PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jonathan Cooper before now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you are right.

For those that haven't watched him yet:

Firstly, watch the second play on this video. Two blocks at the LOS and then runs 60 yards downfield with Giovani Bernard.

And then watch these.

Manx I seriously value your opinion and views on players as I watch next to no college ball. When you post something and say look at this it's a must watch as you are more right then wrong. When you posted games of Shaq's he jumped off the screen routinely blowing guys 4-6 yards off the ball with more pancakes then IHOP. I just watched all of these videos and it took me a while to figure out which one was Cooper. I did not see any crazy power run blocking in fact a lot of the time it was GEO making the first guy miss. By the time I did find Cooper I saw him on the ground a lot laying out to get guys. The one plus I recognized was as a pass blocker. He generally got his guy squared up and while ackward looking his man never got passed him once engaged. Still too much flopping around and I worry at the NFL level he will get bull dozed by power. What did you see that made you think he was worthy of the 7th overall pick? I will admit the speed to get down the field in that second screen pass was impressive but he blocked nobody and ended up on the ground. Honestly all these videos did for me was make me want GEO. Some of his moves were SICK!

Manx I seriously value your opinion and views on players as I watch next to no college ball. When you post something and say look at this it's a must watch as you are more right then wrong. When you posted games of Shaq's he jumped off the screen routinely blowing guys 4-6 yards off the ball with more pancakes then IHOP. I just watched all of these videos and it took me a while to figure out which one was Cooper. I did not see any crazy power run blocking in fact a lot of the time it was GEO making the first guy miss. By the time I did find Cooper I saw him on the ground a lot laying out to get guys. The one plus I recognized was as a pass blocker. He generally got his guy squared up and while ackward looking his man never got passed him once engaged. Still too much flopping around and I worry at the NFL level he will get bull dozed by power. What did you see that made you think he was worthy of the 7th overall pick? I will admit the speed to get down the field in that second screen pass was impressive but he blocked nobody and ended up on the ground. Honestly all these videos did for me was make me want GEO. Some of his moves were SICK!

He's not a power blocker for sure but some of his double blocks, his speed to the second level and his ability to come off one block to block someone else are ideal in a zone scheme. I also felt that that N Carolina blocking system looked fairly complicated and he worked within it very well. It should be noted that the Pats were high on another guy from that OL (like second round grade high) which suggests to me that Dante admires the blocking scheme.. Watch that long run again. He blocks two people at the los before running doen field. Not sustained blocks, but he wasn't meant to. He was just meant to hold a couple of guys lo[ng enough to spring the play and then to get down field.

Thanks for the kind words. People don't always see the same when watching tape and that's absolutely fine.

I'm cautiously liking this trade but this bothers me. I like my Olinemen to have big mean streaks a la Mankins. Guys that need hugs and pats aren't starting off from the right base.

I don't care whether he's a big cuddly bear or a mean SOB, I just want a lineman that will reduce the time from when the DL gets from his stance to Tom Brady to less than the straight line speed between those two points. We didn't even get that in the playoffs this year.

Vollmer has an unfair rap.

2015- Plays 14 games. High ankle sprain only misses a couple of games. Back by playoffs
2014- Plays 15 games
2013- Plays 8 games and breaks his leg
2012- Plays 15 games
2011- Plays 6 games. Back and shoulder
2010- Played in 16 games
2009- Plays 14 games. Rookie year.

Except for the back issue 5 years ago and a broken leg hes has been reliable.

He does seem to be one of those guys who yo-yos between being excellent and meh in ways that suggest he's hampered by "minor" injuries.

He does seem to be one of those guys who yo-yos between being excellent and meh in ways that suggest he's hampered by "minor" injuries.

I'll respectfully disagree. Vollmer has been a solid to borderline Pro Bowl RT for this team for some time.

Sums up this fan base with this post

It's not like this team has ever pulled someone off of the ****pile and turned them into gold, so I agree, let's all be pessimistic assholes 24x7.

I pledge to quit posting on patsfans.com forever if I'm ever optimistic again.

Remember that great Patriot Ross Tucker? I do. He was on the way up and, surprise, expected to come in as a solid backup and compete for a starting job.

He played one game.

Then, he became a writer, and all of a sudden, his personal friend Tom Brady is picking his brain about offensive strategy, because his good friend Ross...

Who played one game...

Is his go to guy for offensive advice.

All of this is true, if you find his old articles, he's almost an assistant coach for all the insight he personally shared with Brady...

When he played one game.

Tucker is actually a decent writer, he is just incredibly full of s--t when it comes to anything Patriots.

Tucker is actually a decent writer, he is just incredibly full of s--t when it comes to anything Patriots.
Yea he gets pretty douchy when it comes to all things Pats. Didn't BB cut him in camp in 2002 or something?

Yeah, and I don't know, but my impression is Scar is very patient and not a yeller. We'll see.
Scars not a yeller? He is infamous for creating new ways of stringing expletives together. Aside from his flair with words, its also an entertaining sight to behold a man verbally destroying another man that is more than double his size and a quarter his age.

"You Bleepity Bleep!!! Bleepity Bleepity Bleep Bleep!! What on Earth were you Bleep Bleepity thinking you Bleepity Bleppity Bleep!!!"

Last edited:
I'll respectfully disagree. Vollmer has been a solid to borderline Pro Bowl RT for this team for some time.

I'd love to see Vollmer extended for a few years, particularly if the price is right. Dump Cannon and use the money we're throwing away on him to pay for it. If Spriggs falls out of 1st round, use the extra picks to move up. Draft another tackle with a comp pick and groom them both for a year. With the exception of Mankins during his rookie year and Brian Waters that year he was here, Vollmer has been our best O-Line player since being drafted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick