PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jabaal Sheard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's how I see it right now: if you're looking for an edge rusher who is a senior, team captain, extremely productive in a BCS conference, and has the frame and athleticism of a Pats-style OLB, you have exactly 3 options in this draft: Von Miller, Ryan Kerrigan, and Sheard.

Granted, you might not be looking for every one of those qualities, but they're Belichick's MO high in the draft.

Can I add some food for thought? The reason Sheard had playing time this year in the spotlight was because of the Greg Romeus injury. Romeus was a definite first round to fifteen pick unlike Sheard. They operated and repaired a disc, then he got an ACL and his Mon passed away. He had a terrible life a football year. The kid has fought back hard and been cleared but is still rehabbing the knee. He is a Tate situation. He was better than Sheard, He is 6'5" so two inckes taller than Sheard and heavier and he has a huge 84" wing span. He has no character issues. He was Co-East Big East Player of the Year in 2009. Ted Hendicks DE award finalist. Most valuable D lineman of the SunBowl with two sacks. At Pitt Sheard was good but Romeus was better.

I don't know if Sheard is even on the Pats Board after a shaky moment with Merriweather and character issues.

I say we take a shot with Romeus in the third like Tate with an ACL recovery (and he was a pot head too) and not take a reach OLB/DE project in the first like Sheard too early. Not at #28. I like Sheard at perhaps #92. Think I would rather have the faster Reed. They are the same size. And then take Romeus later even if he starts on PUP. But that's my opinion.
DW Toys

The thing is, most of the successful prospects who haven't shown a lot of foot quickness in the cone & shuttle have made up for it with great explosiveness -- Woodley is an excellent example. I'm high on Sheard, but these numbers certainly don't help him.

Interestingly (or, maybe not), Woodley apparently posted a 1.65 10-yd split. Sheard was 1.59. Reed was 1.54.

Aside from Woodley's ridiculous vertical, Acho posted similar numbers:
33.5" vert, 9'4" brd, 4.32 sh, 6.69 3-cone, 1.66 10-yd

Woodley about the same height as Acho, but a dozen or so pounds heavier and put up 29 reps to Acho's 23.

Easy to start getting lost in all these numbers, ain't it? ;)

No the tape says he doesn't always give 100% and disappears for long stretches of the game.

Ah, the tape. The bane of all amateur prognosticators. I was wondering what was holding him back. Seemed like a rare storm of athleticism, production, scheme, and opportunity.

Can I add some food for thought? The reason Sheard had playing time this year in the spotlight was because of the Greg Romeus injury. Romeus was a definite first round to fifteen pick unlike Sheard. They operated and repaired a disc, then he got an ACL and his Mon passed away. He had a terrible life a football year. The kid has fought back hard and been cleared but is still rehabbing the knee. He is a Tate situation. He was better than Sheard, He is 6'5" so two inckes taller than Sheard and heavier and he has a huge 84" wing span. He has no character issues. He was Co-East Big East Player of the Year in 2009. Ted Hendicks DE award finalist. Most valuable D lineman of the SunBowl with two sacks. At Pitt Sheard was good but Romeus was better.

I don't know if Sheard is even on the Pats Board after a shaky moment with Merriweather and character issues.

I say we take a shot with Romeus in the third like Tate with an ACL recovery (and he was a pot head too) and not take a reach OLB/DE project in the first like Sheard too early. Not at #28. I like Sheard at perhaps #92. Think I would rather have the faster Reed. They are the same size. And then take Romeus later even if he starts on PUP. But that's my opinion.
DW Toys

I'd be on board for taking a flyer on Romeus at #92.

Just for S & G, though:

Clermond 2007: 53 TT - 13.0 TFL - 10.5 SK - 1 PBU - 4 QBH - 2 FF
Romeus 2007: 41 TT - 11.5 TFL - 4.0 SK - 3 PBU - 1 QBH - 0 FF

Romeus 2008: 51 TT - 15.5 TFL - 7.5 SK - 3 PBU - 5 QBH - 1 FF
Sheard 2008: 45 TT - 10.5 TFL - 5.5 SK - 7 PBU - 11 QBH - 1 FF

Romeus 2009: 43 TT - 11.5 TFL - 8.0 SK - 5 PBU - 11 QBH - 3 FF
Sheard 2009: 42 TT - 10.5 TFL - 5.0 SK - 3 PBU - 12 QBH - 0 FF

Sheard 2010: 52 TT - 14.5 TFL - 9.0 SK - 4 PBU - 15 QBH - 4 FF
Lindsey* 2010: 51 TT - 18.0 TFL - 10.0 SK - 1 PBU - 6 QBH - 3 FF

*Brandon Lindsey, 6'2"/250 junior DL, who had 5.5 TFL, 4 SK and 4 QBH as a sophomore part-timer in 2009.

In 2010, they also had Chas Alecxih, 6'5"/280 junior DL:
57 TT - 9.0 TFL - 7.5 SK - 3 PBU - 2 QBH - 0 FF

The 2012 draft (assuming there is one) could also be interesting from a 3-4 defense perspective.

Last edited:

DW Toys

Greg Romeus isn't exactly a deep, dark secret, my friend: up until about 7 months ago or so, he was a consensus Top 10 Pick.

There's no question that as a 4th or 5th Round Pick, he would be an awesome low risk investment, and he's been burned into my Mocks for a LONG time.

Greg Romeus isn't exactly a deep, dark secret, my friend: up until about 7 months ago or so, he was a consensus Top 10 Pick.

There's no question that as a 4th or 5th Round Pick, he would be an awesome low risk investment, and he's been burned into my Mocks for a LONG time.

I am with you Cousin.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results