PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

is the Law Firm's toe affecting him more than we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aßßynormal

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
BenJarvus Green-Ellis Wittle Toe - Serious?

Patriots | BenJarvus Green-Ellis limited
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 14:14:52 -0800

New England Patriots RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis (toe) was limited in practice Thursday, Nov. 10.

0 Comments | Share: Tweet! Share on Facebook | Source: KFFL.com

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

He must have turf toe (or a fracture or Plague). I admit it's a guess but it makes some sense. In hindsight, maybe this is why we are running less. This assumes that Ridley's pass blocking is such a problem as to keep him off the field on passing plays. Someone posted that Ridley became less effective when defenses figured out that when he is on the field, he gets the ball (a post from a couple of weeks ago).

I wonder how effective he'll be going forward.

Re: BenJarvus Green-Ellis Wittle Toe - Serious?

It's a possibility BJGE has turf toe, because that's common for running backs and since that 136 yard game vs. the Jets (after which he was first put on the report), he seems to be less effective.

However, it still doesn't excuse why Ridley doesn't simply take his place. Ridley has been in on a few play-actions so obviously they have trusted him that far. I did not see any issues with his pass protection.

He looks perfectly fine to me making cuts and rushing come game day. It's not unusual to have players managed through the week to take loads off of ailments.

I guarantee you that no one can fully understand just how much you depend upon your toes for ANY sort of movement unless you've broken one (or more) of them.

I've had a number of serious injuries in my life, and the two most frustratingly painful were broken ribs and broken toes. They weren't bad unless you tried to take a full breath, or move.

I can fully understand a player willing/wanting to take injections for either injury.

I really wish the term 'turf toe' would have never been used and become commonplace, because the vast majority of people see those two words and assume it is nothing more than a person stubbing his toe or something similarly minor. The reaction from the public would be quite different if we heard he had ligament damage - which is what turf toe is.

It's not something that a player can effectively play through the pain, especially if he is a running back, receiver or defensive back, because it becomes extremely difficult to push off with your foot. In other words, it's difficult to walk; even more difficult to run or make cuts. For a RB that's trying to play with turf toe it's the difference between being stopped at the line for no gain, or hitting the hole and gaining five or more yards. For a CB it's the difference between being able to defend a pass and getting burnt for a touchdown.

Unfortunately there's no quick easy cure; it's something that takes several weeks to heal. The Pats really need to roll the dice with a lot more of Stevan Ridley (and needed to do that the last two games as well, as soon as they learned of this injury) because if they hand off to BJGE he's just not going to be effective.

Edit: here's some more info on turf toe: Turf Toe: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

Faulk is back and can run and block and catch...Vereen hasn't even seen the field as a RB as far as I know....Ridley has looked decent when played more than one or two times a game

Hey BOB...how about using ALL your tools...:confused:

I really wish the term 'turf toe' would have never been used and become commonplace, because the vast majority of people see those two words and assume it is nothing more than a person stubbing his toe or something similarly minor. The reaction from the public would be quite different if we heard he had ligament damage - which is what turf toe is.

It's not something that a player can effectively play through the pain, especially if he is a running back, receiver or defensive back, because it becomes extremely difficult to push off with your foot. In other words, it's difficult to walk; even more difficult to run or make cuts. For a RB that's trying to play with turf toe it's the difference between being stopped at the line for no gain, or hitting the hole and gaining five or more yards. For a CB it's the difference between being able to defend a pass and getting burnt for a touchdown.

Unfortunately there's no quick easy cure; it's something that takes several weeks to heal. The Pats really need to roll the dice with a lot more of Stevan Ridley (and needed to do that the last two games as well, as soon as they learned of this injury) because if they hand off to BJGE he's just not going to be effective.

Edit: here's some more info on turf toe: Turf Toe: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

Yea, couldn't they have called it like "CHL-Chronic Hyperextended Ligament", or something like that.:p Seriously though, it sounds very painful and debilitating! I hate when I hear a player has it.

Faulk is back and can run and block and catch...Vereen hasn't even seen the field as a RB as far as I know....Ridley has looked decent when played more than one or two times a game

Exactly, Woody too! How is faulk doing, is he 100%? They should be able to put a good run game in with anyone thats available. The Pats definitely need to use that advantage against the Jest run D. Balance, balance, balance!!!

Last edited:

It's hard to gauge his effectiveness when our OC is an idiot and he's gotten less than 10 carries a game since that game.

How appropriate.

Turf Toe during Jet week.

In the Pitt Game they used Faulk and he was not impressive at all.. last week he was inactive.

He probably still has some work to do to get back..

With all the turnovers lately, they need a sure handed back.. BJGE is the answer.

Great post. I'm actually leaning to a less serious version, or injury. If he had a severe ligament problem I don't think he'd be running as well as he is.

BB does not like just throwing guys in their when he has someone who performs well in the system and BJ is nothing if not a student of Belichick, I'm guessing.

I think it might be the new "Brady-Shoulder"

I think it might be the new "Brady-Shoulder"
Turf toe is extremely painful and difficult to heal.

Its a trick to fool the green beans, I kid you not

Its a trick to fool the green beans, I kid you not

your coach does that for you with his seasonal delusions of Guaranteeing a Super Bowl for the JETS organization and its fans.:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:

not to be a wiseas$...but all this toe talk in this thread is likely to draw the ire of King Wrecks the Toeslurper...(not to be confused with King Osric the Usurper....>)

images

not to be a wiseas$...but all this toe talk in this thread is likely to draw the ire of King Wrecks the Toeslurper...(not to be confused with King Osric the Usurper....>)

images
I'm guessing Mrs. Toeslurper's reaction might be somewhat less hostile...

As a college RB I missed half a season with turf toe, it sounds minor but if you cant plant or cut or go full speed you just cant be effective. I never minimize this injury after having it.

in the beginning of teh season, our run game was pretty effective. we were able to run the ball and ground/pound against the Raiders, Jets....and BJGE seemed to be hitting his stride as a premier back for us, and even Ridley was showing he could be a factor

but the last few weeks it seems our run game hasnt been able to get anything going. its not like we have abandoned it...we did run 28times against the Jets. I dont know if its blocking or injuries hindering him, but BJGE doesnt seem as explosive and we havent been getting good gains on the ground.

I think its important that as the season goes on we can re-establish the run game. Im not saying we become a run first team. especially when we have a QB like Brady. but it adds a wrinkle to this offense that seems to benefit the passing game alot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3