PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting and refreshing read on ESPN.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously I approve of most of the column because it's sympathetic to the Pats but I would like Simmons (a former Bostonian and rabid Boston Sports fan) to stop saying they "cheated." They didn't cheat even the brain-dead commissioner admits that. What they did was break the rules. There's a huge difference in my mind.

Also did BB "pull a Nixon?" He never denied he done it just said it was a misinterruption of the rules. He accepted responsibility and paid the price. As I recall Richard Nixon went to his grave denying that he knew about the Watergate operation or its cover up.

Mosi, Hoodie and Ponyexpress - I am with you guys. I love Simmons and I could feel his passion in this article, but I do wish he stopped trying to cover his arguments by saying the Pats cheated (i.e., he's trying to prove he's not in denial so his points have more merit). However, I am glad he expressed exactly what I was thinking watching the pre-show and halftime show - disgust at Kremer, Costas and Collinsworth, none of whom showed one iota of integrity by running with only one side of the issue.

Simmons is dead on, this was a huge game with 2 top 3 teams going at it, and yet all people seemed to care about was beating the same dead horse. I really think people these days just enjoy being negative all the time no matter what the issue is, it is really pathetic that good games are being overshadowed by members of the media.

It was nice to see a sympathetic article, especially written with Bill Simmons' writing style...but in reality the content left something to be desired. I really did not like the quote below.

"1. Is there a chance -- just a chance -- Belichick has gotten a little paranoid in his old age, and since an undermanned Jets team played them closely in all three Pats-Jets games last season, he spent the spring and summer wondering if Mangini had figured out a way to steal their signals, so he decided to tape their coaches in Week 1 to see if that was true? And then he got caught?"

Is there really a need to create additional, ridiculous excuses for what BB did? BB used the tape later to breakdown coach or cordinator tendancies for later. Why are we trying to say it was something else? It is what is and I for one would have much rather seen Simmons defend that practice as really not that bad and just a technical rule violation than see him spouting off fantastical conspiracy theories.

I love reading Bill Simmons, I just thought this one could have been better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back