PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is it ‚conflict of interest‘: Player-Owner —TB?

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So there are various rumors out there about TB future; principally Florio saying he is engineering his retiree-release so he can be a FA and replace JG in SF.

Now there is this rumo:
https://nesn.com/2022/02/nfl-rumors-what-forced-sale-of-dolphins-could-mean-for-tom-brady/

that Miami could be forced to sell due to racism, then new ownership team includes TB.

I would think that presents a conflict of interest and I thought I recalled that it was prohibited when some other player was trying 10 years ago.
so;
1. is it or do you agree is a conflict?
2. if you were TB, do you push for ring nr 8; or go for a piece of the pie?

NOTE: ignore for the moment that a league that treats owners like spoiled princes and does nothing about owners putting up statues to criminals, lauding woman & child beaters etc; or other racist hiring practices ( if you think Kap issue was all about race), iseems pretty unlikely to force a half-billion $ enterprise on the blocks for a temporary bad press issue. This ain’t the nba.

So there are various rumors out there about TB future; principally Florio saying he is engineering his retiree-release so he can be a FA and replace JG in SF.

Now there is this rumo:
NFL Rumors: What Forced Sale Of Dolphins Could Mean For Tom Brady

that Miami could be forced to sell due to racism, then new ownership team includes TB.

I would think that presents a conflict of interest and I thought I recalled that it was prohibited when some other player was trying 10 years ago.
so;

NOTE: ignore for the moment that a league that treats owners like spoiled princes and does nothing about owners putting up statues to criminals, lauding woman & child beaters etc; or other racist hiring practices ( if you think Kap issue was all about race), iseems pretty unlikely to force a half-billion $ enterprise on the blocks for a temporary bad press issue. This ain’t the nba.
as long as tampa holds his rights, tb isnt playing for anyone but the puketer & red... so right now, its moot

Now there is this rumo:
NFL Rumors: What Forced Sale Of Dolphins Could Mean For Tom Brady

so;

I’m not sure how much faith I put in an article that calls a $17,000,000 home purchase a “9 figure transaction”.

as long as tampa holds his rights, tb isnt playing for anyone but the puketer & red... so right now, its moot
While true, in every instance where a QB moved teams this late in his career, the team let him go. Manning from Colts to Denver. Brady from NE to Tampa. Favre from the Jets to the Vikings. There must be counter examples of old stars getting traded in recent decades. Only Montana was traded but in that case, he was much younger (36) and the 9ers also had Steve Young.

I just think out of courtesy to a 45 year old GOAT, Tampa will release him.

While true, in every instance where a QB moved teams this late in his career, the team let him go. Manning from Colts to Denver. Brady from NE to Tampa. Favre from the Jets to the Vikings. There must be counter examples of old stars getting traded in recent decades. Only Montana was traded but in that case, he was much younger (36) and the 9ers also had Steve Young.

Favre was traded from the Pack to the jets... despite him wanting to go to the Vikings... Flacco was traded from the ratbirds to the donks... Bledsoe traded to the bildos... McNabb traded from the iggles to the redskins... 49ers traded smith to the cheefs... smith was traded from the cheefs to the skins... etc etc...

Favre was traded from the Pack to the jets... despite him wanting to go to the Vikings... Flacco was traded from the ratbirds to the donks... Bledsoe traded to the bildos... McNabb traded from the iggles to the redskins... 49ers traded smith to the cheefs... etc etc...
I know, but I'm talking about Favre and the Jets after he announced his retirement. They released his rights.

Flacco, Bledsoe, McNabb and Smith are not in the category of all time greats in their 40s. They were very young.

Is Tampa really going to prevent Brady from moving on? It would be really bad form. Maybe they'd take a 6th, but it just looks stupid for them

I know, but I'm talking about Favre and the Jets after he announced his retirement. They released his rights.

Flacco, Bledsoe, McNabb and Smith are not in the category of all time greats in their 40s. They were very young.

Is Tampa really going to prevent Brady from moving on? It would be really bad form. Maybe they'd take a 6th, but it just looks stupid for them
i dunno if they will... right now, they havent been all too willing to release him so he could sign a one day contract here to "retire"... but I can't say that he has asked to be released to date... maybe he has, maybe he hasn't... so until he's free its moot.

Brady was not under contract, the patriots had no choice to not let him go.

i dunno if they will... right now, they havent been all too willing to release him so he could sign a one day contract here to "retire"... but I can't say that he has asked to be released to date... maybe he has, maybe he hasn't... so until he's free its moot.
. The TB to SF theory was that he would ‚un-retire‘ on/after the 2d June cut-downs.

Due to TB remaining cap hit, 1 June is the magic date for tampa to fish or cut bait on TB. Before 1 June [or w/o a post 1-June designation] they would accelerate his remaining cap charge. afterwards they could grant his wish and /or free up their reserve-retired list.

While true, in every instance where a QB moved teams this late in his career, the team let him go. Manning from Colts to Denver. Brady from NE to Tampa.

Brady was not under contract, the patriots had no choice to not let him go.
This.
Brady was a FA. Pats had no say where he chose to go.

Bucs and Brady are waiting for after June 1st so they can spread his 2022 dead money hit ($32M drops to $8M) across more years, like Brees did with NO.

Bucs and Brady are waiting for after June 1st so they can spread his 2022 dead money hit ($32M drops to $8M) across more years, like Brees did with NO.

have the puketer and red said that?

have the puketer and red said that?
Idk but it's pretty obvious. I doubt Brady wants to leave them in the lurch after the way Tampa received him.

This.
Brady was a FA. Pats had no say where he chose to go.
The Patriots gave him that right contractually. They agreed to remove and relinquish all rights to him. They didn't have to do that. They still could've kept his rights even without a contract.

The Patriots gave him that right contractually. They agreed to remove and relinquish all rights to him. They didn't have to do that. They still could've kept his rights even without a contract.
They wouldn't agree to a multi-year contract, so Tom insisted on removal of franchise tag. It was negotiated. This wasn't some sort of parting gift. From all accounts, they expected Tom to re-sign while taking a haircut.

They wouldn't agree to a multi-year contract, so Tom insisted on removal of franchise tag. It was negotiated. This wasn't some sort of parting gift. From all accounts, they expected Tom to re-sign while taking a haircut.
I'm saying they agreed to do it. They didn't have to.

I'm saying they agreed to do it. They didn't have to.
Right, and Tom didn't have to sign the contract either. This is in no way the same as the other examples.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back