PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting Cornerback Breakdowns

Get it shawtaay

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This writer spent a lot of free time going through film of some of the league's better cornerbacks. He charts every single snap the players were in on, and whether or not they won vs. the receiver in coverage, even if the ball didn't come in their direction. It represents a lot of work and is interesting to read. Plus, unlike PFF or similar sites there is a rationale rather than merely a number. So you can decide how you feel about the analysis, rather than be expected to take it for truth. Thought I'd pass it along.

Darrelle Revis Breakdown

Richard Sherman Breakdown

Brandon Flowers Breakdown

Patrick Peterson Breakdown

Casey Heyward Breakdown

Interesting read. The data pretty much shows that while Sherman is the best CB in the NFL statistically, Revis gets the edge due to trailing the opposing teams best WR, even if its a slot WR like Wes. Sherman stays on his side.

Anyone else find it interesting Stevie Johnson is the toughest test for the best CBs in the NFL? 66% success rate vs. Peterson, 43.8% vs. Revis, and 42% vs. Sherman. He's the only WR to truly own Revis in a game too.

Interesting read. The data pretty much shows that while Sherman is the best CB in the NFL statistically, Revis gets the edge due to trailing the opposing teams best WR, even if its a slot WR like Wes. Sherman stays on his side.

Anyone else find it interesting Stevie Johnson is the toughest test for the best CBs in the NFL? 66% success rate vs. Peterson, 43.8% vs. Revis, and 42% vs. Sherman. He's the only WR to truly own Revis in a game too.

Yeah i have noticed that. I think there will be numerous factors such as he comes up against him more where others have just the one game to shine.

I do think tho that johnson doesn't get as much attention from the media as he deserves he has but up good numbers with poor QB's and i think would be a star on a team with a even average QB.

Isn't that something? Stevie Johnson's style of play might not be as overpowering as, say, Desean Jackson, but it serves him well against the tightest coverage.

I've always been a believer that certain styles of player tend to translate in the games that matter most. If Stevie Johnson can overcome his focus issues on the field he can be a good Jan-Feb player. With good fortune the Bills never get there of course.

OT: Interesting Cornerback Breakdowns

I love Stevie's game. I'm not sure how he does those little moves that give him space even in tight coverage.

It's like the CB just gets a little slower and little more confused in his vicinity.

Isn't that something? Stevie Johnson's style of play might not be as overpowering as, say, Desean Jackson, but it serves him well against the tightest coverage.

I've always been a believer that certain styles of player tend to translate in the games that matter most. If Stevie Johnson can overcome his focus issues on the field he can be a good Jan-Feb player. With good fortune the Bills never get there of course.

Too bad he got extended last year. Three straight years with 1000 yards, only 27 years old next season, I think he would've been worth the 7mil a year he got. We'll never know what he could of been with a top QB. Most underrated, moronic WR in the league. :D

I remember reading an article that said Johnson used to study tape on Darelle Revis.

With good fortune, the Pats get Stevie Johnson when he hits free agency. ^_^

I wish we had corners that were good enough to profile/be worth tracking. LOL.

Joe Haden and Stephon Gilmore added

Joe Haden Breakdown

Stephon Gilmore Breakdown

Interesting - his tape analysis of cornerback performance leads to the conclusion that Gilmore was very underrated and Haden very overrated this past season. I'd always thought of Haden as a guy who gets used in a #1 cornerback fashion, but apparently that's not the case.

Interesting Cornerback Breakdowns: Football Outsiders' best and worst CB

Football Outsiders has just run a pair of articles on the best (and worst) corners for the 2012 season. They have three statistical rankings: yards per pass, success rate, and yards after catch.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Best Cornerback Charting Stats 2012

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Worst Cornerback Charting Stats 2012

I am not sure what to make of the 'best' rankings; even the author admits that there is little consistency year to year, and that the top spots are a blend of highly regarded players and others that few would consider to be elite.

Top Ten, Yards per Pass
  1. Robert McClain, Falcons
  2. Casey Hayward, Packers
  3. Brandon Browner, Seahawks
  4. Captain Munnerlyn, Panthers
  5. Corey Graham, Ravens
  6. Antonio Cromartie, Jets
  7. Carlos Rogers, 49ers
  8. Chris Harris, Broncos
  9. Antoine Winfield, Vikings
  10. Brandon Flowers, Chiefs

Top Ten, Success Rate
  1. Casey Heyward, Packers
  2. Greg Toler, Cardinals
  3. Robert McClain, Falcons
  4. Tony Carter, Broncos
  5. Corey Graham, Ravens
  6. Brandon Flowers, Chiefs
  7. Antonio Cromartie, Jets
  8. Richard Sherman, Seahawks
  9. Asante Samuel, Falcons
  10. Brandon Browner, Seahawks

Top Ten, Yards After Catch
  1. Josh Robinson, Vikings
  2. Cary Williams, Ravens
  3. Josh Norman, Panthers
  4. Champ Bailey, Broncos
  5. Ike Taylor, Steelers
  6. Dimitri Patterson, two teams
  7. Joselio Hanson, Raiders
  8. Nolan Carroll, Dolphins
  9. Antoine Winfield, Vikings
  10. Chris Culliver, 49ers

Several well known players make an appearance in the 'worst' rankings, including Nnamdi Asomugha (twice), DeAngelo Hall and Vontae Davis. Aqib Talib also makes two of these three lists, though it should be pointed out that his stats are for the full year with both the Bucs and the Pats. Former Patriot Darius Butler shows up in the yards after catch category, and Baltimore's Cary Williams makes it on the best list in one category (YAC) and worst in another (success rate).

Bottom Ten, Yards per Pass
  1. Rashean Mathis, Jaguars
  2. Nnamdi Asomugha, Eagles
  3. Aqib Talib, two teams
  4. A.J. Jefferson, Vikings
  5. DeAngelo Hall, Redskins
  6. Jacob Lacey, Lions
  7. Corey Webster, Giants
  8. Vontae Davis, Colts
  9. Patrick Robinson, Saints
  10. Buster Skrine, Browns

Bottom Ten, Success Rate
  1. A.J. Jefferson, Vikings
  2. Aaron Ross, Jaguars
  3. Antoine Cason, Chargers
  4. Morris Claiborne, Cowboys
  5. Buster Skrine, Browns
  6. Josh Norman, Panthers
  7. Rashean Mathis, Jaguars
  8. Cary Williams, Ravens
  9. Vontae Davis, Colts
  10. Joselio Hanson, Raiders

Bottom Ten, Yards After Catch
  1. Leonard Johnson, Bucs
  2. Josh Wilson, Redskins
  3. Patrick Robinson, Saints
  4. Jacob Lacey, Lions
  5. Brice McCain, Texans
  6. Alterraun Verner, Titans
  7. Aqib Talib, two teams
  8. Sam Shields, Packers
  9. Darius Butler, Colts
  10. Nnamdi Asomugha, Eagles

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back