PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets got back in the game after defense got aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just a observation but it seems that after the Pats started blitzing the Jets got some big plays. I love to see the defense bring it but today it backfired.

I think it was more like the Jets OL was doing a better job of containing our linemen from getting to Pennington. As soon as Chad had just a tiny amount more time, he was able to throw decent balls to his receivers, two of which should never have been TD's. Poor tackling was the biggest problem and I think the pats play yesterday does expose a weakness of the team once again. If our front seven do not get to the QB quickly, I don't think our secondary can handle that all day. I for one have never been as confident about our secondary as many here in this board. I will not mention his name, but I did want to sign him when he was a free agent some weeks ago... :D

perhaps,but as another poster (Flutie2phelan) points out ,both of the long TD passes by the Jets were kind of unusual,Cotchery(sp?) did a great job to get in the end zone after being hit hard by two defenders,and because he landed on one he was not ruled down,and L.Coles deked a few guys out of their jocks (including RH) to get in on his TD.The secondary was in the right place on both plays,I give the Jets players credit for great execution.They couldnt run at all.

Additionally, whenever our run defense is as good as it was yesterday, the secondary are going to get much more thoroughly tested with more passes than rushes.

The problem (and I use the word lightly here) is that occasional play where we don't get pressure, get a good blitz pickup and the quarterback can step up and pick a spot with man coverage. But even Ty Law'd struggle to defend those passes.

If anything, I'd like to see a little less of the house blitz on 3rd down, and maybe a little more of keeping Bruschi/Seau or even Colvin backing up off the D-line in coverage over the middle to stop those crossing routes that are so good for the catch and run (as Coles showed, and our own David Thomas).

I don't think there was a big difference except for the big plays due to missed tackles. Other than that both halves featured lots of 3rd down conversions for the jesters after being largely stuffed on first and second.

I was more disappointed with the tackling, especially in the secondary. Definitely got sloppy.

I saw three stoopid causal factors of the letdown....

Stoopid tackling in the secondary, stoopid play calling( the intercepted bomb on 3rd and short with the running game stoopidly steamrollering), and stoopid penalties.

End the silly stoopidness and team is pretty good.

Julius said:
Just a observation but it seems that after the Pats started blitzing the Jets got some big plays. I love to see the defense bring it but today it backfired.

Isn't it kind of ironic that one of the complaints about Mangini's last year with us was "his" defense through half the year not being aggressive enough to the point that BB had to get involved and "loose the hounds" and here we are now complaining about being too aggressive when playing against Mangini?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
MDPATSFAN said:
stoopid play calling( the intercepted bomb on 3rd and short with the running game stoopidly steamrollering)

Yeah, I didn't understand this play call at all. The way Brady threw it, it looked like he was almost hoping the receiver would make some kind of Antonio Gates like Basketball play to get up there and out jump the defenders. In addition to being a strange play call, it seemed like a really bad decision by Brady th throw the ball up like that. It was "Hail Mary" like in my opinion.

I know punting the ball would have likely put the ball in the vicinity of where the ball was intercepted, but why take a chance like that? At least with a punt return, everyone is organized to stop the return man. On an interception like that, it would have been much more difficult had the jet DB been able to intercept it cleanly and attempt to return it because so many players would not have been in the best position to stop a return like that.

Julius said:
I think you're making a general statement based on the one play they brought the house and Coles broke a ton of tackles.

You need to remember the Pats had two turnovers in the second half. Brady's pass to Gabriel resulting in an int and Brad fumbles when the JEts blitzed two on his blind side and Faulk picked the inside risher and the outside went free. That was a Pittsburg kind of blitz overloading one side.

Had those turnovers not happened and tackling had been better the game would not have been so close.

Julius said:
I think you're making a general statement based on the one play they brought the house and Coles broke a ton of tackles.

You need to remember the Pats had two turnovers in the second half. Brady's pass to Gabriel resulting in an int and Brad fumbles when the JEts blitzed two on his blind side and Faulk picked the inside risher and the outside went free. That was a Pittsburg kind of blitz overloading one side.

Had those turnovers not happened and tackling had been better the game would not have been so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft