PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots and Jerod Mayo Have Agreed to a Restructured Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo already punched his ticket in to the Patriots hall of fame, he can stop trying to convince us;)

A source tells me that the Pats haven't had many draft talks w/ other teams. and that he expects that to increase a bit next week, mostly during the actual draft.

Ok fine. ;)
New England Patriots @Patriots · 4m4 minutes ago
Caserio says Pats haven't had many draft talks w/ other teams. Expects that to increase a bit next week, but mostly during the actual draft.
Do the Patriots have a history of moving around on Draft Day? :confused:
:)

The Patriots have really cleaned up the salary cap.
Wilfork's huge contract eliminated, sadly.
Amendola restructured with savings.
Mayo restructured with savings.

It is hard to point to any really overpaid players.
McCourty at $6mm? That's what it cost to retain him.
Cannon at $2.6mm for a back-up tackle? Not crippling.
Arrington at $4mm? He might have to start.
Logan Mankins & Revis' dead cap space finished this year.

The Patriots have really cleaned up the salary cap.
Wilfork's huge contract eliminated, sadly.
Amendola restructured with savings.
Mayo restructured with savings.

It is hard to point to any really overpaid players.
McCourty at $6mm? That's what it cost to retain him.
Cannon at $2.6mm for a back-up tackle? Not crippling.
Arrington at $4mm? He might have to start.
Logan Mankins & Revis' dead cap space finished this year.
Don't forget that $7.5 million dead money anchor AH hung on the team last year. Hopefully after the Revis and Mankins dead money hits this year we can go into next season without a any more major handcuffs.

Having all the leverage? In what way? Coming off two straight injury curtailed seasons doesn't exactly spell leverage to me, especially when Collins and Hightower played so well in his absence.

Having the ability to not be cut because his contract was fully guarenteed for injury. Mayo was going to be a 10 mil cap hit the entire season if he didn't pass a physical.

Mixed. Maybe it motivates clubs to cut vets but it also gets an extra new player drafted higher and paid more than he woulda been as a UDFA since the club gets > 7 picks that are paid higher than UDFAs.

Ya but I thought cutting guys doesn't equal into the equation, that it is only letting Free Agents hit the market and sign elsewhere that does. The moment the NFLPA complains about guys getting to hit the market is the moment they stop being taking seriously.

So I would think the NFLPA would be completely against eliminating comp picks because it gets more guys drafted.

A source tells me that the Pats haven't had many draft talks w/ other teams. and that he expects that to increase a bit next week, mostly during the actual draft.

Ok fine. ;)
New England Patriots @Patriots · 4m4 minutes ago
Caserio says Pats haven't had many draft talks w/ other teams. Expects that to increase a bit next week, but mostly during the actual draft.

Ah, so you're the SharksOfVegas guy! :)

The Pats don't tend to do moves like this unless there is a corresponding move that cost money coming down the pipeline.

Maybe something will happen on draft day as a lot of you are already thinking.

I doubt they would ask him to do this then just sit on it. Not how they work.

I'd like to think they have something in the works but it's possible after being a top salary on the team for 2 years while rehabbing from 2 serious injuries, they wanted to adjust his contract to something more reasonable.

Even if they sit on it now, they can carry it to next year and use it to sign Solder, etc

Having the ability to not be cut because his contract was fully guarenteed for injury. Mayo was going to be a 10 mil cap hit the entire season if he didn't pass a physical.
Except he must have passed his physical or they couldn't have restructered. At least that's my understanding.

Question......what happens to the $3.6 million in signing bonus for 2015 and the $2.4M for 2016. This might not be as much a "break" as people think.

Is it really......$4.5M in salary......$1.5M in incentives.......plus $3.6M prorated signing bonus for a total cap hit of $9.6M?

After all, the $4.5M was guaranteed anyways, right? The $3.6M cant go anywhere, right?

My guesttimate range of Mayo's cap savings goes from minimum of $1.75m to a max of 4,607,500.

Question......what happens to the $3.6 million in signing bonus for 2015 and the $2.4M for 2016. This might not be as much a "break" as people think.

Is it really......$4.5M in salary......$1.5M in incentives.......plus $3.6M prorated signing bonus for a total cap hit of $9.6M?

After all, the $4.5M was guaranteed anyways, right? The $3.6M cant go anywhere, right?
Where are you seeing those bonus numbers? I haven't seen them reported anywhere.

Just stay healthy Jerod !!
Hes do for a healthy year. so happy hes not going anywhere. they won a superbowl without him. they will be that much better with him on the field and healthy.

My guesttimate range of Mayo's cap savings goes from minimum of $1.75m to a max of 4,607,500.

Can you expound on that? I think I know where you might be getting those numbers but I'd like to see your thinking. I am right about the $3.6M signing bonus though, right?

Last edited:
As an aside, does this mean he's passed his physical?
Someone gets the best news of it all. He must have passed his physical because he couldn't have re worked a contract without one.

This would seem to mean that Mayo should be fully ready to do everything possible during the OTA's and that will be big for him. This is going to be a very daunting OTA and TC for the defense in general, but for the LB's especially. Getting Mayo back as early as possible will go a long way toward making Hightower's recovery easier to deal with

As to the deal, I'll wait on Miguel for the details, but I doubt it will surprise us. It will be like most Vet re-deals. It will save the Pats 1-3MM in immediate cap space, and if the player returns to full productivity, he can get "most" of his money back

Maximum of $4,607,500 comes from
1.) eliminating $250,000 workout bonus
2.) Also eliminating $187,500 46-man roster bonus.
3.) Lowering salary from $6.25 million to $870,000.
4.) Giving Mayo a signing bonus of $3,630,000. 2015 cap hit of $1,210,000.

New cap number would consist of
$870,000 salary (fully guaranteed)
$3,600,000 old signing bonus proration
$1,210,000 new signing bonus proration
==========
$5,680,000

Minimum of $1,750,000 comes from
1.) Lowering salary from $6.25 million to $4,500,000.

$4,500,000 salary (fully guaranteed)
$250,000 workout bonus
$187,500 46-man active roster bonus
==========
$8,537,500

Minimum of $1,750,000 comes from
1.) Lowering salary from $6.25 million to $4,500,000.

$4,500,000 salary (fully guaranteed)
$250,000 workout bonus
$187,500 46-man active roster bonus
==========
$8,537,500

They mentioned $4.5M could become $6M with incentives. So could it be:

$4.5M salary (fully guaranteed)
$3.6M old signing bonus
$1.5M incentives

==================