PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jastremski and McNally will testify at Brady appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
the NFL has no subpoena powers so if Jastremeski and McNally are going to testify they are being brought there by Brady to assist in his defense. So it is more probable than not (pun intended) that they are going to say that Brady never instructed them to do anything.

Unless its something negotiated where they are penalized for non-full compliance and are exonerated on the actual act. That would be one way they could both save some face.

That effectively rules out any defamation suit

Unfortunately I believe there is, the Patriots are going to present their version of the facts that even true at this point it's still their version to be confronted with Wells ridiculous version.

You can't have a guilty party without a crime.

No. If the sentence is reduced and they accept it without going to court, they admit guilt.

Agree. If Rodger Dodger doesn't completely remove all penalties they go to court.
No in between now.
He may reduce the penalties but if he does they'll say thank you, see you court.

How? They have it in writing that they offered the Deflator up, but only if Wells could supply a reason, which he refused to do. They also offered to present questions to the Deflator and offered a different means than face to face. They offered face to face if Wells could show why he needed to do it, with respect to his initial set of rules that said he would only need to interview anyone more than once if new information was presented. In fact, he was interviewed for 7 hours, and it ended with Wells saying 'we have no more questions' and not only was there no new information, which is proven by the fact that the Pats asked if there was new information and wells gave them none.
The team is on extremely solid ground here.

They didn't present him for a 5th time in person as demanded.

Goodell can blame the Patriots for that--which he already has.

I think everyone here is completely missing the point of have McNally and Jermanenaksnk... whatever his name is there. This is a free discovery for the NFL of what they would say prior to a trial. This is going to court, the suspensions, draft picks, everything are not going to be overturned. Goodell has proven one thing that he is consistent in his stupidity. This will go to trial and the league office wants to be prepared for what everyone is going to say when they get there.

Right now, I don't know if it is Goodell's smartest play is to admit Wells' report is flawed. That ship has sailed. He would be better off getting smacked down in court and try to spin it as he did his best to punish the Patriots and Brady got off on a technicality.

For him to admit that the Wells report is wrong now will only turn people against him. It won't win back Kraft. It would be a huge black mark for him and the League.

He doesn't have to say it's wrong. He just has to say that he was able to get information that Wells did not have access to (because the big bad Patriots denied unfettered access to him). I can envision him tying to split the difference and exonerate Brady (which he knows will ultimately happen anyway) from actual wrongdoing, while upholding the penalty to the Pats for "impeding" the investigations and not being cooperative. He'll probably reduce Brady to 1 game for being uncooperative and not handing over his phone or some crap like that.

That would "somewhat" placate the masses that want to see the Patriots hang and will rid him of him most problematic issue, which is the $5 million albatross that is hanging around his neck. At this point the only thing that has a possiblity of being upheld in court is the "pats didn't cooperate" meme.

No team will hire them? What do you think? either one of them will relocate to be a ball boy/equipment guy with another team? some career....
Exactly and they don't have to testify if they don't want to either. It will cost them their jobs with the Patriots, but who knows? Maybe their sick of all the BS up to this point.

Never assume Goodell is out to do the right thing. He is out to screw over the Patriots. That he nominated himself to hear the appeal is only evidence of this: he doesn't care that there is an obvious conflict of interest: he is too dumb and drunk with power to care. I hate that bastard.

I am sorry but you are being naive.
Can we have a conversation once without you making it personal?

If Goodell said the Wells report is crap outright or by his actions, people would just argue he is in the bag for Kraft.
Goodell has much more to worry about than this.
Losing in court will be costlier than a perception.
Hell, even ESPN is now saying they don't think the Wells report is solid, so there will be as much support as criticism.

Most of this country feels that if arbitrator who hears this case (Goodell or someone else) is truly fair, he/she would uphold the decision.
I wouldn't be so sure. It has moved to 50/50 with the Patriots response, and if Goodell were to publicly acknowledge that the Wells report is weak and the Goldberg response invalidates it, most would feel he did the fair thing.

They didn't present him for a 5th time in person as demanded.

Goodell can blame the Patriots for that--which he already has.

And the Patriots have now presented FACTS that Wells withheld.
The emails back and forth show the Patriots did cooperate and they only withheld the 5th interview because they asked Wells, based upon his parameters, what the reason for the request was and he refused to answer.

The only question Goodell wants to ask McNalley and Jastremski:

"Will you sign this agreement to not file your defamation lawsuits against the NFL?"

the NFL has no subpoena powers so if Jastremeski and McNally are going to testify they are being brought there by Brady to assist in his defense. So it is more probable than not (pun intended) that they are going to say that Brady never instructed them to do anything.

Actually........ I beleive that is this true? Perhaps the report that the NFL is "calling" them is false. Perhaps it's Brady that is introducing them. If so? That is very good news.

Can we have a conversation once without you making it personal?

Goodell has much more to worry about than this.
Losing in court will be costlier than a perception.
Hell, even ESPN is now saying they don't think the Wells report is solid, so there will be as much support as criticism.

I wouldn't be so sure. It has moved to 50/50 with the Patriots response, and if Goodell were to publicly acknowledge that the Wells report is weak and the Goldberg response invalidates it, most would feel he did the fair thing.

I didn't make it person. I think you are being naive.

I think losing in court would be far better than admitting the Wells report is flawed. Can you see how he would be killed for wasting four months, millions of dollars, allowing both Brady and the Pats to be punished and shamed in the media, and then say "After carefully reviewing the evidence and Mr. Brady's response, I find the Wells report flawed and biased"? It would end his reign as Commissioner. No way he could survive that.

Never assume Goodell is out to do the right thing. He is out to screw over the Patriots. That he nominated himself to hear the appeal is only evidence of this: he doesn't care that there is an obvious conflict of interest: he is too dumb and drunk with power to care. I hate that bastard.
Oh no doubt his motives are selfish, but I believe he recognizes how bad it will be for him if this goes to court. The best means of self-preservation is to end it now, and the only way to end it now is to denounce the Wells report and exonerate the Patriots.

There is a very valid position to be taken that he trusted Wells and relied upon the assumptions and conclusions in his report, rather than drawing his own (clearly he charged Wells with determining guilt) but when held up to scrutiny the Wells report is tragically flawed.

Isn't Kessler just going to argue that suspending someone for not handing over a personal communications device is effectively against the CBA if Goodell tries upholding non-compliance?

Last edited:
I am wondering about something. If it was so important to discuss in more detail the texts between McNally and Jastremski why didn't Wells ask to interview Jastremski again? Why only McNally on this topic?

I didn't make it person. I think you are being naive.
That is where you make it personal. How about you just state your views and I state mine and drop the personal analysis, as you know that always leads to you taking it too far in that direction.
I care about your opinion about the issue, but do not care about your opinion of me.
If you want to continue on that level, just say, and I'll stop responding. Fair enough?

I think losing in court would be far better than admitting the Wells report is flawed. Can you see how he would be killed for wasting four months, millions of dollars, allowing both Brady and the Pats to be punished and shamed in the media, and then say "After carefully reviewing the evidence and Mr. Brady's response, I find the Wells report flawed and biased"? It would end his reign as Commissioner. No way he could survive that.
Totally disagree. It's not his responsibility that Wells acted competently or that he took 4 months. It IS his responsibility to see both sides and be the judge. You seem to think it would be better for him to accept the conclusion that so obviously is wrong, which makes no sense to me.
Have you considered the fallout of going to court and having the entire Personal conduct policy ruled illegal? Having the structure of the penalty system ruled illegal? Losing a large amount of his power? Having the CBA brought into question? Having the anti-trust exemption challenged?

If Kessler gets Goodell in court, this will be about more than Tom Brady's suspension.

There is also the issue of defamation of character after the judge laughs Goodell out of court on the suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back