PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Wendling....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked tough, aggressive, very smart, leader, elite intangibles the best!

I liked tough, aggressive, very smart, leader, elite intangibles the best!

True, maybe a "Tom Brady" type in the secondary. I DO like him....2nd round?

True, maybe a "Tom Brady" type in the secondary. I DO like him....2nd round?

Thinking more like a John Lynch.

Hmmm, this is where the heavyweights would step in last year. The rookBostons, Box O' Rocks, the Dryheat 44's and Patchick...All draft mavens to speculate on value groupings and where he would fit. That said, I would go for something like late2nd to 3rd.

Hmmm, this is where the heavyweights would step in last year. The rookBostons, Box O' Rocks, the Dryheat 44's and Patchick...All draft mavens to speculate on value groupings and where he would fit. That said, I would go for something like late2nd to 3rd.

A secret handshake required to join...or can anyone play? ;)

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=48109&highlight=wendling

Oh yes. After the top three Safeties, Eric Weddle and John Wendling are very intriguing prospects in maybe rounds 2-3. Both are smart, versatile players. Wendling has the far better size and speed...strong vs the run. Weddle may be more instinctive and seems better in coverage. I think they're both Pats-type prospects we could consider after round one. They're just not on the same level as Nelson or Landry, who are definate first-rounders.

Both Rodney and Geno will be back healthy next season -- so we don't have to go R1 for that position. The future may be NOW for finding Rodney's replacement who will have plenty of time to develop (unless Sanders can fill his shoes). But it's good to know there are other Safety options for us later on. I still want a playmaking DB from this draft...be it a CB or Safety. The round doesn't matter -- just the right player.

Secret handshakes aside:rolleyes: , I had a feeling about jumping on this kid late. Thanks for showing me that this kid has been discussed. He just seems to have all the tools that our team needs for a Rodney understudy. And I like his size.

As far as the namedropping, it just struck me that these people haven't ventured forth this year as of yet to this forum. Very uncharacteristic. This is not a discredit to anyone now posting here, so please do not take it that way.

I'm not sure I want to jump on the bandwagon yet. Especially when I see stuff on the like "Destined to be a workout warrior due to his phenomenal triangle numbers..."

That being said, he does sound like an intiguing 2nd/3rd round prospect.

As far as the namedropping, it just struck me that these people haven't ventured forth this year as of yet to this forum. Very uncharacteristic. This is not a discredit to anyone now posting here, so please do not take it that way.

I guess you missed the wink ;) --no offense taken on my part. Newbies to the forum like myself always hope to be welcomed on board, knowing full well veteran posters (like the aforementioned), have already earned their respect over time. Because they're all seemingly unavailable...I was hoping anyone could chirp in. No sarcasm intended...:)

I'm not sure I want to jump on the bandwagon yet. Especially when I see stuff on the like "Destined to be a workout warrior due to his phenomenal triangle numbers..."

I think that comment indicates his stock could rise significantly at the combine. Personally, I would feel really good taking a chance on someone like this with a mid round pick. To be honest, any S dropping to us in the first isn't going to have both his size and speed together. Not to mention his personality and playing style being an exact fit for this team. I would like to see a LB taken there, and go for someone like him around the third.

"Destined to be a workout warrior due to his phenomenal triangle numbers..."

I like the smart part -- especially for Safety. Wendling was one of the 'Draddy' finalists. All of whom were national scholar-athlete award winners.

"Solid tackler", I like that, he does sound like he would fit here. During the Pats dynasty's best days, scouts always commented at how well the Patriots tacked, they really limited YAC. We need to get more guys like that.

couldnt agree more
too many guys that just go for the big hit and dont wrap up....rosie colvin, assante samuel being the biggest culprits

couldnt agree more
too many guys that just go for the big hit and dont wrap up....rosie colvin, assante samuel being the biggest culprits

What? Samuel doesn't wrap up? You don't say? And here I thought he was the next coming of Mike Ditka (thought at CB) the way some people talk about his tackling.

I had a post about him. From the descriptions, he sounds like a Pats player to me. I'm curious to hear from those who have seen him.

I like the smart part -- especially for Safety. Wendling was one of the 'Draddy' finalists. All of whom were national scholar-athlete award winners.

And Brian Leonard won the Draddy. ;)

Last edited:
What? Samuel doesn't wrap up? You don't say? And here I thought he was the next coming of Mike Ditka (thought at CB) the way some people talk about his tackling.

wooo
no need for that

Sure sounds good to me,but does BB & SP think it is a good thing:confused:

he sounds like it but hes cant cover aswell as the other safeties. his hips just arent fluid and he gets beat a lot

he sounds like it but hes cant cover aswell as the other safeties. his hips just arent fluid and he gets beat a lot

I hear you. But Rodney's strength isn't coverage either. What Harrison brings to the table are too numerous to list. I just want to find his future replacement somewhere (preferably the draft)...who has the intangibles of Harrison. Smart, potential leader, playmaker, etc.

It may not be Wendling...but he's still one of only a small group of Safety prospects I'd at least consider. The positive is, if the round one Safeties are off the board for the Pats, they can select a different position in R1 -- and have some Safety options later on.

I hear you. But Rodney's strength isn't coverage either. What Harrison brings to the table are too numerous to list. I just want to find his future replacement somewhere (preferably the draft)...who has the intangibles of Harrison. Smart, potential leader, playmaker, etc.

It may not be Wendling...but he's still one of only a small group of Safety prospects I'd at least consider. The positive is, if the round one Safeties are off the board for the Pats, they can select a different position in R1 -- and have some Safety options later on.

we have Rodney's replacement imo..if you want a guy who can play the run and blitz..say no more. James Sanders played pretty well..im comfortable with him being a starting SS for us. If we get a safety, maybe more of a cover guy like Wilson..Hawkins is overrated by our fans..hes not very good, hes just smart, a leader and communicates well and a "good" tackler. He doesnt stand out in coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST