PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo compared to former Broncos LB Al Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I don't know how they get this comparison per say but on Sirius NFL radio's Movin the Chains hours, Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan have compared Mayo repeatedly as an Al Wilson clone.

Do you think that comparison is acceptible or realistic for a guy who has yet to play a single down at ILB compared to a long time veteran player?

I don't think a comparison is right at this point or fair to either player - If Jerod plays anything like Wilson in his earlier years then this will have been the best 1st round draft pick since Seymour.

I think they were referring to the way he played in college. If you've ever watched Tennessee games (I live in SEC country so I see a few of them), you'll see he does play like Al Wilson. How that will translate to the NFL, nobody knows.

if he plays anywhere near as well as al did, you've got someone who was very worthy of 10th pick overall

I don't know how they get this comparison per say but on Sirius NFL radio's Movin the Chains hours, Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan have compared Mayo repeatedly as an Al Wilson clone.

Do you think that comparison is acceptible or realistic for a guy who has yet to play a single down at ILB compared to a long time veteran player?

I don't think a comparison is right at this point or fair to either player - If Jerod plays anything like Wilson in his earlier years then this will have been the best 1st round draft pick since Seymour.

I believe it's mostly because Wilson also played at Tennessee. I saw them interview him and the comparison is about two top linebackers from Tennessee.

If it's more than that, I'm unaware.

I wouldn't get too caught up in it. Most sports comparisons by media people are lazy - talented Tennessee LB? Let's compare to talented former Tennessee LB.

I believe Jarod was asked about this at his press conference and quickly dismissed the idea.

Isn't Wilson much smaller than Mayo? Mayo has speed similar to a younger Al Wilson, but they play totally different systems.

I think a lot of this could also be a result of this type of thinking and projection by pundits like Mel Kiper Jr:

Did Patriots take Mayo too high?

No, Denver was close behind and liked Mayo

Denver used to have Al Wilson

Mayo the next Al Wilson

Not seeing the similarities really. Wilson was much lighter MLB in a 4-3, Mayo is a heavier (probably) ILB in a 3-4.

Mayo is a bigger player than Wilson, who's about 5'11". I have also heard Mayo compared to a young Junior Seau. That's probably a bit much. Wilson used to be fast as hell, but wasn't the lights-out hitter that Mayo is, who possesses excellent speed.

I envision Mayo being playing between what Al Wilson and Junior Seau used to be. And that makes him certainly no reach at the tenth spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back