PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Wendling....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Sanders also. Doesn't offer the same skills as Rodney -- but not many players do. If we need to turn our focus on Geno's position -- than let's. A ball hawking, classic FS type who's strength is coverage. Look at all of the Free Safeties...and perhaps a few CBs as well.

Bottom line is, we could use a playmaker in our Secondary.

I like Sanders also. Doesn't offer the same skills as Rodney -- but not many players do. If we need to turn our focus on Geno's position -- than let's. A ball hawking, classic FS type who's strength is coverage. Look at all of the Free Safeties...and perhaps a few CBs as well.

Bottom line is, we could use a playmaker in our Secondary.

agreed. Sanders wont make impact Rodney did b/c not many do but Sanders is a good tackler..im fine with him.

Wendling can be like Sanders..tackle but he wont be a playmaker and hes slow..id rather shift focus to getting a playmaker who makes an impact rather than a smart..decent starter in league

Wendling seems worth considering...another name to ponder, Rouse, VA Tech - I'd like to know more about the personal fouls he's drawn in games, but that's our Rodney too.

Wendling seems worth considering...another name to ponder, Rouse, VA Tech - I'd like to know more about the personal fouls he's drawn in games, but that's our Rodney too.

he doesnt always play smart..most of his fouls are roughing the passer and hitting related

he has a story..his father killed his brother right before he was born..his dad eventually got out of jail and said he would never leave him and then his dad killed another man and hasnt talked to him since. hes a physical in the box guy..decent cover guy..like a Roy Williams i would say. anyways his family is cramped into a little house provided by government or w.e .. hes POOR in other words. he just wants a chance to give it all back to his mom..not afraid to admit hes a mama's boy. i like his style..physical..mean but being smart on the field and coverage has me questioning. yes like Rodney..i dont consider Rodney cheap or dirty anymore but Rouse is a guy who will still hit u after you've thrown the ball or w.e and called for late hit

Last edited:
he doesnt always play smart..most of his fouls are roughing the passer and hitting related

he has a story..his father killed his brother right before he was born..his dad eventually got out of jail and said he would never leave him and then his dad killed another man and hasnt talked to him since. hes a physical in the box guy..decent cover guy..like a Roy Williams i would say. anyways his family is cramped into a little house provided by government or w.e .. hes POOR in other words. he just wants a chance to give it all back to his mom..not afraid to admit hes a mama's boy. i like his style..physical..mean but being smart on the field and coverage has me questioning
That may mean he would be receptive to a mentor like Rodney, the kid showed some real physical gifts, unfortunately we'll be left wondering since it's unlikely we'll ever get a good feel for his personal issues.

Another guy I'd consider for a SS conversion project is OLB Stephen Nicholas of South Florida, he's 6'2" 228 and has played all three LB slots.

agreed. Sanders wont make impact Rodney did b/c not many do but Sanders is a good tackler..im fine with him.

Wendling can be like Sanders..tackle but he wont be a playmaker and hes slow..id rather shift focus to getting a playmaker who makes an impact rather than a smart..decent starter in league

When did beinig 4.4-4.5 constitute being SLOW? Its amazing what people just make up to slam a guy.

I just ran across this message board while googleing John Wendling. Turns out I am from Wyoming, and I am a huge Patriots fan as my family is from Mass. Anyhow wanted to let evryone know how much of a stud Wendling is.

He runs a 4.38 forty, his vertical leap is 40.9 inches. He is 6'1, 222 lbs. He is a massive hitter, and he always wraps up. He has great ball skills, he makes big plays. His cover skills are better then he is given credit for, he was basically used as a linebacker in college. He lined up near the line of scrimmage often and blitzed a fair amount. When lined up in coverage he was great. He also returned kicks this past year and excelled at that. He is a high character guy. He was never injured to my knowledge which is a good thing considering the Patriots histroy with secondary injuries. He led the team in tackles his sophmore year, was second his junior year, and his tackles dropped off this past year because WYO switched to a 3-4.

I watched this guy play every Saturday and he is the real deal, he will be around in the second round for sure, and maybe the third, he would be a steal at that point though.

Just my .02

I just ran across this message board while googleing John Wendling. Turns out I am from Wyoming, and I am a huge Patriots fan as my family is from Mass. Anyhow wanted to let evryone know how much of a stud Wendling is.

He runs a 4.38 forty, his vertical leap is 40.9 inches. He is 6'1, 222 lbs. He is a massive hitter, and he always wraps up. He has great ball skills, he makes big plays. His cover skills are better then he is given credit for, he was basically used as a linebacker in college. He lined up near the line of scrimmage often and blitzed a fair amount. When lined up in coverage he was great. He also returned kicks this past year and excelled at that. He is a high character guy. He was never injured to my knowledge which is a good thing considering the Patriots histroy with secondary injuries. He led the team in tackles his sophmore year, was second his junior year, and his tackles dropped off this past year because WYO switched to a 3-4.

I watched this guy play every Saturday and he is the real deal, he will be around in the second round for sure, and maybe the third, he would be a steal at that point though.

Just my .02
Thanks for sharing! Any other players from Wyoming or their conference rivals who you liked?

Thanks for sharing! Any other players from Wyoming or their conference rivals who you liked?

First off I would like to note that Wendling also rushed 6 times for 119 yards. Most were on fake punts, but he is good with the ball in his hands.

To be honest, the talent pool in the Mountain Weat is kind of weak. The state of Colorado produces some good football players and they usually end up at either CU, CSU, UW. BYU always has a good quarterback, John Beck this year was no exception. San Diego State produces some good linebackers. Utah has had some good players recently thanks to Urban Meyer. As for the best my list would be:

Jonny Harline TE BYU
Eric Weddle DB Utah
Tommy Blake DE TCU (junior)
Cameron Jensen LB BYU

These are the most notable. Harline is a go to sort of guy. He had 63 catches for 853 yards this past year. He had 9 for 181 in their bowl game against Oregon.

Weddle is a stud as well. He is a bit of a headcase though. He got kicked out of a game against Wyoming his Junior year because WYO's stud reciever Jovon Bouknight was making him look silly and he basically attacked him after a reception. They lined him up at corner and he did pretty well, but I don't think he could play CB in the NFL. They also used him at running back occassionally.

As for the other two, they are good, I just know less about them. I know that Blake was dominant this past year, but I am not sure if he is entering the draft or not. :rocker:

First off I would like to note that Wendling also rushed 6 times for 119 yards. Most were on fake punts, but he is good with the ball in his hands.

To be honest, the talent pool in the Mountain Weat is kind of weak. The state of Colorado produces some good football players and they usually end up at either CU, CSU, UW. BYU always has a good quarterback, John Beck this year was no exception. San Diego State produces some good linebackers. Utah has had some good players recently thanks to Urban Meyer. As for the best my list would be:

Jonny Harline TE BYU
Eric Weddle DB Utah
Tommy Blake DE TCU (junior)
Cameron Jensen LB BYU

These are the most notable. Harline is a go to sort of guy. He had 63 catches for 853 yards this past year. He had 9 for 181 in their bowl game against Oregon.

Weddle is a stud as well. He is a bit of a headcase though. He got kicked out of a game against Wyoming his Junior year because WYO's stud reciever Jovon Bouknight was making him look silly and he basically attacked him after a reception. They lined him up at corner and he did pretty well, but I don't think he could play CB in the NFL. They also used him at running back occassionally.

As for the other two, they are good, I just know less about them. I know that Blake was dominant this past year, but I am not sure if he is entering the draft or not. :rocker:
Thanks Wyo! Interesting anecdote about Weddle, he made a good impression at the Senior Bowl, but that is the kind of thing the Pats aren't supposed to like in their players. I read a note somewhere about Harline's bowl game, any feel for how well he blocks?

Thanks Wyo! Interesting anecdote about Weddle, he made a good impression at the Senior Bowl, but that is the kind of thing the Pats aren't supposed to like in their players. I read a note somewhere about Harline's bowl game, any feel for how well he blocks?

He didn't do much blocking, he lined up on the outside the majority of the time. I would compare him to say Chris Cooley. He's 6'4, 240 so he has pretty good size to start with and he could add some more weight to his frame.

I am glad I found this place, I can already see that I sense that I will be spending some quality time here this offseason! I have Sirius radio and listen to the NFL channel at my job everyday and absolutely love it, but it is good to be able to conversate.

He didn't do much blocking, he lined up on the outside the majority of the time. I would compare him to say Chris Cooley. He's 6'4, 240 so he has pretty good size to start with and he could add some more weight to his frame.

I am glad I found this place, I can already see that I sense that I will be spending some quality time here this offseason! I have Sirius radio and listen to the NFL channel at my job everyday and absolutely love it, but it is good to be able to conversate.
I'm an addict. I checked and from what I can see Blake is staying at TCU for next season, nfldraftscout has him listed as their #6 prospect at DE in the 2008 draft.

From the summary of scout inc's description (subscription only):

"Wendling lacks ideal athleticism and he's not an explosive hitter, but his combination of size and straight-line speed are outstanding. He also impresses with his instincts, toughness and leadership. Wendling has flown under the radar throughout much of his collegiate career at Wyoming but he continues to improve each season and he has great intangibles. His versatility on special teams also adds to his value, which is why we think Wendling deserves consideration early on the second day of the 2007 draft."

FWIW, they have him rated as number nine @ safety.

Wow! Though I'm sure BB would say, "Keep your hands up!"

Thank you! I'd heard about that video, glad to get a look at it!

Wendling's combine numbers were strong all around.
Ditto.

I went back and reread his profile on NFLDraftScout, hard to find fault with him. I think the physicality thing they talk about can be improved with some Rodney tutelage and competition level can't be helped. Love the Draddy semi-finalist status. Mayock calls him an in the box player and NFLDS has him being more balanced, I'll be watching my tape of the various All-Star games and looking for him among the different players who caught my eye - such as Stone and Piscatelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST