PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm looking forward to NFLN's upcoming segment "Babying Brady?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope all of this does not end up hurting Brady on the field.

I hope all of this does not end up hurting Brady on the field.

It won't.

Here's what people (mostly former players and current ones) are missing. The league instituted a RULE that says you CANNOT go after the quarterback's knees. END OF OF STORY.

NOW, the rule may be BS. It may be a good rule. Bottom line, UNTIL teams and players are used to this rule this "gray area" (Marshall Falk's term not mine) will always exist.

From all of the game's i've seen this year (pre-season see Matt Hasselback and regular season) the officials are calling THIS particular penalty the way it's written.

It may need to be re-written but it's being called properly.

I equate it to the 5-yard chuck rule in 04. The "bill polian i can't beat new england so let's ***** about them call from 03" rule. it was tough for the early portion of 2004 with lots of ticky tack calls people weren't used to. But after a couple of weeks, we fans and THE PLAYERS also got used to them as well.

Like it or not the league will protect the QB.

Look, if it were Peyton Manning who missed all of last year, the league would have implimented the some kind of rules to protect the star qb's. It's a better league when the manning's (peyton, not eli - yet) and the Brady's are ALWAYS playing and not gone for a whole year. The NFL witnessed that last year and are trying to DISCOURAGE defensive players from plays like that this year.

Every video segment I have seen on this issue only shows the two roughing the passer penalties by the Ravens, but not Mike Wright's. Wright's penalty is just as bad as Nata's, but it doesn't sell the story to show that the refs called the particular call relately evenly.

Ngata hit Brady hard in the head, his whole body keeled, his helmet was twisted.

Good call.

The league protects all players really except for RBs. You can't horsecollar them, but you can do practically anything else to them.

DLs can't be chopblocked, so let's get rid of that rule first.

Hey get rid of all QB hit rules. No more calls .. can do whatever you want.
Lets see how many QB's the league can put on crutches. All these talking
heads without brains would be singing a different tune if they lost their cushy
jobs because no one was watch the crapy QB's left in the NFL
after the dust settles.

And let's bring back crackback blocks. Let's make it legal for an offensive lineman to engage a defensive lineman and have a teammate cutblock them and put them out of commission. I usually don't want to see anyone injured, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone take out Suggs or Lewis at the knees.

See what happens when the league doesn't fine players and coaches who question the referees in public. It opens the door for this sort of thing. :p

What's become pretty clear to me is that Ed Winter douched us by winding up softball-style before he threw the flag. That's why it appeared that Brady lobbied for the call and got it, even though the official is reaching for his flag as contact was made.

What's still unclear to me is how anyone can say that there was no contact...and every talking head appears to be saying that.

I gotta stop obsessing about this before my wife kills me. :D

What's become pretty clear to me is that Ed Winter douched us by winding up softball-style before he threw the flag. That's why it appeared that Brady lobbied for the call and got it, even though the official is reaching for his flag as contact was made.

What's still unclear to me is how anyone can say that there was no contact...and every talking head appears to be saying that.

I gotta stop obsessing about this before my wife kills me. :D

What bothers me about the whole "there was barely any contact" argument is that the rule is in place to prevent the contact in the first place. If Brady doesn't move his knee he could have been gone for the year again, so does that mean this is only a penalty when a QB goes down? That appears to be what the talking heads are saying should happen with that argument.

The most frustrating thing for me is the fact that these so called experts are all WRONG. It has always been against the rules to go after somebody's knees. The Brady rule as everyone like to call it, is when a defensive player is on the ground, he can't get up and lunge at a QB's knees from that position. As far as I know, this call has yet to be made this year. I wish Bruschi would stand up and be the one voice of reason in the media. We all know that we can't expect that from Harrison.

The media trying to manipulate the ignorant masses? I'm shocked...really. I'm sure this program offered many facts that prove Brady has been given some sort of special treatment. Oh wait...it didn't? It was just a bunch of network and TV hacks pimping a controversial and attention-grabbing story line? Hmmm. Screw those morons. Come back when you have some facts to support your master theory.

Last edited:
Correct. This issue is a time when should find out if Reiss and Price are Journalists or just working in the BSPN hype machine. Consider yourselves "called out" fellas.

The most frustrating thing for me is the fact that these so called experts are all WRONG. It has always been against the rules to go after somebody's knees. The Brady rule as everyone like to call it, is when a defensive player is on the ground, he can't get up and lunge at a QB's knees from that position. As far as I know, this call has yet to be made this year. I wish Bruschi would stand up and be the one voice of reason in the media. We all know that we can't expect that from Harrison.

When is the "Babying Trent Edwards" episode? I've been waiting to hear their views on that one

it happens every year, the media finds something they can gang up and pile on the Pats. are we not used to it? i mean i am not used to it but expect it at least once per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes