back? If their corners can't cover Moss/Stallworth one on one, then the safeties are going to have to stay back to help.

This will open the door for Maroney to have a big day as their front 7 will not be able to handle our OL & TE's. But if the WR's are being covered one on one then the safties can come up in the box.
There are many things that can be done to keep Rhodes deep and off the LOS, that said, Mangini & Co. blitzed Tommy 22 times straight in the Wildcard round according to Tommy. That wasn't because they felt they could match-up man with the WRs, it was the only way to try to get Tommy off-balance. The Pats are going to see more blitzing overall because Tom Brady has great field vision and with his new WR corp should be able to find an open man more easily if a D drops 7-8 men into coverage. The only proven way to mess with Brady is to blitz him, knock him down, and get into his head. If the Jest want to beat Tommy with the blitz, do it early in the season before the O-line is in sync and Tommy has had time to develop a rapport with his new tool kit. It's on Tommy's shoulders to read the blitz and reposition his backs and receivers to slow or block blitzers off the edge, there really aren't that many blitzers who manage to get through the middle.

People have to realize that Ironman Brett Favre could run away from blitzers, Tommy is a pocket QB, even with his impressive pocket presence, he is a nearly stationary target, teams have more hope of getting to him and knocking him down even if he gets the pass off...why else the constant angst over the O-line?

There are many things that can be done to keep Rhodes deep and off the LOS, that said, Mangini & Co. blitzed Tommy 22 times straight in the Wildcard round according to Tommy. That wasn't because they felt they could match-up man with the WRs, it was the only way to try to get Tommy off-balance. The Pats are going to see more blitzing overall because Tom Brady has great field vision and with his new WR corp should be able to find an open man more easily if a D drops 7-8 men into coverage. The only proven way to mess with Brady is to blitz him, knock him down, and get into his head. If the Jest want to beat Tommy with the blitz, do it early in the season before the O-line is in sync and Tommy has had time to develop a rapport with his new tool kit. It's on Tommy's shoulders to read the blitz and reposition his backs and receivers to slow or block blitzers off the edge, there really aren't that many blitzers who manage to get through the middle.

People have to realize that Ironman Brett Favre could run away from blitzers, Tommy is a pocket QB, even with his impressive pocket presence, he is a nearly stationary target, teams have more hope of getting to him and knocking him down even if he gets the pass off...why else the constant angst over the O-line?

OK, a simple "you're wrong" would have done it.:rofl:

OK, a simple "you're wrong" would have done it.:rofl:
You weren't "wrong," your perspective was too limited. :bricks:

There will be a lot of blitz coming for Tom like the Wildcard game cause they know they don't have the talent in the secondary to cover moss and co. of course thats where Maroney can come in up the middle for long yards. Perhaps 4 receiver set and run up the middle is what i mean

I agree with the Revis vs. Moss/Stallworth assessment. I don't care how talented he is -- The kid has never played against guys that talented in a full-speed setting and doesn't even know the Jets defensive system yet, due to his hold out.

I think the Pats will torture him all day long with WR screens, double-moves, slants, etc...

Brady is going to have a field day against the kid. Just my opinion.

Pats secondary against crotch and coles.

No YAC and we win!!!

I'm going to go with generic units as opposed to individual players. I also believe you need to look at each side of the ball for those keys to the game. So,

Pats pass protection versus Jets pass rush. If the Pats win this battle then Brady will have sufficient time to find all of his dangerous receiving weapons. If Brady gets time to survey the field he'll dissect the Jets secondary which will allow Maroney to explode for several big plays along the ground.

Pats secondary coverage versus Jets passing attack The Jets have the skill players to hurt the Pats via the air. Especially on big plays. So it's mandatory the Pats secondary not give up the big play that has hurt them in recent past against these Jets. If Pennington can't pass on the Pats they won't be able to run on big Vince and the Pats LB's.

Wow, if you are looking at special teams to be a big part of the game, you can't give the edge to the Pats. The Jets probably have the best or one of the top 3 special teams units in the league. Actually, that's about the only edge you can really give the Jets. I hope it comes down to special teams, that bodes well for a Jets win.
Wow...a BIG special teams play...I think Hobbs's run blew the game open...Special teams..OK????

------I think the O Line has to prorect Brady as he was hit hard in the Mud game and that CAN NOT happen. If they keep the Jets rushers away and give Brady time, he'll cut the secondary to pieces with receivers like Welker, Moss etc.
------On the other hand, the no-huddle was very effective for the Jets and the Pats D has to stop that quick and fast and force punts. If they can get a lead, whether the Lesters go into a no-huddle will not matter as much as if
it's close.
------The secondary has to play BIG and just not let any Jets receivers get open; teh big broken play must NOT happen as it did last year. Wilson, Hobbs, Sanders etc must tackle cleanly and quickly.
-------Somehow I think ST will play a BIG role..somewhere somehow this will be a BIG advantage for the Pats.
1----No sacks by the Jesters...the line did a GREAT job!!
2----The no huddle was effective later in the game..NOT on the first drive and I think that was VERY important. It was after teh field goal mess up that the Jets were most effective using it.
3----No big plays by the Jets; secondary was in quick on receivers
4----A BIG PLAY by Hobbs...108 yards BROKE the game open...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe