PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

June 13 in Pats History: OJ loses his cool

Went to the 1979 Mass. High School Championship hockey game between St Johns Shrewsbury and St Johns Prep (Danvers) with their stud sophomore Bobby Carpenter...played out in Springfield at the Eastern States Coliseum built in 1916 (what a relic).
Double overtime 7-6 win by SJ Prep with Carpenter simply taking over in the extra periods, looking like Bobby Orr with his end to end rushes.
Wish I could find a box score for this game to jostle my memory, but SJ Shrewsbury was down by something like 3 or 4 goals with 5 minutes left in the 3rd and as if they flipped a switch, they tied the game forcing it into two OTs.
It was bedlam.
Best sporting event I ever went
Finding high school hockey info prior to 1991 seems to be much more difficult than it should be.

I finally found this pdf which lists championship games up through 1977 on page 14, but offers nothing more than the final scores:

Also from the pdf above, has there ever been a better high school hockey player than Robbie Ftorek? Apparently in a 1970 tournament game against Malden Catholic he scored nine points in a 11-1 victory for Needham. Keep in mind this was MC, in the tournament, not some slouch team at the bottom of the standings in the Bay State League.

A bit more on a regular season game that had Ftorek on one side and Mike Milbury on the other:

A couple links to Carpenter and his high school hockey days:

Today in Patriots History

- Sam Adams, 48; Seattle defensive lineman is the son of Patriot guard Sam Adams, a member of the Pats 1970s all-decade team who played 119 games for the Patriots.
Adams had a 37 yard pick 6 of Brady in the 2003 31-0 opening day "they hate their coach" debacle as a member of the Bills....

I saw on his social media he's listing his pronouns as

He/Them

sound it out.

Today in Patriots History
Maybe he was conceived while his parents were listening to Shining Star and Boogie Wonderland

Happy 42nd birthday to Earthwind Moreland
Born June 13, 1977 in Atlanta
Patriot CB, 2004; uniform #29
Signed to the practice squad on September 22, 2004

23648085-standard.jpg

Undrafted out of Georgia Southern, the guy whose mother named him after the R&B band bounced around with the Bucs, Jets, Saints, Jaguars, Browns and Vikings for four years while appearing in just three games (plus a season in Europe). The Pats promoted Earth Wind & Fire from the practice squad mid season after injuries to Ty Law and Tyrone Poole left them with Troy Brown starting in the secondary. Moreland ended up playing in nine games with two starts for the Pats, with 17 tackles and a fumble recovery. While he did earn a ring for Super Bowl 39, by season end he was a non-factor behind Asante Samuel, Randall Gay and Troy Brown on the depth chart at cornerback, and was inactive in the playoffs. After a couple years of arena football he became an elementary school phys ed teacher and high school football coach in Georgia.

After a four year college career, Earthwind spent time on the roster/practice squad of the Buccaneers, Saints, Jets, Browns, Jaguars, and Vikings, with no actual playing time. He finally received playing time with the 2004 Patriots, where he had 17 tackles and a fumble recovery, but was cut after the season. This was a shame considering that he had worked his way up to playing in Dime package for the Patriots, but considering that Troy Brown was the Nickel corner at the time, this was less than impressive.

Earthwind Moreland knows a thing or two or four about winning big. He brought home hardware after a win in the 2005 Super Bowl Championship as a new New England Patriot. But just four years before that, he helped the Georgia Southern Eagles win a national title, too, and it was that experience and his former Eagles head coach Paul Johnson he credits with preparing him to step on to one of the world's biggest stages.
His former NFL coach Bill Belichick led that 2004-05 team to victory, and Moreland wants the trophy to go home with New England again this Sunday night. He played corner back for other NFL programs until he retired in 2008. He says his heart forever belongs to the Patriots because of the once in a lifetime opportunity.
Per Genesis, there is in fact more Earth than Sea. I am sure that plays into it somehow.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back