PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it ‚conflict of interest‘: Player-Owner —TB?

"Forced to sell due to racism"

Lol you mean the ownership had a disagreement with a coach who was black? Ok... "Racism". Sneezing within 25 meters of Brian Flores would result in "racism" accusations, wouldn't it?
The Dolphins will not be "forced to sell due to racism". If the League made the Dolphins do that, they would literally be proving Flores' case for him, and they would all be on the hook for an awful lot of money.

There are people who believe the Dolphins may be forced to sell due to the pay-for-losses issue. I doubt it will get to that point, but at least that is more reasonable. Ross may throw in the towel and walk away but I just can't see him being forced to sell if he doesn't want to.

As for Brady pursuing ownership in a team..... I haven't seen a single word about Brady wanting to pursue ownership other than a rumor started by Florio, and I just don't buy it. Florio has a tendency to talk out of his ass and once he latches on to something like this, he never lets it go.

The contract he signed after the Super Bowl came with removal of the franchise tag rights for the Patriots.

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand.

All teams retain franchise tag rights over their players.

The Patriots relinquished their rights.
It's not difficult to understand at all. You're refusing to accept what happened.

TFB: I want a multi-year contract, fully guaranteed.
Bill: No. We'll give you a one year.
TFB: That's not going to work for me.
Bill: We'll give you a bump in pay but there's no way in hell you're getting more than 1 year. We'll add on some perf. incentives (that you'll never meet).
TFB: Fine, but you have to remove franchise tag, so I'm free after the season.
Bill: What?
Kraft: Agreed.

It's not difficult to understand at all. You're refusing to accept what happened.

TFB: I want a multi-year contract, fully guaranteed.
Bill: No. We'll give you a one year.
TFB: That's not going to work for me.
Bill: We'll give you a bump in pay but there's no way in hell you're getting more than 1 year. We'll add on some perf. incentives (that you'll never meet).
TFB: Fine, but you have to remove franchise tag, so I'm free after the season.
Bill: What?
Kraft: Agreed.
Where did I refuse to accept what happened?

How does what you wrote contradict anything I said?

Where did I refuse to accept what happened?

How does what you wrote contradict anything I said?
You've been implying that the Pats benevolently agreed to release Brady from his contract so he could go play elsewhere and lobbed it in with examples of other players and teams doing the same (some of those after retirement). That's not what happened here w/ Brady. It was Brady that negotiated the removal of the tag because he knew Bill would keep him on yearly contracts, low balling him, while surrounding him with sub par O players. The team agreed to his terms but fully expected him to re-sign again. Both Kraft and Bill were surprised when Brady told them he was gone. There's no better proof than the Pats only having Stidham and Hoyer as the succession plan.

Could the Pats have refused removal of the tag? Sure. But this could've led to an ugly public contract dispute between the Pats and the GOAT. Kraft wasn't going to allow that. Brady gave them an ultimatum and they accepted it.

Regardless, the situation in Tampa is completely different than what happened with the Pats:

1. 2019: Tom wanted to continue playing for several more years. 2022: Tom retires while under contract.

2. 2019: Pats agree to remove tag, making Tom a FA in 2020.
2022: Tom is currently under contract and Bucs own his rights.

You've been implying that the Pats benevolently agreed to release Brady from his contract so he could go play elsewhere and lobbed it in with examples of other players and teams doing the same (some of those after retirement). That's not what happened here w/ Brady. It was Brady that negotiated the removal of the tag because he knew Bill would keep him on yearly contracts, low balling him, while surrounding him with sub par O players. The team agreed to his terms but fully expected him to re-sign again. Both Kraft and Bill were surprised when Brady told them he was gone. There's no better proof than the Pats only having Stidham and Hoyer as the succession plan.

Could the Pats have refused removal of the tag? Sure. But this could've led to an ugly public contract dispute between the Pats and the GOAT. Kraft wasn't going to allow that. Brady gave them an ultimatum and they accepted it.

Regardless, the situation in Tampa is completely different than what happened with the Pats:

1. 2019: Tom wanted to continue playing for several more years. 2022: Tom retires while under contract.

2. 2019: Pats agree to remove tag, making Tom a FA in 2020.
2022: Tom is currently under contract and Bucs own his rights.
EVERY team could have an ugly situation if they don't let the star go on his own terms. You think this only applies to the Patriots?

EVERY team could have an ugly situation if they don't let the star go on his own terms. You think this only applies to the Patriots?
The pro Brady personages have to frame everything in the light of Brady good Pats/BB bad...

If the Patriots wanted to play hardball with him, they could have. They didn't, and gave up the right to tag him. You are reading the situation correctly.

I just do not see Brady walking away from playing like this.

I do believe that Brady as a Buccaneer is cooked. Rumor is that Brady and Arains had friction this season and Brady realized that Arians runs a loose ship. Every situation is not prepared for and practiced. Mistakes like not covering Kooper Cup cost the Bucs a shot in OT.

Gronk is a FA. Bradys homeboy AB was done wrong by Arians who knew that AB was injured because he did not practice Friday or Saturday. I watched the AB interview after the Jets game and he is not a looney tune. Wild yes. Bad temper yup.

Jimmy Baby is definitely out in SF so there is a vacancy at QB in Frisco.

The pro Brady personages have to frame everything in the light of Brady good Pats/BB bad...

If the Patriots wanted to play hardball with him, they could have. They didn't, and gave up the right to tag him. You are reading the situation correctly.
Is Andy pro Brady? He's one of the most pro Bill guys on the forum.

This has nothing to do with pro this or that. There was a negotiation. They negotiated.

"A negotiation is a strategic discussion that resolves an issue in a way that both parties find acceptable. ... By negotiating, all involved parties try to avoid arguing but agree to reach some form of compromise. Negotiations involve some give and take, which means one party will always come out on top of the negotiation."

Unless you think the NFL is a plantation and the players have to bow down to the demands of the owners.

Is Andy pro Brady? He's one of the most pro Bill guys on the forum.
he's ... special ... once argued with himself, didn't ya know...

I dont need any of that hothouse bs plantation rhetoric.

Of course they negotiated. That's how its done. The Patriots did not have to give up their right to Tag him. They did, its that simple. They did good by Brady. They could have pushed the issue. They did not.

This is not that hard to understand.

Rumors are leaking out about Brady and Arians conflict.

Leftwich and Brady would form the game plan for each week and Arians would pick it apart.

Last edited:

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back