PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy Johnson - Bill Belichick interaction from 'A Football Life' series

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDot

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Last night A Football Life was on Jimmy Johnson. And of course Belichick popped up on Jimmy's boat.

It is a short cameo, but what I found interesting was the two talking about players to draft, and players to trade for.

Found the clip today...

'A Football Life': Building through the draft - NFL Videos

JJ - Hit me on the head with hammer the next time I take a dumb guy
BB- You taught me that well you cant fix that

----

Haha BB cooler on the boat :D

----

the "Football Life" series is awesome and this was one of its better episodes so far and not because of the BB cameo. Just a really great look into the life of a man who has had success at all levels in football as a college player, college coach, NFL coach, and an analyst too.

Last edited:
I'll always like JJ because of how he handled Spygate. While all of the other coaches were trying to weasel their way out of admitting that everyone does the same exact thing, Johnson was 100% forthcoming. Basically said "everyone does it. I did it and everyone else that I knew did it". Good dude.

Honestly Football Life is must see tv for me. Haven't caught one that I haven't liked.

Just saw Chris Spielman last week who was one of my favorite football players of all time. Perseverance at life and dedication to family and work. Couple of tears leaked out.

Personally, I'd like to pre-order my BB tell all book right now. I'm willing to wait the 10 plus years for it to come out.

In the past it has been mentioned that after every season BB would head down to Fla and discuss things with Jimmy Johnson.. BB has a lot of connections with guys like this, he was in the Pebble Beach Pro Am partnered with Nick Saban, is friendly with Tony LaRussa... been to functions where Jim Brown has described him as a great friend..

His grumpy personna is exclusive to the press and their idiotic questions..

Belichick needs to pull his shorts up some more.... :D

In the past it has been mentioned that after every season BB would head down to Fla and discuss things with Jimmy Johnson.. BB has a lot of connections with guys like this, he was in the Pebble Beach Pro Am partnered with Nick Saban, is friendly with Tony LaRussa... been to functions where Jim Brown has described him as a great friend..

Yup BB has connection all over. But the most out of left field friend of BB I have seen to date, is Charles Barkley.

But but certain mediots really wanted to know where Bill keeps his 5 rings!! :rolleyes:

Secret life as a cat burgler maybe?

Yup BB has connection all over. But the most out of left field friend of BB I have seen to date, is Charles Barkley.

BB has an incredibly eclectic group of friends; Charles Barkley, James Brown, Bill Russell, Jon Bon Jovi, Lenny Clarke, Denis Leary, Tony LaRussa, not to mention all his football coaching friends.

You can judge a man by the company he keeps and I think in BB's case it certainly speaks to him having a truly dynamic personality behind the facade we see in the media.

Great stuff. Interesting how JJ and Belichick are/were so different personality-wise (mainly with Johnson being a rah-rah extrovert type), yet share the traits that count the most in coaching in the NFL: off-the-charts intelligence, zero tolerance for B.S., and an ego-driven competitiveness that borders on maniacal. Both these guys are far better coaches than Parcells ever was imo--Tuna's ego always just there, and never really that justified.

I hope BB goes out on top when he does. I think Brady and some of the other guys "get" this, and that's why every year the NEP don't win the SB it's a huge disappointment. The Patriots should have been the favorites to win it all every single year since 2004 imo, so the term 'snakebitten' has started to come to mind too often.

It's going to feel very anti-climatic and disappointing if BB retires without another ring. He's come so close so many times since 2006 it has to really sting. That's a good thing though--feels like he and Brady will.not.stop. until those 4th and 5th Lombardis are in Foxboro.

Great stuff. Interesting how JJ and Belichick are/were so different personality-wise (mainly with Johnson being a rah-rah extrovert type), yet share the traits that count the most in coaching in the NFL: off-the-charts intelligence, zero tolerance for B.S., and an ego-driven competitiveness that borders on maniacal. Both these guys are far better coaches than Parcells ever was imo--Tuna's ego always just there, and never really that justified.

I hope BB goes out on top when he does. I think Brady and some of the other guys "get" this, and that's why every year the NEP don't win the SB it's a huge disappointment. The Patriots should have been the favorites to win it all every single year since 2004 imo, so the term 'snakebitten' has started to come to mind too often.

It's going to feel very anti-climatic and disappointing if BB retires without another ring. He's come so close so many times since 2006 it has to really sting. That's a good thing though--feels like he and Brady will.not.stop. until those 4th and 5th Lombardis are in Foxboro.

OK let me say this first he has to get 4 before he thinks about it but once he gets 4 or even 5 I hope he sticks it out until he has pulled everything he can out of that current group before hanging them up. One thing that stood out in yesterdays show was how Irving and Aikman felt that they could have had 4 or 5 of their own had JJ stuck around and I dont want to be saying what could have been when he does walk.

The team that won our 3 out of 4 is gone all but one or two guys and this is a new group and it would feel much better if we knew he gave this new group every year he can to make sure he gets every ounce out of them if he walks once this group starts to fade before having to rebuild again then so be it. problem here is he rebuilds so fast he may never have a clear window to walk away without leaving us wondering.

I don't think there is a Patriot fan, who wouldn't like to spend an hour with BB. I'd kill for an opportunity like that. He just seems like such an amazing person. I have no problem admitting my man crush for BB. He's a football god as far as I'm concerned. If you haven't had a chance to watch- A football life: Cleveland 94, do yourself a favor and watch it (if you're a BB fan), its amazing how many great football minds worked FOR Belichick in Cleveland, and to hear them still talk about him even today, it's a true telltale story of his greatness.

Going back on topic, I always hated JJ, but, I remember the clip on tv when he pretty much defended BB after spy gate saying he did the same thing, and knew dozens of other coaches did too. I liked him from that point on. His "A football life" was quite interesting too. It's one of the few shows The NFLN gets right.

OK let me say this first he has to get 4 before he thinks about it but once he gets 4 or even 5 I hope he sticks it out until he has pulled everything he can out of that current group before hanging them up. One thing that stood out in yesterdays show was how Irving and Aikman felt that they could have had 4 or 5 of their own had JJ stuck around and I dont want to be saying what could have been when he does walk.

The team that won our 3 out of 4 is gone all but one or two guys and this is a new group and it would feel much better if we knew he gave this new group every year he can to make sure he gets every ounce out of them if he walks once this group starts to fade before having to rebuild again then so be it. problem here is he rebuilds so fast he may never have a clear window to walk away without leaving us wondering.

I lived in Dallas during his dynasty and that team could have been the first to win 3 SuperBowls in a row. Then their egomaniac owner, in a bar says anyone of 50 coaches could win with his team. The next year they lost (without Johnson).

If you haven't had a chance to watch- A football life: Cleveland 94, do yourself a favor and watch it (if you're a BB fan),

I don't get the NFL channel. Is there any other place to watch this on the web?

Thanks,

TBP

Honestly Football Life is must see tv for me. Haven't caught one that I haven't liked.

Just saw Chris Spielman last week who was one of my favorite football players of all time. Perseverance at life and dedication to family and work. Couple of tears leaked out.

I met Chris Spielman once. Very nice guy. Down to Earth. That episode made my eyes watery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes