PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

John Hannah Top 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan13

Hall of Fame Poster
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some fun video for the Holidays. John Hannah clip from the NFL Top 100 series, presented by J Klecko (who should be in the HOF). When watching the highlights it is amazing how often he wipes out 3 defenders on a play. He is the best OL I have ever seen.

NFL Top 100 Players of All Time - #24 John Hannah - YouTube

Last edited:
Great stuff, thanks!

From a 2011 perspective, it's really striking how much they led with their heads back then. Kind of like watching old clips of NHL games without helmets.

dayum...i missed john hannah on the countdown.

Look at the dude's legs. Monster.

The Jets were still playing at Shea. It was somewhere around 77 or 78. Jerry Girard on Ch. 11 NY showed the highlight something like 10x on his sportscast that Sunday Night. A Jet cb blitzed off of their right and our left. He was running at full speed and thought he had a clean shot at Grogan. John Hannah checked inside and didn't have to help there. Saw the Jet defender and did a reverse pivot and exploded into the guy. . And, literally launched the Jet defender. I'm not joking. He landed about 10 yards from where he was hit. The most amazing block I've ever seen. I have never seen the highlight on NFL Network or NFL Films. I wish someone could find it. It was a thing of beauty.

In those days, we didn't have the isolation or a hell of a lot of instant replay, so you didn't get to catch the play of offensive linemen, at least i didn't. They also had 4 TV networks, mostly. I knew, of course, that Hanna was the best (reputation), but never really knew why.

Toward the end of his career, they had a special on him where they did isolate him on a number of plays. i didn't see the play I remember in that clip, but I'll never forget it. The RB was behind Hannah who had pulled and the defense was stringing it out. One defender was running toward the sideline and the contain guy was leaning back, as it looked like they might cut it between them.

I wondered which way Hannah would play it and who he would block, when he feinted slightly, then stuck out both elbows and pancaked them simultaneously, like a cartoon. The running back was so shocked, he almost tripped over his own feet, but recovered and trotted down the now open field, trying not to trip on the bodies. OK, now i understand.

i remember a play against the Radiers in 76 I believe (reg season) it was a sweep Hanah pancaked the OLB continued down the field, the DB sort of Turtled to avoid getting run over and Hannah just fell on him and buried him.

On Thanksgiving day they played in Dallas, R White was getting killed by Hannah they finally moved him to the other side, total domination of a HOF player by Hannah.

He is the greatest guard to ever play the game and to many who played against him, the greatest lineman. He was a true superstar.

Mikes Haynes from NFL greatest 100 ranked too low IMO never forgave the Sullivans for letting him and earlier Leon Gray go over $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News