PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jakobi Meyers has thrown for a TD but has yet to catch one in the NFL

karguy85

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I thought that was an interesting statistic, especially given that he had a pretty good year (compared to the rest of the offense). Do you think he can be a 1k a year receiver with a competent passer?

If he wasn't riding the bench in the early games, he would have hit 1000 without a competent passer.
If Harry wasn't stealing snaps early in the year he would've had a shot at 1000. This isn't always the meritocracy it is made out to be.

what's the record for most yards or receptions by a WR without a TD to start their NFL career?

If Harry wasn't stealing snaps early in the year he would've had a shot at 1000. This isn't always the meritocracy it is made out to be.
While I agree Meyers should have been playing over Harry from the start, one could make a meritocratic argument for having started Harry. He showed a lot of potential in college, which counts as merit. It's not like he started because he was personal friends or business partners with the coach.

It's just that Meyers' merit was misjudged at first.

While I agree Meyers should have been playing over Harry from the start, one could make a meritocratic argument for having started Harry. He showed a lot of potential in college, which counts as merit. It's not like he started because he was personal friends or business partners with the coach.

It's just that Meyers' merit was misjudged at first.
Harry started because of where he was drafted. He didn't show anything last year and there wasn't a lot of glowing reviews in training camp this year. I highly doubt he was outperforming Meyers in practice either since he cant really play. Harry had to prove again he can't play while Meyers had to prove he could.

I think he's a WR3 with WR2 potential. Was really impressed with his route running this year.
If other concerning spots on the roster were addressed, you could win plenty of games with Meyers as your #2. It'd be ideal if he was #3 though, obv...

If you have a competent quarterback, tight end and #1 receiver, I think you can win a lot of games with Meyers as your #2 wide out.

I think he’s a good 2, odd he hasn’t caught a touchdown yet.

I'd love for him to work with Edelman this offseason on how to catch the ball in stride/gain extra yards after catch. One thing that Jules (and Welker) has a great sense for is how to catch the ball with momentum and squeeze out an extra 2-3 yards. Meyers is bigger, so obviously its different. He tries this "step back" move every time, sometimes he just needs to take two steps and dive. I think this would make him and even more reliable target for whoever is our next QB. If his route goes right to the sticks, he needs to be able to get an extra 1-2 yards rather than get tackled at the catch.

He is very Troy Brown-esque in the sense that he isn't the biggest (although he is taller than Troy), fastest, quickest, or strongest guy - but he is smart and just finds his way open

729 yards despite barely playing the first 4 games. Another year in the offense and hopefully a better qb he can absolutely be a solid #2 here.

Well, considering the team only threw 12 touchdown passes, and he threw two of those, I do not think it’s THAT weird that he did not catch a TD.

I thought that was an interesting statistic, especially given that he had a pretty good year (compared to the rest of the offense). Do you think he can be a 1k a year receiver with a competent passer?

He is already a 1100 yard receiver if he played all season. He didn't play till Oct 25th and still put up 750 yards.... being double teamed because nobody else was good plus with a 2500 yard passer QB.

Myers should be very happy with his performance this season , a pity he never got his touchdown

He only played 11 games where he had over 11% of the snaps (including 2 inactive games). That's 1050yds (86recs) if he had the same production for 16 games. That doesn't include the numerous times he was wide open but didn't get the throw, missed targets, and throws that were caught but off target so no chance of YAC.

He caught a 2 pt conversion (Bills) so he can certainly make a catch in the end zone. He was also wiiiiide the f open in the Ravens game when Cam bounced it to him.

If the coaching staff want to get him in the EZ, they should google "Keenan Allen touchdown receptions." I think I actually did that earlier this year when I figured out he's basically Keenan Allen when I was looking for comparable successful 40 time WRs (which is why I found the Feeley/Meyers interview funny).

Last edited:
Meyers should've taught Cam how to throw the football with a nice touch/arc on it so Cam could've done something different than throw line drives into the DL's hands.

Meyers is a keeper and part of the solution.

Byrd is not shabby either. I assume Moncrief is not well versed with the playbook and therefore didnt see many snaps at WR.

The Patriots won Super Bowls with Troy Brown, Deon Branch and David Givens.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back