PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jags will play ball control, keep Pats off fthe field

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, we already saw last year.

i dont remember Del Rio panicking when Indy jumped out to a early 14-0 lead in Indy the last time the Jags played there...as far as Garrard not throwing alot, he throws the same number of passes per game as Big Ben and nobody calls him a "game manager"...this weekend you'll see for yourselves

I've been pointing out on this board for a while that while I think Ben is a good quarterback, he isn't asked to carry his team. After his performance last week, I think we see why, he can slip into some bad habits, holding the ball too long, carrying it loose in the pocket.

Having said that, I think he's a lot better than Garrard. Garrard doesn't scare me.

the colts won...they were the better team, my point was that the Jags didnt panic and throw away their game plan just because the twinks jumped on them early
Meanwhile, the Jaguars completely lost their heads with a stupid personal foul penalty in the redzone.

I don't think the 1990 Super Bowl has any relevance to this game whatsoever.

Beyond that I don't think the Jaguars are going to surprise anyone by running the ball as they have a pretty good running back and don't need to review a Super Bowl from 18 years ago to prompt them to use him.

Whether its on the ground or in the air, the Jags will, like every other team we've played, do everything they can to sustain long and productive drives to keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

Barring turnovers each team generally gets the ball an equal number of times so it comes down to whether the Pats Defense holds the Jags and whether Brady can be productive with his opportunities.

If we hold them and put TDs on the board, the Jags will have no choice but to abandon a ball control, eat up the clock strategy if they find themselves a few touchdowns behind.

As much as everyone talks about pre-game strategy games are won or lost in the adjustments - and its a very different ballgame when teams are down by 3 TDs as opposed to keeping it close.

Very good post. This game is very simple: stop the other team. "Keeping the other team off the field" is a cliche.

he wouldnt scare me either, but he is capable of throwing the ball if the Pats put 8 or 9 in the box like i'm guessing they will...
in fact i imagine the Jags will come out throwing like they did against the Twinks on MNF...
Just keep throwing to Asante Samuel's side of the field and Asante Samuel will have at least the same amount of interceptions for touchdowns as the entire Jaguars offense will for the entire game.

i'm not predicting we win, in fact i'm 90% sure we wont, but I just dont see it being the cakewalk most people are predicting

I think alot of people, including me, are expecting a tough game!

does samuel play on one side only or does he usually mirror the other teams best WR...if he mirrors, then boy what a waste of talent because we dont even have a reciever that would be considered a 2
The New England Patriots do not flop their cornerbacks.

Weren't the Patriots leading the league for fewest possessions in the NFL? They have been playing ball control all year. The Patriots haven't been winning based on a quick strike offense that scores a ton by increasing the number of possessions like most high-scoring teams; they simply have been scoring on a ridiculously high percentage of their drives.

that was a team and coach that were outclassed...del rio did a horrible coaching job and we all know about leftwich...they came into that game 12-4 on a cupcake schedule...they were totally outclassed in 2005...no doubt about it
A 12-4 team losing to a 10-6 team. Del Rio did a horrible coaching job. So what has changed since the Patriots are a better team in 2007 while the Jaguars are a worse team in 2007?

thats your opinion...he is a finalist for coach of the year...must be hell of a coach to have a team in the divisional round with ZERO pro bowlers selected
The playoffs are a whole different animal when it comes to coaching.

BB is a good coach...not the best, but he's good...Brady is what make the Patriots special, not BB ...he was 5-13 and on his way to getting fired before Brady...just saying
Who drafted Brady? Hint ... it wasn't Pete Carroll!

BB is a good coach...not the best, but he's good...Brady is what make the Patriots special, not BB ...he was 5-13 and on his way to getting fired before Brady...just saying
Where do people find such BS?

Barring turnovers each team generally gets the ball an equal number of times so it comes down to whether the Pats Defense holds the Jags and whether Brady can be productive with his opportunities.

If we hold them and put TDs on the board, the Jags will have no choice but to abandon a ball control, eat up the clock strategy if they find themselves a few touchdowns behind.

As much as everyone talks about pre-game strategy games are won or lost in the adjustments - and its a very different ballgame when teams are down by 3 TDs as opposed to keeping it close.

:agree:

Well put. However, there is one wrinkle. Assuming no turnovers, and each team gets the ball the same number of times, time of posession becomes very important, as it strongly influences whether a team will score as the quarters drag on. If Jax can sustain long drives, tiring out our down linemen and backs, then the probability that they score increases. Thank goodness Seau and Co have two weeks rest.

Hence, the best strategy is to get a big lead early. Then wait for Gerrard to make mistakes. That is easy to say. Let's hope the weather is in our favor, and that the bye weeks helps pull them through to a more normal team like the Colts. :)

i dont remember Del Rio panicking when Indy jumped out to a early 14-0 lead in Indy the last time the Jags played there...as far as Garrard not throwing alot, he throws the same number of passes per game as Big Ben and nobody calls him a "game manager"...this weekend you'll see for yourselves

Yup, you guys came back late in the game but came up short. Not a very good example.

Many people have called Ben a game manager especially in 2004. ;)

was his record 5-13?...

The Pats were in a horrible cap situation when BB took over. He had one losing season and then won a SB while turning the cap situation around in less than 3 seasons. Then of course he went on to win the next two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes