PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I've been expecting this - Rookie Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care if its bonuses or just a slight increase in their salary... The structure is absurd and if a top 5 pick busts, like Gallery did, then it screws the team for years.

FWIW, I watched the Raiders/49er's PS game last night and Gallery may have found a home at OG. He still isn't worth a top 5 pick but he looks like a starting OG. Also, the papers out here keep saying what a great pickup Tully was, but after 2 PS games I've hardly heard his name mentioned and one story said how the 49er's are having trouble stopping wide run plays.

Actually if the owners agreed to give up the tags, they'd likely want a year added to FA. Trying to get rid of tags and institute a lower rookie pay scale involves give and take here. The NFLPA isn't going to agree to something that means less money overall to players and the owners aren't going to agree to lose players sooner. Each side has things they want to protect.
It may not all be as easy as it sounds.

While both sides have things they wish to protect, they may have to do the unthinkable and...compromise.

Dock rookie pay -> give it to veterans
Things even out. Money is not lost for players overall. Money is not an issue.

since rookies will want shorter contracts, keep them away from free agency one more year.

delay free agency for a year -> remove franchise tag
Reverse the past edict. Things even out.

And for good measure max out rookie contracts at five years, but have terms nearly dictated by the NFL and NFLPA. Now there are less holdouts and less worries.

Maybe neither side would like the solution and you're probably right in that arena PatsSteve1, but ostensibly it could work.

Last edited:
let's do that, plus remove the franchise tag and the one year early entry into free agency

I'm not sure if they'd lump all of that in together - after all, the beneficiaries of this ultimately are the veterans who by definition, will be hammering out the new CBA when it comes up again (as early as next year I think)

But as you note there are multiple bargaining chips out there that can be played.

Ironically, aside from freeing up more money for veterans, the other beneficiaries of this move would be the perpetually bad teams that draft in the top ten that screw up their team with perpetually bad drafts that keep them in perpetually bad cap situations having perpetually devoted large signing bonuses to the perpetually bad 1st round rookies they draft.

This move would minimize the damage in dollars - though I guess they'd still find a way to perpetually draft NFL busts (I'm thinking of teams like the Texans who some feel have now struck out on three 1st round picks)

But in the final evaluation, even if it doesn't directly impact the Patriots - who I hope to see picking #32 ever year - I feel like having a strong NFL is in everyone's best interest. I have no desire to see the Patriots walk all over non-competitive teams - I have ever desire to see the Patriots walk all over quality teams with a league full of only the best football players money can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News