PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Johnson - Bill Belichick interaction from 'A Football Life' series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great stuff. Interesting how JJ and Belichick are/were so different personality-wise (mainly with Johnson being a rah-rah extrovert type), yet share the traits that count the most in coaching in the NFL: off-the-charts intelligence, zero tolerance for B.S., and an ego-driven competitiveness that borders on maniacal. Both these guys are far better coaches than Parcells ever was imo--Tuna's ego always just there, and never really that justified.

I hope BB goes out on top when he does. I think Brady and some of the other guys "get" this, and that's why every year the NEP don't win the SB it's a huge disappointment. The Patriots should have been the favorites to win it all every single year since 2004 imo, so the term 'snakebitten' has started to come to mind too often.

It's going to feel very anti-climatic and disappointing if BB retires without another ring. He's come so close so many times since 2006 it has to really sting. That's a good thing though--feels like he and Brady will.not.stop. until those 4th and 5th Lombardis are in Foxboro.

Hopefully this doesn't come accross as making excuses, but it seems like there have been forces outside of the Pats working to keep the Pats from winning it all more often. It almost feels like the sort of underhandedness so prevalent in politics.

I will just cite the example of the 2007 Superbowl when the false report about the Pats having taped the Rams' walkthrough broke two days before the Pats were getting ready to try and make history by going undefeated.

In addition to the enormous pressure that the Pats had been under by staying undefeated following in the aftermath of Spygate and the subsequent "F U Tour", the Pats had to deal with this additional issue and even threats of subsequent congressional investigations.

It really seems that there were external forces at work to ensure that the Pats would not get the recognition that they had worked for.

After Spygate, it would have made some people look bad if the Pats, without cameras, and with intense scrutiny of their every move, and outright cheerleading against them by media, had gone on to go undefeated in such a dominating fashion.

Hopefully this doesn't come accross as making excuses, but it seems like there have been forces outside of the Pats working to keep the Pats from winning it all more often.

It almost feels like the sort of underhandedness so prevalent in politics.

I will just cite the example of the 2007 Superbowl when the false report about the Pats having taped the Rams' walkthrough broke two days before the Pats were getting ready to try and make history by going undefeated.

In addition to the enormous pressure that the Pats had been under by staying undefeated following in the aftermath of Spygate and the subsequent "F U Tour", the Pats had to deal with this additional issue and even threats of subsequent congressional investigations.

It really seems that there were external forces at work to ensure that the Pats would not get the recognition that they had worked for.

After Spygate, it would have made some people look bad if the Pats, without cameras, and with intense scrutiny of their every move, and outright cheerleading against them by media, had gone on to go undefeated in such a dominating fashion.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with this. :mad:

Time to indulge in some RAGE, just to burn it off for awhile..

1 ~ In 2005, no decent human being calls Ben Watson's astonishing Don Beebe impersonation ~ and Champ Bailey is no Leon Lett!! :eek: ~ anything but a TouchBack. Granted, that was a matter of interpretation, but...really?? And I remember thinking, even before that ~ though I can't remember specifics ~ that we were getting screwed by the Refs, that day. Did anyone else have that sense? :confused:

2 ~ In 2006, though, there was no question: The call on Ellis Hobbs in the AFC Championship Game was such an blatantly disgusting act of vile, reprehensible refereeing that they actually sent Hobbs a formal letter of Apology. That one enrages me to this very day, because I distinctly remember the scumbag in the booth stupidly explaining to the audience why it was correctly called, when every one else in the Galaxy ~ except him and the Refereeing Crew, evidently :rolleyes: ~ knew that it wasn't a penalty. That unspeakable act of blatant theft delivered Payton Manning the only Championship he's ever "won"...much to the joy and delight of most New York Based or Networked TeleVision Slugs, Roger Goodell, and everyone associated with and ~ I fear ~ influenced by these Vermin.

3 ~ 2007. I still say, to this day, that the excess of artificial Time Outs created by the multiple Commercial Breaks during Eli's Final Drive are the only things that made his success possible: He was rapidly running out of time, and I could see, instinctively, that he wasn't going to make it...until the Commercial Breaks started coming, giving him time to catch his breath and get his head together. I was nearly apoplectic with Rage, as the Patriot Hating Goodell & New York Based or Networked Network worked its bitter Magic against us, once again. I cannot prove it, of course, but there's no question that the Giants received an egregiously unfair advantage, one that I believe robbed us of a Championship and The Greatest Season of All Time. :mad:

Am I the only one who had this impression of the final two minutes, that night? And, yes: I'm aware that they often pigpile Commercials late in a Game, when they haven't managed them correctly...But it just seemed both excessive and incredibly unfair.

So, yeah: People are human, and there has always been a lot of Antipathy between us and New York. A lot of people are Petty, and a lot of people in New York are jealous of our success and bitter about it: It's obvious, virtually every time you listen to a game on TeleVision. Many people resent Success in general, perversely enough. Compound that basic albeit bizarre human trait with the natural regional jealousy and antipathy of a KnickerBocker ~ the correct term for a native of New York, if that interests ~ and add the tendency of most people to go along with the leanings of the majority or of their bosses. With most of Media centered in New York and Los Angeles ~ not exactly an haven of New EngLand Love!! ~ and you have a broad Network of bitter Haters who despise and resent us.

Most people, I'm afraid, are resentfull of success, eager to please those they work with and for, and easily influenced by the culture that surrounds them.

That makes for a pretty clearly Anti-Patriots theme permeating throughout the League's ancillary aspects. The question, in my mind, is this: Is this disgusting, despicable, and poisonous culture of Patriot Hating strong enough, ultimately, to influence the behavior of Referees?

1 ~ In 2005, we were poised to become the first team to ever ThreePeat. How sick with rage would all of those vermin have been for the rest of their miserable lives...had we been able to accomplish that?
spock.gif

2 ~ In 2006, it seemed every TeleVision Slug was desperate for their darling, Peyton Manning, to get his first ring. And the refereeing was so blatantly one sided that we actually got a Letter of Apology. Hmmmmm...
spock.gif

3 ~ In 2007, New York had a team in the Super Bowl, and New York controlled the Commercial Breaks. And of course: Had the Patriots finished The Ultimate #$%& You Tour by completing The Greatest Season In History, GOD only knows how many of those Vermin would've exploded with bitter bile and envy. Draw your own conclusions.
spock.gif

I don't presume to state that anything's conclusive.

But it is sure as Hell suspicious.

Sigh...

Nice to get that off my chest. Onward!! :D :rocker:

NFL Films and all their productions are dynamite. They are must views IMO.

In the past it has been mentioned that after every season BB would head down to Fla and discuss things with Jimmy Johnson.. BB has a lot of connections with guys like this, he was in the Pebble Beach Pro Am partnered with Nick Saban, is friendly with Tony LaRussa... been to functions where Jim Brown has described him as a great friend..

His grumpy personna is exclusive to the press and their idiotic questions..

The current polite way of saying that is special questions.

lol, Jimmy is wasted trying to discuss his drafting philosophy. BB is all "yup" "yeah"

lol, Jimmy is wasted trying to discuss his drafting philosophy. BB is all "yup" "yeah"

Jimmy has retired, you think Bill would openly disclose such things on camera? Have you seen how the guy handles the media? :D

Jimmy has retired, you think Bill would openly disclose such things on camera? Have you seen how the guy handles the media? :D

Disclose what on camera? I'm just saying, it looks like JJ was pretty drunk on his boat and spouting some truths to BB, who was like, "yup," "ok"

BB does the classic scratch of the back of head trying to stop the convo, lol, but Jimmy Johnson won't shut up, he's really drunk.

No secrets among them. Just fishing and drinking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back