• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Start for the Lions (or Rams or Chiefs), or be a backup for the Patriots, assuming that the financial details were the same (i.e., no extra money one way or the other)? [For the record, this means that you'd be willing to start for at least one of them, not necessarily all three.]

Dan Patrick asked Cassel this a couple of weeks ago, and Cassel (rather wisely) refused to answer.

Last edited:
Re: If you were Cassel, would you rather . . .

Start for the Lions or Chiefs. Backup for the Patriots rather than start for the Rams.

I wouldn't start for the Lions, but the Rams and the Chiefs now that Herm is gone could be contenders in a few years.

Start for the Lions (or Rams or Chiefs), or be a backup for the Patriots, assuming that the financial details were the same (i.e., no extra money one way or the other)? [For the record, this means that you'd be willing to start for at least one of them, not necessarily all three.]

Dan Patrick asked Cassel this a couple of weeks ago, and Cassel (rather wisely) refused to answer.

If I was Cassel I would love to sit on my butt, hold a clipboard and get paid 14.5 million dollars to confer with TB when he comes off the field. Thank god Cassel is more of a competitor but KC seems like a place for him but not sure the compensation. Pioli drafted Cassel and knows him better then the other GM's so it will be interesting how this will play out.

In life we would all love to get paid more to do less, but in the NFL and all the pro sports I think starting is a major pride thing. With that being said, I think you take the starting job every time.

Of course, Cassel may regret the move 'after the fact' because none of those teams can provide the weapons and coaching that the Patriots provided. However, Matt needs to make the leap to another team so he can find out first hand if it was the right or wrong move.

I would always rather be a starter. You only have so many years as an NFL player. If I was good enough to start in this league, I would want to start even for a crappy team. Both Atlanta and Miami have shown even with what looked to be horribly mismanaged franchises, their fortune could turn around on a dime. I don't know if it is likely, but did anyone think that the Dolphins would win the AFC East this year?

If I were a competitive guy like Cassel, I would take the $14 million, and gamble for the BIGEST PRIZE of all. I believe in my talent, and wouild roll the dice for a chance to inherit the STARTING QB JOB, for the rebuilt Super Bowl favorite, as set by Las Vegas oddsmakers.

Why should I settle for starting for a perrenial loser?

I'd roll the dice, and compete for the job, for the Coach who is brutally, ruthlessly, coldly, realistic, and is only concerned about winning today and tommorrow; and not yesterday's headlines. I'd rather play for The best Coach in the league, and his power house team. I can see he has already rebuilt it.

A Coach, who has a track record of dumping the "irreplaceble" aging Star QB, when a younger and talented guy comes along. There were QBs who were "irreplaceable" for this Coach, like Bernie Kosar, and Drew Bledsoe. Others may talk tht they would do it, he has. He replaced the "irreplaceable" one, not once but twice. Why not three times? Why not with me? I'm talented, and I even bring a running dimension that the incumbant doesn't. And I'm a half a dozen years Younger, than the other guy. My best days may be in front of me, his might be in yesterday's headlines.

If I'm Matt Cassel, I want the biggest prize of all in the NFL, to be the starting QB on the Super bowl favorite, the New England Patriots.

That is why I stayed at USC. I wanted to QB the best college team, the NCAA Champion. I didn't settle to go to Okeefenokee U just to play then, and it worked out OK. Why should I now? I'd compete for that biggest prize of all.:D:D:D

Last edited:

Starting job all the way. I don't think he'd mind being the backup for 1 more year if he had no other choice... but he's a wanted commodity now and he's had a taste of being the starter for a year. Any QB is hungry to play, otherwise you'd question their desire. I think Cassel is no exception. It's better to be the starter on a team that is rebuilding than holding the clipboard on a good team. Besides he's probably going into the situation with the attitude that he can turn around that team's fortunes if they give him the chance.

Last edited:
Of course he doesnt have the choice because we cannot pay him 14.5 mill to old a clipboard, and even if we could afford to, we certainly cannot afford to not have the upgrades we can make with that 14.5 mill AND the draft picks he brings.

Cassel would obviously prefer to START with the PATRIOTS but he knows that isn't going to happen. His second choice is to find a fat, long-term deal which will allow him to start and succeed. That is why I think he'd prefer KC (because he knows Pioli will give him good talent). The question is whether a deal can be made with KC. Both the Pats and Pioli are schrewd dealers with draft picks so they may not be able to find the right deal. Personally, I'd love to see Matt go to SF. Even if Pats were to get bast deal from Detroit, I hope he doesn't go there.

If I were Cassel, my preference would be:

1. Start for the Pats. That aint going to happen unless Brady's injury is much worse than suspect.

2. Start for a team with a reasonable chance of being a playoff contender or even SB threat - such as the Bucs, Bears or Vikings - where a solid long-term QB could put them over the top. The Jets might also fall into this category, but that aint going to happen (unless they give us their 1st round pick for the next decade). The Panthers might also fall into this group, but they have too little cap space and no 1st round pick this year.

3. Start for a team with reasonable talent but a history of losing where Cassel could be the potential savior. SF, KC, Detroit and St. Louis all fall into this category.

There are 3 others factors I would consider:

- Give preference to a team where Cassel has a connection, such as Kansas City with Pioli. Obviously Denver would be good, but won't happen with Cutler.
- Give preference to a team where there is good OL and WR talent to work with. It makes no sense to go somewhere where you are running for your life, and where there is no talent to catch the ball. Detroit actually has good OL and WR talent. Not sure whether that can overcome their dysfunctional FO.
- Not sure whether Cassel would prefer to go to a west coast team such as SF (I know he is from LA, not SF), all other things considered.

If I'm Matt Cassel, I'm wondering where the choice for Nancy Kerriganing Brady's knee is in this poll. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News