PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan Martin back in the news

Just talking about what goes on in the football game: Incognito is a better player than Martin, though he's not really a top-tier guard. Further, he's a risk for a personal foul on every single play. There's a reason he's not a St. Louis Ram anymore, and there's a reason he'll be an ex-Dolphin soon.
He didn't have any personal foul or unnecessary roughness penalties in his 8 games this season, and one of his two unnecessary roughness calls from 2012 was incorrectly attributed to him when it should have been on his teammate. So that's one legitimate "extracurricular" penalty in a season and a half.

I think what it will come down to is what Daboll (2011 OC) and DeGuglielmo (2010-2011 OL coach) have to say about Incognito. If they think they can keep him under control, then he's either a better center than Wendell or a better guard than Connolly.

On my way back from ski resort. Im going to kill two birds with one stone here. Incognito plays with intensity emotion. Its needed to win in the nfl. This could have been the theme of the oline. Maybe martin did get sucked in to nonsense he never wanted to be part of. Maybe so did incognito. Bellichick wouldnt have that enironment. Incognito would be awesome on our line. And Connolly moves to center. Thats a pretty good line across. Unless they may want to replace Connolly. Mankins needs to be restructured. He is also moving to the decade vet club. He needs to really step up his offseason diet and conditioning. Or else he will decline. Theres a reason big guys decline so rapidly. So if he isn't going to be the weak link if we acquire incognito or not he needs to hire nutritional and conditioning trainers.

I sure hope Bellichick wouldnt rather have wendall than incognito. For one he should welcome incognito type intensity and be confident of his ability as coach to create environment and know his players respect him enough to not embarrass him and the team. If he would really prefer a Wendall over an Incognito time an again due to minor issues that can be controlled them we will never win another super bowl title. He is a great great schemer and coach. He has a great qb. Maybe best ever. OnThere is a 9 yr super bowl drought due to lack of talent. Playing teams better equipped in this passing league.

I think Bellichick is finally realizing it. He sees the advantages of talent and athleticism. He feels the advantages of an Aqib Talib whom he can put on an aj green or andre johnson. The advantage of collins type speed and athleticism over a Brandon spikes.

For the record i think incognito is a good teammate and has matured. I would prefer him at rg and Connolly at center than a mega contract for Eric Wood. I think incognito is as good a guard there is. He was the first i saw dominate Wilfork. OnHe had Vince and he fought for all he worth to get free. To Incognito it looked effortless. I was likealmost in shock and thought to myself Incognito is very underrated or Vince is losing it.

I don't think BB would take Martin on his team if Martin paid for the privilege.

I agree. Martin is a quitter who was losing his starting job with the Dolphins, wanted to walk away but didn't know how to do it without making himself look bad so he concocted this story about being bullied and put upon by his teammates. The fact that Martin is getting zero support from anywhere speaks volumes about this situation.

dude's gotta man up. :cool:

Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 2m
Tony Dungy received a somewhat confrontational phone call this wk from Joe Philbin who felt Dungy had blamed him for Martin/Incognito fiasco

Would love to have heard that conversation.

Hope Dungy didn't find Volin's comments in today's Globe too confrontational:

The Dolphins will move on from both players, and it’s doubtful another NFL team will want to sign Martin.

The media also played a shameful role in this ordeal. Early reports in November were woefully incomplete as reporters ran with information leaked by Martin’s camp without trying to get the full story. And Tony Dungy went way too soft on Martin in last week’s NBC interview, failing to question Martin’s motives.

Last edited:
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport 2m
Tony Dungy received a somewhat confrontational phone call this wk from Joe Philbin who felt Dungy had blamed him for Martin/Incognito fiasco

Would love to have heard that conversation.

Hope Dungy didn't find Volin's comments in today's Globe too confrontational:
I don't want either one of these losers, and that's what they both are, our team. If our search for quality o-line players leads us to either one of these d-bags, we're far worse off than I thought. It seems to me that Incognito has been somewhat cleared here. But based upon what I've learned about him since this all broke, I'm saying "no thanks.". He's a pretty good player, although not as good as some would lead you to believe, but I think we can do better in the draft of FA. Actually, he sounds like the perfect Rex Jet: loud, vulgar, a pig and overrated.

Not to piss on this thread but I really could give a rats ass about Martin ... his career is just about over now that he's been exposed as a patsy and a fraud.

Incognito is not going to be a Patriot. They aren't bringing in a guy who gets the cops called to the team charity golf outing and has to pay a settlement with confidentiality agreements to keep it quiet.

Volin's comments continue the one strange theme of the whole affair - the way anyone who covered the Dolphins (Volin, Darlington, etc) feels the need to over defend Incognito. He was voted the "good guy" by the press in 2012. I'm not sure if they are so embarrassed by that they feel the need to blindly defend him or if it really just comes down to "he gives me good quotes" for them.

I agree. Martin is a quitter who was losing his starting job with the Dolphins, wanted to walk away but didn't know how to do it without making himself look bad so he concocted this story about being bullied and put upon by his teammates. The fact that Martin is getting zero support from anywhere speaks volumes about this situation.
True, and I bet the incident involving the girl at the Dolphins golf outing who had to endure a drunken Incognito rubbing his golf club over her breasts and genitals in front of the other members of his foursome has Bob Kraft all dreamy about signing Itchy Richie.

True, and I bet the incident involving the girl at the Dolphins golf outing who had to endure a drunken Incognito rubbing his golf club over her breasts and genitals in front of the other members of his foursome has Bob Kraft all dreamy about signing Itchy Richie.
That's not a whole lot different than what Haynesworth did before the Patriots traded for him.

That's not a whole lot different than what Haynesworth did before the Patriots traded for him.
Actually, if you read the details of both incidents they are a lot different.

If those texts were supposed to be the evidence, then I'd have no problem taking Incognito on the Patriots next season.

If those texts were supposed to be the evidence, then I'd have no problem taking Incognito on the Patriots next season.

Having Mankins and Incognito as the guards on the same line would certainly make for an aggressive interior O-line.

I have no problem with the thought of Incognito on the team for good value, if that's the route that Belichick chooses to go with. After all, he's a good football player--at the very least quite physical and tough.

It isn't like it makes a damn bit of difference anyway. It's not like the media and opposing fanbases could possibly hate us any more than they already do.

I have no problem with the thought of Incognito on the team for good value, if that's the route that Belichick chooses to go with. After all, he's a good football player--at the very least quite physical and tough.

It isn't like it makes a damn bit of difference anyway. It's not like the media and opposing fanbases could possibly hate us any more than they already do.

Talib, Blount, Dillon, Moss.....If BB thinks he can help, he'll sign him...The guy has been in the league 8 years and hasn't even sniffed the playoffs or a winning team. Have him call Talib or Blount and ask what a winning team is like and if that would help keep him in line....I wouldn't mind having him protecting TFB.....
As for Martin, there is mental toughness required in certain professions and jobs. I'm not sure he has it and he found a convenient excuse to keep the money flowing while scapegoating Richie. RI is no angle by a long shot but reading those texts shows good natured bantering that Martin used to his advantage.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back