PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keeping Patriots QB Tim Tebow - Pros and Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're correct. As a matter of fact, many of your post are fair critics.

It is true that I probably should have been more generic when I said, "you and others think about Tim", by saying 'what some people think about Tim', but I was excited to have such a good segue (reason) into being able to say that reasoning with some of the folks here is like pissing in the wind.

Sorry if I did you an injustice.

So are you going to explain the basis for your assertion or not?

Absolutely, the biggest mistake Chad Johnson ever made was changing his name to Ochocinco, had he changed it to Tim Tebow he would still be a Patriot, playing like the worst receiver in football wouldn't have made any difference.

So Bill Belichick is now signing people purely on the basis of their name? Well at least that saves on the costs of scouts I suppose.

Or not.

To do so would be to have the Tim detractor cult jump all over me.

Agree with me or not, my assertion stands on its own merit and has equal value to other's "assertions" unless or until a book is published with first hand accounts of the events (which I fully expect).

If he doesn't, I will. :)

When Tebow was signed, and even up to the present, many Pats fans keep asking why ? They KNOW he has flawed mechanics. They KNOW that he's inconsistent in his passing. They KNOW that he needs work reading defenses. They KNOW that he needs work on going through progressions.

Yet the Pats still signed him.

Tebow comes with a lot of baggage. For whatever the reason, he's a polarizing player who gets a ton of media attention.

Yet the Pats still signed Tebow.

They didn't do this on a lark either. The Pat and Tebow's camp had been in discussions for a while.

From Ed Werder:
In fact, Werder explained on SportsCenter that this move had been discussed by the two parties and under consideration for a long time.

“One of the things the Patriots wanted to see before they agreed to do this deal with Tebow was they wanted to see him maintain a low-key presence throughout the offseason. And to the extend he could control that, he certainly delivered on it.”

Given Tebow's flaws, he definitely isn't the ideal guy to bring in to be a "camp arm". There are plenty of other guys you'd bring in for that instead of Tebow. This applies to helping the defense with the R/O as well. Other guys can do it.

Lastly, what the Pats "knew" about Tebow wasn't just from watching tape or playing against him. Josh spent a lot of time with Tebow before drafting him in 2010. He and his brother then spent a lot of time working with Tebow in the Broncos training camp. I've seen some talk about Tebow supposedly not being smart enough to grasp the playbook, that he doesn't have a good football IQ. One would think that if this were true, Josh would have known about that in short order.

Yet, the Pats still signed Tebow.

Teams will sign an unknown and bring them into camp to see what they've got. With Tebow, the Pats already knew what they were getting, flaws and all.

Yet, the Pats still signed Tebow.

Given all of the above, I don't see this TC/preseason as a "tryout". I see it as the first part of a planned development project.

I won't speak directly for him, but I think it's a reasonable guess to make. It's also reasonable to assume he'll be cut after the game, so just because it's a reasonable guess doesn't make it set in stone...

We can be pretty certain that BB and McD have already done their basic homework on "who Tebow is". At the point when they signed him, he was the same basic player he's always been, with several of those pro's and con's listed in Ian's article. Although he's actually regressed in his passing skills, he's still essentially the same guy.

This info by itself doesn't make him a lock to make the roster. But the fact that they've devoted significant practice time to gamplan for Tebow (you don't do that for "camp arms") indicates that they might be up to something else. If they brought him in just to kick the tires he would've likely been gone by now.

So... I think that 2 things point strongest toward keeping Tebow. 1. He's had offensive plays put in to take advantage of his specific skills. 2. He's potentially versatile enough to be plugged into a variety of roles. I don't buy the Tebow=TE crap, but he's shown elite skills with running the football, fake punts, fills in at WR, TE in an emergency. He brings alot to the table that most players can't.

I won't be shocked if he's cut, after some horrendous throws this offseason, but I believe that Tebow can be a very good player, and I hope that the coaches here agree.

I will wait until after tonight but I have a great deal of respect for the mind of BB and I assume he feels the same away about JMc so I need to relax and allow these football brains figure out their plan for Tebow. Whatever they decide I will go along with because I am out in left field.

Absolutely, the biggest mistake Chad Johnson ever made was changing his name to Ochocinco, had he changed it to Tim Tebow he would still be a Patriot, playing like the worst receiver in football wouldn't have made any difference.

Ivan this is how its done right here ^^^^^^^^^ bravo, witty, not re-hashed and brutal. Now that you have set the bar this high please do not regress.

So Bill Belichick is now signing people purely on the basis of their name? Well at least that saves on the costs of scouts I suppose.

Well, according to the Tebowites how he performs isn't a factor, after all, he's Tim Tebow.

Good ,fair article, thanks.

Agreed.

Here's the main thing that Ian pointed out that I've been saying from the start.

If Belichick plans on using him in any "situational football" then we shouldn't expect Belichick to tip his hand in the pre-season. That's something Belichick would work on with Tebow and the team in private.

So the fact that we've seen nothing can mean nothing - or something.

Same with the fact that he's still on the roster. Belichick may often give veterans a chance to catch on with other teams by cutting them early - which winds up being one of many reasons veterans are willing to give the Patriots a chance - it's also likely that Belichick simply needs a warm body to join Mallet to play QB tonight.

Basically we won't know what Belichick is going to do until he does it.

Personally, I think Tebow CAN contribute to this team in certain situations as we've seen that teams know they run a significant risk by ignoring him while he's on the field.

Under the direction of a smart coach, that type of distraction/disruption can make a difference in certain situations - and I consider Belichick to be a smart coach.

And unlike most of those who have been calling for Tebow to be cut for the last month, I actually trust Belichick's judgement, no matter what he ultimately decides.

I think the one thing EVERYONE can agree upon is that Tebow is completely inadequate as an NFL caliber quarterback.

It seems to me most of the Tebow-haters here are under the mistaken impression that Belichick brought Tebow in to push Brady and Mallet on the roster - when in fact my assumption is just the opposite - and that Belichick's plans for Tebow have and always have been to play a role other than QB - and that Belichick would never tip his hand about what role that was during the preseason.

I think the question of whether Belichick believes Tebow can truly play that "other" role is really the central issue.

Well, according to the Tebowites how he performs isn't a factor, after all, he's Tim Tebow.

Can you do a favor, and keep your imbecile comments over in your "other" Tebow thread? This one seems to be getting along just fine without you here, to tell all us crazy "Tebowites" exactly what we're thinking.

You're not even arguing with real people. Why don't you start a thread where you can argue with yourself continuously, for days? New Thread= Ivan decides what Tebowites Think, then "Exposes" them, for their Ridiculous Opinions.

And if he sucks and gets cut you are right. If he sucks and makes the team then BB is a Tebowite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents