PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Mr. Belichick reverting back to his Cleveland Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Willie would have signed for cheap with the Pats. He wanted to stay. When there was no contact he went to FA. And he was obviously dissappointed, not only that he was no longer a Pat, but also that he didn't even get a phone call. Other than I agree ffgsand

ClosingTime said:
I think Willie would have signed for cheap with the Pats. He wanted to stay. When there was no contact he went to FA. And he was obviously dissappointed, not only that he was no longer a Pat, but also that he didn't even get a phone call. Other than I agree ffgsand

You may be right, but I don't think so, I think an attempt was made and it was too low for his liking before he was cut - pure speculation on my part. Or, maybe, BB just decided it was time an dshowed him respect by giving him free agency on the day the CBA was signed.

It hurts losing a guy that played such a key role in 3 SB wins and has been here forever, but, time waits for no man and the old "year too soon beats a year too late" applies.

So far we have lost a couple of bit players said:
Please Willis is/was not a bit player. He held down the OLB spot so that Vrabel could move inside because the free agent LB's we signed were complete busts. Brown and Biesel were pathetic.

Troy Brown is Free Agent and we don't even offer him a 1 or 2 year deal ? Come on. We have Branch and Caldwell ? Branch is terrific..Caldwell,,who knows. We have not done well signing free aganet WR's (remember Donald Hayes ??)

fgssand said:
I disagree with you relative to the way the Willie Mac situation was handled. As far as I am concerned it is Willie that disrespected the Patriots. The Patriots showed Willie all the respect in the world, which enabled him to get a nice fat 12 MM payday as a retirement present. BB spoke to Willie the day we let him enter free agency. Bob Kraft spoke to Willie and thanked him for everything the day he signed with Cleveland. Where is the disrespect??

* And Willie said back:

"I would like to thank the New England fans, players, media and organization for all of their support during my time with the Patriots. The last 12 years of my life have been nothing short of spectacular, and there will always be a special place in my heart for the Patriots. That being said, I am extremely excited about starting a new chapter of my life in Cleveland. To all of you in the New England area who have laughed, cried and celebrated with me and the Patriots over the past 12 years, thank you. I will always cherish those memories, and I will miss you."

* I don't think Willie disprespected the Patriots, or BB, at all. One of the Patriots players many like to hold up as the ultimate team player and an example of a guy who took less to stay is Tedy B. After Lawyer Milloy was cut he said:

" I'm not as fully committed to the Patriots as I was to my team at
Arizona or Roseville [Calif.] High. [The Patriots] took a franchise player and kicked him to the curb five days before the season. I wish -- I wish -- it was
the old days in this game, and I could put my heart on the line for something. But how do you do that in a place where guys who've established what this team is about just come and go?"

* Where's the respect there?

mikey said:
Is this a legitimate question?

Am I gonna get lynched here?

Why is it that Adam, Willie, and Troy, all loyal long-time employees, feel "betrayed" by the silent treatment from Belichick?

Why is it that Givens wasted no time in taking the first bus out of town?

Isn't this scenario exactly what happened in Cleveland, as described in David Halberstam's book? As Halberstam wrote, it was not just the releasing of Bernie Kosar that spelled Belchick's doom, it was the "brutality" with which Kosar was dismissed.

To answer my own question :D, the response is clearly no. The situations are very different. Bernie Kosar was being sent to the pasture while the Pats players here are going to other teams for more lucrative deals.

But on the surface, Belichick's silent treatment must be unsettling to players like Troy and Willie.

????????? I have no idea..are the inmates running the asylum???

PatsSteve1 said:
fgssand said:
I disagree with you relative to the way the Willie Mac situation was handled. As far as I am concerned it is Willie that disrespected the Patriots. The Patriots showed Willie all the respect in the world, which enabled him to get a nice fat 12 MM payday as a retirement present. BB spoke to Willie the day we let him enter free agency. Bob Kraft spoke to Willie and thanked him for everything the day he signed with Cleveland. Where is the disrespect??

* And Willie said back:

"I would like to thank the New England fans, players, media and organization for all of their support during my time with the Patriots. The last 12 years of my life have been nothing short of spectacular, and there will always be a special place in my heart for the Patriots. That being said, I am extremely excited about starting a new chapter of my life in Cleveland. To all of you in the New England area who have laughed, cried and celebrated with me and the Patriots over the past 12 years, thank you. I will always cherish those memories, and I will miss you."

* I don't think Willie disprespected the Patriots, or BB, at all. One of the Patriots players many like to hold up as the ultimate team player and an example of a guy who took less to stay is Tedy B. After Lawyer Milloy was cut he said:

" I'm not as fully committed to the Patriots as I was to my team at
Arizona or Roseville [Calif.] High. [The Patriots] took a franchise player and kicked him to the curb five days before the season. I wish -- I wish -- it was
the old days in this game, and I could put my heart on the line for something. But how do you do that in a place where guys who've established what this team is about just come and go?"

* Where's the respect there?

Right - Willies quote was from yesterday and was what I would have hoped he would have said at first, bu the didn't. If you were able to have checked out what he had to say on Thursday on NFL All Access, you would of heard him allude to how Romeo made him feel wanted and part of the family. He also had said no one had contacted him from the Pats which was not true, BB spoke to him, Kraft spoke to him and he had messages left on his phone and did not return them. If you search older posts you will find what I am talking about.

I loved Willies play and we will miss him, but, it was time according to BB and his record says he knows best to me.

fgssand said:
PatsSteve1 said:
Right - Willies quote was from yesterday and was what I would have hoped he would have said at first, but the didn't. If you were able to have checked out what he had to say on Thursday on NFL All Access, you would of heard him allude to how Romeo made him feel wanted and part of the family. He also had said no one had contacted him from the Pats which was not true, BB spoke to him, Kraft spoke to him and he had messages left on his phone and did not return them. If you search older posts you will find what I am talking about.

* I watched All Access and saw nothing wrong with what he said. If BB cut him and Romeo takes him in what would you expect him to say? And what may have been said by Kraft and BB wasn't that they were going to offer him more than Romeo did. I guess some aren't satisfied unless Willie kisses someone's ***.

ClosingTime said:

And you think this based on?..............

bosfan said:
Can we get this picture linked to the site so we can zap every ridiculous post that these forum terrorists put out?

It's all relative.

Check out the David Boston thread. :rolleyes: :p :confused: :D

bosfan said:
Can we get this picture linked to the site so we can zap every ridiculous post that these forum terrorists put out?
It is needed...there are so so many..UGH!!!!!!!

ClosingTime said:
Steve hit the nail on the head. Winning has mollified Bellichick's obtuse manner in dealing with players. The fact is, he is not a guy players like. He's generally ineffectual and has cut some popular players without even so much as a goodbye. I wouldn't go as far as Tom Jackson did when he said they hate their coach but they, as a group and generally speaking, certainly don't like him. But they do like winning so they move beyond it.
THis is not a bad thing either. Many of us have worked for bosses we dislike but we do our jobs. Taking it a step further one could argue that a people will work harder for a person the dislike than one they are buddies with.
Bellichick is what he is. A very good X's and O's coach. No one would ever call him a 'players coach'. To be fair I'll admit that Bill Cowher is not a great Xs and Os coach but players love playing for him.
But BB has 3 SBs and Cowher has one.
I do think the McGinest situation was not handled correctly and will cause more animosity and distrust from the remaining players. Willie was a leader of the team and well respected. However, Brady will continue to keep the Pats contenders for the rest of his career which will stave off any significant mutiny.

ClostingTime - Why do you insist on posting unsubstaniated BS? Your don't have a clue as to what the Patriots Players think of BB. So, do us all a favor and keep your BS to yourself.

Pats726 said:
It is needed...there are so so many..UGH!!!!!!!

What else we gonna do til the Pats do something?

Why can't David Boston play safety?

And where can I try out for a Baseball team? I'm 5'5" and I can run fast. :D

Guess I have to learn to hit and field, though. :confused:

ClosingTime said:

Then you thought wrong. See, what your ignorance is showing is that you don't know the situation. You see, the Patriots and McGinest had tried negotiating for WEEKS after the Patriots were bounced from the Play-offs. Also, since you ignored it, BB was in contact with Willie prior to his signing with Cleveland. And Bob Kraft called Willie the day he signed with Cleveland and thanked him. So, the proganda BS that Willie didn't even get a phone call can stop now. Or are you insisting on living in ignorance your entire life?

DaBruinz said:
Then you thought wrong. See, what your ignorance is showing is that you don't know the situation. You see, the Patriots and McGinest had tried negotiating for WEEKS after the Patriots were bounced from the Play-offs. Also, since you ignored it, BB was in contact with Willie prior to his signing with Cleveland. And Bob Kraft called Willie the day he signed with Cleveland and thanked him. So, the proganda BS that Willie didn't even get a phone call can stop now. Or are you insisting on living in ignorance your entire life?
No contact = not offering me the money I want...need trnslatoins with a lot of these..

See, the thing is, 'facts' can change. Its too hard to base opinions on facts with them changing all the time. But what I BELIEVE will never change, so my 'opinion' is based purely on what I BELIEVE.

That's far better than bothering with those pesky, unreliable facts.

In other news, Mikey's doing a hell of a job lately, with his "just asking" threads, with the little :D thrown in just to show you he's 'just kidding'. "Is Mr. Belichick Reverting Back to is Cleveland Days" and even more space wasting profundities. Nice work.

The Pats are not being cheap! Other teams are overpaying. Look at any of the independent analysis on ESPN or CBSsportsline, they all say the same thing, 30 mil for a 34 yr old OLB? Very questionable, ditto for Givens. Willie has been a great player and you can't blame him for taking the cash, but don't blame BB either. Really look around at these players getting signed, would you really want any of them at those prices? Think about who you would have to cut, and who you would have no chance of re-signing. The Jets are trying to get rid of Abraham yet pay stupid money for Kimo
Vonoff anbreakCarson'sleg? Dumb, much like young Skywalker, the apprentieces still have much to learn from the Master!

FreeTedWilliams said:
The Pats are not being cheap! Other teams are overpaying. Look at any of the independent analysis on ESPN or CBSsportsline, they all say the same thing, 30 mil for a 34 yr old OLB? Very questionable, ditto for Givens. Willie has been a great player and you can't blame him for taking the cash, but don't blame BB either. Really look around at these players getting signed, would you really want any of them at those prices? Think about who you would have to cut, and who you would have no chance of re-signing. The Jets are trying to get rid of Abraham yet pay stupid money for Kimo
Vonoff anbreakCarson'sleg? Dumb, much like young Skywalker, the apprentieces still have much to learn from the Master!
He's making sense....really!!! DITTO!!

I think you are right....

fgssand said:
You may be right, but I don't think so, I think an attempt was made and it was too low for his liking before he was cut - pure speculation on my part. Or, maybe, BB just decided it was time an dshowed him respect by giving him free agency on the day the CBA was signed.

It hurts losing a guy that played such a key role in 3 SB wins and has been here forever, but, time waits for no man and the old "year too soon beats a year too late" applies.

I am relatively sure that negotiations were made between the Pats and Willie....and he wanted more than they were offering.....and they therefore cut him. But to say that the Pats didn't offer Willie anything but the door, doesn't sound right to me......(pure speculation and one man's opinion).....but I am sure they made an attempt to keep him in the fold.....good post

stcjones said:
I am relatively sure that negotiations were made between the Pats and Willie....and he wanted more than they were offering.....and they therefore cut him. But to say that the Pats didn't offer Willie anything but the door, doesn't sound right to me......(pure speculation and one man's opinion).....but I am sure they made an attempt to keep him in the fold.....good post

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../03/19/earning_respect____and_his_due/?page=2

The following quote is from Richard Seymour about McGinnest's departure that appeared in today's Globe:

''I think they should have at least called him before they cut him. For 12 years, that's no respect there, but I understand. It's business. You see Drew [Bledsoe] go and Lawyer [Milloy] go and Ty [Law] and Damien Woody and Willie, that's a lot of top guys gone. Man. I see that and now I understand what somebody told me when I first got to the NFL. He said, 'When you leave pro football, all you got is M&Ms -- your memories and your money.' "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back